• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

A Dime for Your Thoughts, Al

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Some interview chum from Mr. Horford, via DimeMag:

http://dimemag.com/2013/08/al-horford-the-last-man-standing-in-atlanta/ (2 pages)

Ironically, Millsap’s arrival forces Horford to continue to play out of position at center, which is something he hoped would end with Smith’s exodus.

“Yeah, you know I was kind of dealing with that all summer because I was under the impression that I was going to play power forward and that is my natural position,” Horford says. “But once I saw all the moves that the team made and I talked to coach, they kind of made me understand how their system works and how they feel I can be successful at center. It’s up to me. I am embracing that and I’m going to make the most out of playing center and be the best I can be.”

He is looking at Jeff Teague, one of Atlanta’s few returning players, to help him lead the Hawks next season.

“I think that he is probably the most important part to our team’s success,” Horford says. “Jeff has proven that he can be really good with his game and I’m expecting a lot of big things out of him this season.”

“It’s a fairly new team so right now, looking at us on paper, I can’t tell you that we’ll be top five or a playoff team,” Horford says. “I don’t know. It’s more about us just getting together and figuring some things out.”

When asked if he wanted to retire as an Atlanta Hawk, he was again honest, making it clear that winning was of the utmost importance in his future decision.

“Well, I’m not sure,” he says. “I think it’s always good to keep your options open. I think I have time to determine how our team is doing and the steps that we are taking to be great…So if we’re competitive here and we feel good about what we have then yes. If not then I might have to reconsider.”

When asked who would be on his All-NBA team, he named Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard. After some clarification if he could include himself, Horford quickly replaced Gasol.

“Oh, I put myself at power forward,” he said. “Man, no question about it that’s definitely how I feel.”

Nevertheless, winning a championship is all that Horford wants to be remembered for on the court. When asked if there was anything else he wanted to accomplish, Horford was almost speechless: “Wow. Other than winning a NBA title? Man, all I think about is winning and being able to compete and being in a position to do something special. I am really just all about the team and winning. That’s probably the one thing I want to be remembered for.”

~lw3

• Like 1

Hey Al? You been working on your game? Any big man camps?

Take a page from Roy Hibbert:

For the past few years, Pacers center Roy Hibbert has spent time during his summer working out with some of the all-time great big men in NBA history. Three years ago, it was Hall of Famer center Bill Walton. More recently, it has been with Tim Duncan — one of the most consistent and talented bigs in the league over the last three decades. Since being drafted No. 1 by the Spurs in 1997, he has led them to incredible success, including four NBA Titles. Pacers.com

I'm sure Coach Bud can hook you up with 'Timmay'

• Moderators

Man I'd hate to see Al in a different jersey in a couple years, but it sounds like if the Hawks lose him, it'll be Ferry and the Hawks fault. Horf is going to go out there and ball regardless, but we better be making a serious, nobody-is-safe-type push for Noah or somebody at the deadline/next offseason. He's been out of position for far too long. My proposed three-way trade seems fair to me:

I thought they were looking to dump Nelson and move Oladipo to PG because they feel he can be a Westbrook/Evans type PG. Then they were going to start Harkless at SG with Harris at 3.

Not meaning to thread jack, but trade that makes more sense at the deadline is Asik to Chicago, Noah to Atlanta, and Millsap to Houston. Dwight/Millsap would be deadly, Chicago has said they'd take back Asik and he is cheaper than Noah, and Atlanta finally gets there center to move Horf to 4 and one that Horf knows and fits what Ferry/Bud want in a player. Salaries line up too.

Man I'd hate to see Al in a different jersey in a couple years, but it sounds like if the Hawks lose him, it'll be Ferry and the Hawks fault. Horf is going to go out there and ball regardless, but we better be making a serious, nobody-is-safe-type push for Noah or somebody at the deadline/next offseason. He's been out of position for far too long. My proposed three-way trade seems fair to me:

This was my biggest beef with the off-season. I wanted to see us get a true big. We could have easily traded peanuts for Bogut, made a run at Pek or other option. I really wanted a C, Horf, Smith front line. Now I'll probably have none of the 3 in a few years.

we are not getting noah. the bulls value him way too highly.

You are not a hawks fan if you don't like horford. Man this guy is one hell of a player. He is all about winning and winning only. He's not worried about self prizes just the big prize.We can never lose horford he's just too valuable on the court. The way he thinks, his leadership! Dude has the whole package to be apart of a championship team! I never saw that in Johnson or smith. I hope Teague shows this same passion!A couple of things horford mentioned stand out to me:-He said Teague makes this team go! He's right about that. If Teague plays with confidence and aggressiveness the hawks will be good. It really is up to Teague this season and horford is expecting alot out of him and so am I. Just really good point from horford that Teague by default will be the lead dog of this years team and how far he goes is how far the hawks will go unless Dennis amazes us out of nowhere.-Last unlike many of you it sounds to me that horford is actually enthused about playing center under coach bud. It sounds like coach bud has explained to horford why he can be an even better center than he was before. Horford said after talking to coach bud and understanding how the team will be coached he sees why bud wants him at center. Lets all remember that horford made 2 all star appearances playing center! Even being undersized against some centers he is still a top 5 center in this league. Better coaching will only make him better.The hawks need Bangers not a true 7 foot center! BANGERS!!! I told you guys Ferry has already signed true centers of the league today! The avg. center in the league is 6"10 weight 250. Horford is that! Height means nothing without body. We have plenty of bangers on this hawks team who will be aggressive in the paint. You guys are going to be surprised!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think this is going to be a really good team. What Horford doesn't want to do is have to defend Howard, Hibbert, Lopez, and the big guys. That takes a lot to keep those guys out of the paint. LD took care of this for the most part by using the big lineup with Josh at the 3. I don't know if we will have something similar or not under Bud. He strikes me as a guy who will have a more stable starting lineup.

As for Teague I really think he's going to explode this year. He has a lot of guys who can catch and shoot and no real ball stoppers. Plus his long jumper is consistent despite being unconventional.

• Premium Member

keeping AL at the 5 means we will continue to get killed on the inside by physical frontcourts players and will lead to more quick playoff exits.

Agreed. This continued insistence on playing Al at the 5 will only continue to prove itself to be an epic fail in the long run and will eventually lead to Al leaving in free agency if he's not traded first.

keeping AL at the 5 means we will continue to get killed on the inside by physical frontcourts players and will lead to more quick playoff exits.

its so sad that you guys even think this! Maybe some of you have never seen Elton Brand or Paul Milsap play! These two guys are physical players in the paint! This isnt the same soft ass hawks team during the johnson & smith era! We have some Bangers on this team I tell you...let me name them for you

Brand-physical

Milsap-physical

Carroll-physical

Horford-physical

even korver can be a overly physical player alot of times on the court. We dont have that charles barkley soft team any more! Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, Josh Smith were all non physical players. Apparently that rubbed off on teague but I think teague is going to change that this year.