• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks vs. Charlotte Bobnets Preseason 7:30 EST Game Thread

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

So who gets to shoulder the burden (sorry, I'm in preseason joke form) for Goose?

~lw3

So who gets to shoulder the burden (sorry, I'm in preseason joke form) for Goose?

~lw3

Winning preseason games is not as important as seeing who fits and keeping the injuries down. Brand will probably get some burn tonight. 20 minutes or so. Similar to what most of the players got last night.

• Like 1

I'd like to see as much of Millsap, Brand, Scott, Johnson and Antić as possible. We know Horford is an all-star caliber player for us so we might as well see what we have with the others (I'd like to see Millsap get a solid offensive workload as well).

Shame on Ayón. The dude can ball.

Self-evident: Scott is the real deal, Royal Ivey should land the 3rd string PG spot, DMC is a starter, Lou and Jenk's scoring is sorely missed.

• Like 2

Scott was the only one who really impressed tonight. Horford impressed in GM1. Dennis hit the game winner but he really is not showing that great feel that many thinks he has. He was part of the unit that blew that big lead and turns it over way too much. 4-15 is bad but even worse when you see that a lot of that is caused by him holding the ball too long. I do like that he is not shy though. I agree Ivey may add more than Shelvin.

Scott was the only one who really impressed tonight. Horford impressed in GM1. Dennis hit the game winner but he really is not showing that great feel that many thinks he has. He was part of the unit that blew that big lead and turns it over way too much. 4-15 is bad but even worse when you see that a lot of that is caused by him holding the ball too long. I do like that he is not shy though. I agree Ivey may add more than Shelvin.

Dennis will get it in time. Give him a couple of seasons. He looks great for a rookie to me. Millsap was solid to me as well. Already a big fan of Carroll.

Thing is, Scott has been solid since LAST preseason. He was hitting clutch 3's way back then, which is pretty significant for someone who religiously plays down low. Like someone else mentioned in this thread, if Scott isn't in the lineup this season, I'm going to seriously question that decision. I understand that you want to weigh your options and whatever, but this dude seems like a lock to me. Dude has a reasonable contract, plays smart, is very efficient, if given the minutes he can put up big numbers, and can play 3/4.

Brand with 7 blocks?

Dennis has to take better care of the ball.

Earlier in the summer I posted an article on here somewhere about how Brand was found to be one of the best shot-alterers in the league (if alterer is a word - alters more shots than almost anyone else). That translates into a lot on the court, even though it doesn't always result in that many actual blocks. Glad to see he's getting the box score numbers to reflect his worth. I was worried because during the scrimmage at Philips the other day he didn't do much of anything.

Thing is, Scott has been solid since LAST preseason. He was hitting clutch 3's way back then, which is pretty significant for someone who religiously plays down low. Like someone else mentioned in this thread, if Scott isn't in the lineup this season, I'm going to seriously question that decision. I understand that you want to weigh your options and whatever, but this dude seems like a lock to me. Dude has a reasonable contract, plays smart, is very efficient, if given the minutes he can put up big numbers, and can play 3/4.

Earlier in the summer I posted an article on here somewhere about how Brand was found to be one of the best shot-alterers in the league (if alterer is a word - alters more shots than almost anyone else). That translates into a lot on the court, even though it doesn't always result in that many actual blocks. Glad to see he's getting the box score numbers to reflect his worth. I was worried because during the scrimmage at Philips the other day he didn't do much of anything.

The article you are referencing discussed how Brand was great at position defense, using his body as a tool. When a player is in the right position, they are able to take advantages of mistakes other players make. For this reason, Brand may be on his way out as a pro, but he'll make a lucrative living as a big man coach.

Early in his career, Brand was a much more athletic guy. But injuries forced him to learn to play his position without the great athleticism when he was a 20/10 guy. Many guys in his position fold up the tent (see Shawn Kemp). Brand dedicated himself to the craft of position defense. He was always a good athletic defender. After the legs came back post injury, Brand found himself to be a better player because of it. If he had learned those lessons 5 years into his career, he would have been in the conversation of one of the best ever.

Brand is a great example of woulda/shoulda/coulda players. He is a great guy and I would bet becomes a coach one day.

• Like 2

Made the short trip to Asheville from Greenville last night.

- Dennis has a ton of potential but like any 19 year old rookie, he's going to have some rough spots. Sessions absolutely carved him up and baited him into numerous fouls last night. Dennis also fell in love with the 3 a little too much last night, most of the just rimming out. On the other hand he stayed aggressive and had a couple of really impressive pocket passes on sideline pick n rolls.

- Scott absolutely has a place on this team. He can stroke it and kind of reminds me of a poor man's Milsap.

- Milsap and DMC are going to be fan favorites. Both guys hustle and give 100% on every play. I was pleasantly surprised by DMC's ability to finish around the basket.

- Speaking of finishing around the basket (or lack thereof) Wilkins had a really, really rought night. Pretty sure he doesn't make the team (Not that there was much of a chance to anyways)

- Like what was said before Ivey > Mack.

- All in all this team's well constructed. Hopefully BeBe and Muscala can improved in Spain and come in ready to play next year along with our 2014 draft picks, should be a influx of talent next season.

• Like 2