• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Can Mike Scott play the SF position?

JTB

Mike Scott is really impressing many hawk fans especially these past 2 preseason games. I know its a little early but can Scott play the 3? I mean he has the shooting range to play the 3 as I look at his highlights.......Im just not sure about the defense......If he can that would be a hell of a good 3 coming off the bench!

The way Im looking at this hawks roster and just by what other hawk fans are saying it seems that everybody loves DMC and are saying he's a definite lock at starter (Which doesnt surprise me, I knew hawk fans would love this guy he's a 6'7 tony allen!) and everybody is now falling in love with Mike Scotts play!

Based off that I expect the lineup to look drastically different than most of us thought it was going to turn out to be especially since Lou is hurt. Im expecting something like this from Coach Bud....

pg-Teague

Sg-Korver

SF-DMC

PF-Milsap

C-Horford

even if lou is healthy I say Bud keeps him on the bench (now that lineup has been talked about before but Im going to throw this one out there and say "hey its possible" IF........

pg-Teague

sg-DMC

sf-Mike Scott

pf-Milsap

c-Horford

...........Mike Scott can play the 3 position on defense, the tools are there on offense obviously.

By the way our bench is pretty solid Brand is a beast off the bench at this point! Whens the last time we actually had a quality BIG coming off the BENCH! Jenkins will benefit from this system because he can shoot, Our rookie PG is in a learning curve he will be ok.

All in all just to give a bit of excitement around here I think that this team has defensive players with decent size and the offensive power to put up a ton of points. In my opinion its all up to Teague or Horford to push us over the top as true contenders! Can they?....We will see.

Offense - Scott can play 3, 4 and even some 5 (limited).

Defense - Scott is a 4. He lacks the lateral quicks and ups to stay with/chase most 3's. He lacks the pure bulk and positioning to challenge 5's. This is why his rebounding numbers are soft and he slid some on draft night. He lacks the hops to out jump guys for rebounds and the bulk to out muscle them.

Scott is a very, very, very smart player which is how he was so effective in college. Every team needs a Mike Scott on the floor. It is funny that Scott and Josh Smith were my favorite players because they played the same position and their games are total opposites. Scott gets it done without superior athleticism but instead is constantly doing the right thing. Smith gets it done on pure athleticism and more times than not does before he thinks. Many times it was mad science but always amazing to watch (good and bad).

I love Scott as a Hawk and believe he can be a very good pro (better than Sap) if Bud takes his lumps and puts him on the floor in the regular rotation. Scott will need to work on his body and tenacity but the rest, the mental part/work ethic he is miles ahead of other 2nd year players.

• Admin

Mike Scott is really impressing many hawk fans especially these past 2 preseason games. I know its a little early but can Scott play the 3? I mean he has the shooting range to play the 3 as I look at his highlights.......Im just not sure about the defense......If he can that would be a hell of a good 3 coming off the bench! The way Im looking at this hawks roster and just by what other hawk fans are saying it seems that everybody loves DMC and are saying he's a definite lock at starter (Which doesnt surprise me, I knew hawk fans would love this guy he's a 6'7 tony allen!) and everybody is now falling in love with Mike Scotts play! Based off that I expect the lineup to look drastically different than most of us thought it was going to turn out to be especially since Lou is hurt. Im expecting something like this from Coach Bud.... pg-TeagueSg-KorverSF-DMCPF-MilsapC-Horford even if lou is healthy I say Bud keeps him on the bench (now that lineup has been talked about before but Im going to throw this one out there and say "hey its possible" IF........ pg-Teaguesg-DMCsf-Mike Scottpf-Milsapc-Horford ...........Mike Scott can play the 3 position on defense, the tools are there on offense obviously. By the way our bench is pretty solid Brand is a beast off the bench at this point! Whens the last time we actually had a quality BIG coming off the BENCH! Jenkins will benefit from this system because he can shoot, Our rookie PG is in a learning curve he will be ok. All in all just to give a bit of excitement around here I think that this team has defensive players with decent size and the offensive power to put up a ton of points. In my opinion its all up to Teague or Horford to push us over the top as true contenders! Can they?....We will see.

I don't see Scott as a 3 but if u did start him at 3 I would not sit Korver. People underestimate KK's importance. The way he spreads the floor really opens it up for the rest of the team. You must always have a defender on Korver otherwise he will make u pay from 3. That takes away a lot of the double teams.

Right now, Hawks have a boatload of players on their pre season roster.

Hopefully, we will have some we can keep and send down to our D-league

team. I believe that our current team of coaches and GM believe in using

this as another tool.

While we don't yet know who will be our regular starting five, once the season

is under way, we can already see that we are going to be deep in good players

on the bench, whoever they are, to take us from the 5 starters to our 12 active.

I'm a fan of Scott and believe he will be an asset for us. As we think about our

roster for next season and next season's draft, remember this. Hawks have

two centers we drafted this summer who are playing over seas and should be

ready to join the team next season.

• Moderators

Man we have a lot of guys who'd prefer to play PF: Horford, milsap, brand, scott, Antić.

I wouldn't mind seeing scott play some 3. I don't know if he can defend it but we had Smoove defending the 3 last year on some guys. I agree that he has been impressive almost every time he's hit the floor for the Hawks.

We can go big at times with Scott at the three; in a similar manner the Celtics went big the past few seasons with Jeff Green. Green is quicker but they are similar. The difference is KG, and Boston's D in general, could make up for Green's weakness on defense at the small forward spot.

San Antonio has historically used a shooter, who also makes cuts into the paint, at the small forward spot. Any good coach should be able to adapt but Scott at the 3 would require a rim protector on D IMO.

Edited by Buzzard

Scott has really impressed me so far this year, offensively he could play the 3 but I think he lacks the quickness to guard most 3's.

The only time I could really see us putting him in at the 3 is if we need to be really physical on offense, like we did with smoove at times last year.

He can against certain offenses. No way in hell he is guarding LBJ, Melo, even Rudy Gay type of players. It is a SF league imo and he would have too tough of a time guarding them.

He can against certain offenses. No way in hell he is guarding LBJ, Melo, even Rudy Gay type of players. It is a SF league imo and he would have too tough of a time guarding them.

I can see:

Brand, Horford, Scott

Ayón, Brand, Scott

Ayón, Horford, Scott being on the floor at the same time.

It a little tougher for me to see Horford, Millsap, Scott on the floor at the same time.

Edited by Buzzard