• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jabari Parker (or Wiggins) vs. Al Horford

Diesel

• Premium Member

Here's the question. As we go into the future, do we put more of our chips on Big Al or do we put more of our chips on the possibility of getting Parker, Wiggins, or Randle (not mentioned previously).

I guess that is what this season will come down to.

This is the strongest draft since prolly Smoove's draftclass. Even though Marvin's draft class might be better... (it's bad memories), Smoove's produced a lot of stars. D12, Iggy, Jefferson, Smoove, etc. The pundits are ranking this class up there with Lebron's class.

The question is do you blow the wad for a chance at those guys or do you stick with Horf and build around him?

Here's the question. As we go into the future, do we put more of our chips on Big Al or do we put more of our chips on the possibility of getting Parker, Wiggins, or Randle (not mentioned previously).

I guess that is what this season will come down to.

This is the strongest draft since prolly Smoove's draftclass. Even though Marvin's draft class might be better... (it's bad memories), Smoove's produced a lot of stars. D12, Iggy, Jefferson, Smoove, etc. The pundits are ranking this class up there with Lebron's class.

The question is do you blow the wad for a chance at those guys or do you stick with Horf and build around him?

Even if we lose the most games you have 25% chance of getting one of those guys. After that I put it at about 50/50 on them being as good or better than Horf in the future. I put our chances of winning a championship with Horf @ 60%. Why? Because he has gotten to the playoffs every year he has been here.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Even if we lose the most games you have 25% chance of getting one of those guys. After that I put it at about 50/50 on them being as good or better than Horf in the future. I put our chances of winning a championship with Horf @ 60%. Why? Because he has gotten to the playoffs every year he has been here.

Not so fast my friend. You're talking about if there were only 1 guy. If we are the worst team, we will be no worst than 4th.

That's Wiggins, Parker, Randle, and Emblid. All of those guys are stars. You also have Smart and Robinson III.

• Premium Member

I love Horf, but you're not going to contend for titles if he's your BEST player. He's just not that kind of player. So if that's the Hawks plan, then yuck.Obviously you would want to get that guy while keeping Horf. The problem is how can you do it?

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1

While I agree that next year's draft looks great on paper, and on TV...but there's no guarantees. One thing is for certain, Al has proven himself as a cornerstone and an all-star for this team. While I agree, that we may not contend for a championship with him as our best player...and that's the point...but when have we ever contended for a championship anyway?? Ever...? Point being, I hope Al sticks with the Hawks. And I hope we get lucky in the draft...

• Like 2

Not so fast my friend. You're talking about if there were only 1 guy. If we are the worst team, we will be no worst than 4th.

That's Wiggins, Parker, Randle, and Emblid. All of those guys are stars. You also have Smart and Robinson III.

I'm sold on Smart too but I don't think a PG is what we will be looking for. Though Smart has the size to play some SG too.

Aaron Gordon is stud as well. He is right up there with those other 3 "diaper dandies."

I like Robinson III but he is not in the same class as these other guys. Robinson III and his teamate, McGary, would be real nice between 9-15.

I'm also interested in seeing how Isaiah Austin's game, and body, grow this year. He has the potential to bust into the top 5 IF he begins to reach his potential.

Edited by coachx

The question seems to be:If, after the draft order is decided, which is obviously after the season,would you be willing to trade Horford for one of the top lottery picks?Maybe, since many are thoroughly convinced that Dennis is a muchsuperior PG to JT, would you be willing to do a two for one swapto draft this lottery pick all star?Sure, the money has to work out, but I'm sure that could be done some how.====

As nice as it'd be to get one of those "Top 3" guys, I just don't think it's realistic. As coachx said, I doubt any other GM is going to be trading out of the Top 3-5 range. There seems to be so much talent deep in this class that I really don't see the need to clean house for an 18-19 year old kid who's proven nothing yet (Wiggins).

I'd be totally fine being in the teens and ending up with a SF like Dario Saric, Sam Dekker, Mario Hezonja, Chris Walker, James Young, etc.

• Premium Member

The question seems to be:If, after the draft order is decided, which is obviously after the season,would you be willing to trade Horford for one of the top lottery picks?Maybe, since many are thoroughly convinced that Dennis is a muchsuperior PG to JT, would you be willing to do a two for one swapto draft this lottery pick all star?Sure, the money has to work out, but I'm sure that could be done some how.====

I seriously doubt any GM would trade a pick that high for Teague or Horford.

• Premium Member

As nice as it'd be to get one of those "Top 3" guys, I just don't think it's realistic. As coachx said, I doubt any other GM is going to be trading out of the Top 3-5 range. There seems to be so much talent deep in this class that I really don't see the need to clean house for an 18-19 year old kid who's proven nothing yet (Wiggins). I'd be totally fine being in the teens and ending up with a SF like Dario Saric, Sam Dekker, Mario Hezonja, Chris Walker, James Young, etc.

The only problem with that is those guys might not get us off this perpetual treadmill.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm sold on Smart too but I don't think a PG is what we will be looking for. Though Smart has the size to play some SG too.

Aaron Gordon is stud as well. He is right up there with those other 3 "diaper dandies."

I like Robinson III but he is not in the same class as these other guys. Robinson III and his teamate, McGary, would be real nice between 9-15.

I'm also interested in seeing how Isaiah Austin's game, and body, grow this year. He has the potential to bust into the top 5 IF he begins to reach his potential.

I through with potential.

I have wiggins low on my list. I have Parker followed by Randle and Embil so far.

Agree here. Although I'm in the camp that'd be just fine losing Horford if it means we land a real star, the ideal scenario would be us being bad enough to land the star we need while keeping the team somewhat intact.

I'm fully willing to accept the risk but the ASG clearly is not. Seems the perennial championship-caliber teams have all been bad at times (strategically?) and emerge from it on top. I know why our franchise is scared to do it ($$$), but as the old adage goes ... scared money don't make no money.

Also, I don't know where sultan gets that 60% figure. That's crazy talk.

Well, honestly it is ridiculous to put percentages on an individual winning you a title. Teams win titles. But, I say 60% because half of the battle is getting to the playoffs. Horford has been to the second round several times, so that is another 10%. He has(not alone mind you) accomplished 60% of the job. So we know he is up to that part of the task. The other 40% is what he is lacking. But, these kids are not guaranteed to do that much. When Horford came out he was the 3rd pick in the Oden, Durant draft. Wouldn't draft this guy this year for this team?

atthew Maurer - 12/14/2006
Strengths: Runs extremely well, able to beat most forwards down the court Is blessed with an NBA ready body and good strength Defensively Horford is a very strong post defender able to use his body strength to disrupt opposing players from setting up Solid shot blocker thanks to his timing and great anticipation skills Attacks the basket with aggression and power A surprising ball handler and passer for his size This enables him to pass out of double teams with relative ease Is physical in the low post and does a good job of drawling fouls from opposing defenders Usually he is able to use his upper body strength and finish after contact Really makes a big impact on the glass where he uses his body strength to box out Has proven to be a very coachable player with a solid work ethic Possesses a calm presence, doesnt let his emotions get the best of him Shows good court awareness, rarely does he try moves that are beyond his skill level Has shown the ability to hit the 12-15 foot jumper from mid-range Maintains good body control and balance absorbing contact well from opposing post defenders Rarely bobbles or fails to catch passes thrown into the post thanks to his soft hands

Weaknesses: Offensively, Horford lacks consistent shooting from mid-range and the perimeter Defensively Horford tends to get into foul trouble at times due to his aggressiveness Although his back to the basket skills are greatly improved, they are still in need of refinement Post footwork can be choppy. By improving this, Horford will become a lot more effective post player Has a tendency to defer to his teammates instead of establishing his presence in the game Still hasnt played with the consistency that you except with someone of his talent Can drift at times during games. Will have one dominating game followed by several so-so performances fails to get rebounds out of his position the way he should Below average free throw shooting prevents him from taking full advantage of the foul shots he creates

Best draft class since 2003. No GM would do this but I'd trade Horford for a top 5 pick in 2014 draft. Definitely a top 3 without question, but possibly even top 5. But it would never happen anyways.

Golly gee!The top three draft picks and possibly the top five are superior playersto Horford. Wow!Horford is already an established NBA player and he's been to the all stargame already. Right now, for the next few seasons, he's in his prime.With all that, including the fact that his college team won it all, there are atleast three and possibly five kids in college right now that are already superiorto him.All I can say is, WOW! These kids have to be super great, as in King Jamesgreat. And, just think. There are at least three and possibly five of them!!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Golly gee!The top three draft picks and possibly the top five are superior playersto Horford. Wow!Horford is already an established NBA player and he's been to the all stargame already. Right now, for the next few seasons, he's in his prime.With all that, including the fact that his college team won it all, there are atleast three and possibly five kids in college right now that are already superiorto him.All I can say is, WOW! These kids have to be super great, as in King Jamesgreat. And, just think. There are at least three and possibly five of them!!

No ones disputing that Horf's a good player. But his ceiling as a player is already known while the ceiling of these young guys is not. GMs are unlikely to risk trading a guy who could become an all nba/superstar player for a guy who is just a good player.

The only problem with that is those guys might not get us off this perpetual treadmill.

Exactly!!!

Those guys are not gonna do anything for us

There's also no guarantee that Wiggins, Parker, or Randle will be the superstars they're hyped to be.

I'm just being realistic, there's basically zero chance the Hawks score a Top 5 pick, so it makes much more sense to focus on players we actually have a chance to draft (like the guys I mentioned).