• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Net Watch - Atlanta's Right To Swap 1st Round Picks With Brooklyn

coachx

I don't think the Hawks applied for the exception. Seems silly as we've trimmed payroll a good bit this year already but I guess they want flexibility going forward. As to the Nets I'm sure the bajillionaire owner won't mind spending a little more coinage

I don't think the Hawks applied for the exception. Seems silly as we've trimmed payroll a good bit this year already but I guess they want flexibility going forward.As to the Nets I'm sure the bajillionaire owner won't mind spending a little more coinage

We would be f***ing morons if we didn't. It does not cost anything to apply. It only costs us money if we go out and sign a player with it.

Edited by hawksfanatic

We would be f***ing morons if we didn't. It does not cost anything to apply. It only costs us money if we go out and sign a player with it.

Yep, better to have it and not need it as opposed to needing it and don't have it.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Then what's the point of having to apply for it? Doesn't make sense if that's the case. But even weirder if Ferry, or any other team for that matter, would still fail to apply. Maybe there is some other disadvantage for applying and then not using it. Edited by Ruckus

Then what's the point of having to apply for it? Doesn't make sense if that's the case. But even weirder if Ferry, or any other team for that matter, would still fail to apply. Maybe there is some other disadvantage for applying and then not using it.

That's what I'm wondering as there's got to be a reason why they wouldn't.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Gig 'em, Iggy!

To get to #8 by the end of the night, the Nets have to beat the Dubs, while Smoove and the Pistons have to keep their losing streak going at Toronto. Detroit is 2-0 against Brooklyn so far, and hold a head-to-head tiebreaker if it comes to that later on.

~lw3

Why would I make that up? And obviously since we haven't and apparently weren't allowed to, it seems to be true, right?

Brook Lopez was injured almost a week before Al Horford. We just now found out the NBA granted the Nets the DPE. Doctors take some time.

And if we don't get the DPE? It is not because we are under the salary cap. It would be because the NBA did not think Al Horford had a season-ending injury. Or we never applied, but I doubt we didn't apply.

Disabled Player Exception

Allows a team that is over the cap to acquire a replacement for a disabled player who will be out for either the remainder of that season (for in-season injuries/deaths) or the next season (if the disability occurs during the offseason). The maximum salary of the replacement player is either 50% of the injured player's salary, or the mid-level exception for a non-taxpaying team, whichever is less. This exception requires an NBA-designated doctor to verify the extent of the injury. Under the 2005 CBA, a team could sign a player under this exception for five years; the 2011 CBA now allows this only for one year.[6]

Note that while teams can often use one exception to sign multiple players, they cannot use a combination of exceptions to sign a single player.

Disabled Player Exception

Allows a team that is over the cap to acquire a replacement for a disabled player who will be out for either the remainder of that season (for in-season injuries/deaths) or the next season (if the disability occurs during the offseason). The maximum salary of the replacement player is either 50% of the injured player's salary, or the mid-level exception for a non-taxpaying team, whichever is less. This exception requires an NBA-designated doctor to verify the extent of the injury. Under the 2005 CBA, a team could sign a player under this exception for five years; the 2011 CBA now allows this only for one year.[6]

Note that while teams can often use one exception to sign multiple players, they cannot use a combination of exceptions to sign a single player.

Wikipedia is citing an article where Larry Coon discusses the Disabled Player Exception changes. The change? That the new DPE is only for 1 season. Before you could sign for 5.

Disabled player exception

2005 CBA: Five years, starting at the lesser of half the replaced player's salary or the average salary, with 8 percent raises.

2011 CBA: One year, starting at the lesser of half the replaced player's salary or the non-taxpayer midlevel exception.

Who benefits? This exception provides teams with the ability to sign an emergency replacement for an injured player. Under the previous CBA, the player could be signed to a five-year contract, meaning a permanent replacement could be obtained. This also opened the door to situations where the injured player returned to the team while his replacement was still on the roster. By reducing to one year in the new CBA, this exception will more closely match its intent -- to provide a short-term emergency replacement for an injured player. Teams will now have to fend for themselves if the player's injury keeps him out for more than a year.

http://www.webcitation.org/63ZuFTeEO

These buffoons are thinking that exceptions are only for teams over the cap. That is not correct. Exceptions allow a team to exceed the cap. Sometimes these exceptions have capholds (DPE does) and those exceptions+their caphold do push a team over the cap.

In this scenario, the Hawks would get a DPE worth $5.25m. They are roughly ~$1.8m below the cap. Granting the DPE would erase that cap room, but who cares about that cap room??? We would have the DPE and the Room Mid-Level Exception.

• Admin

This is such a frustrating season ... Bkn is now winning....the east sucks and with Al gone we are not going to go anywhere but we will make the playoffs....with Al out it was more interesting to watch the Nets fate...even with Deron out they are winning....ugh