• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Net Watch - Atlanta's Right To Swap 1st Round Picks With Brooklyn

coachx

• Moderators

I'm still on the glass-half-full end!

If you told me back in Halloween that a few months into the season that the Nets were clinging to an 8th seed, I would probably start hyperventilating. It's a beautiful thing.

3-1/2 more games for the Nets and they're tied for the 4th seed w/ Toronto. But 3-1/2 games the other way? They'd be tied for next-to-last in the East! Yeah, they're rising near the top of the muck... but they're still mired in muck!

~lw3

• Like 3

You'd think for once we would catch a break. How in the world have they won 4 in a row. What on earth is going on. Smh. Ok bball Gods, we sincerely apologize for trading Nique 20 years ago. We made a huge mistake. It was our curse of the Niquebino. Please please excuse us and give us a break in some way.Sincerely,The Hawks

• Moderators

This thread is so long that I can only hope I'm not reiterating, but Joe has got to be fully cognizant of how his legacy is tied to NBA (a) being a key cog of probably the highest-salaried roster ever to fail making it to the postseason, and (b) the prospect of the Nets' failures to reach the playoffs in 2014 and/or 2015 directly benefiting the team that gave up on him and shipped him away. I imagine Joe is going to do everything in his power to keep those things from happening. Whether "everything in his power" is enough, though, remains to be seen.

We also have to remember that January is Joe Time. He makes this run every season to get in NBA coaches' heads before their All-Star voting is up. The balloting returns update from popular voting is coming soon, but in the December returns, George Hill (among the backcourt voting options, along with Joe) and Josh Smith (among the much more crowded frontcourt options) have more votes than Joe, now Brooklyn's leading scorer. That's not good, and he uses this time of the season to remind people of that. Joe's January stats always dwarf anything he does in November or December. But keep an eye on how Joe is performing in February, after the coaches' votes are in.

~lw3

• Like 4

So uh yeah, thanks to that guy for jinxing Joe Johnson back into beast mode. Smh. The dream was good while it lasted.

He's been helping carry them lately, I'll give him that. One thing I always liked about him is he takes advantage of a size mismatch 100% of the time. It won't last, though. They can't possibly be that far removed from the horrible team they were early on: that "give them time to gel" bit is so played in the NBA, especially when talking about seasoned vets who've seen every offensive and defensive set in the book. They're in the middle of where they are now (beating us, GS, and OKC) and what they have shown (blown out by mediocre teams and consecutive games). Their playoff fate won't be determined until the final week. We're still in this.

We also have to remember that January is Joe Time. He makes this run every season to get in NBA coaches' heads before their All-Star voting is up. The balloting returns update from popular voting is coming soon, but in the December returns, George Hill (among the backcourt voting options, along with Joe) and Josh Smith (among the much more crowded frontcourt options) have more votes than Joe, now Brooklyn's leading scorer. That's not good, and he uses this time of the season to remind people of that. Joe's January stats always dwarf anything he does in November or December. But keep an eye on how Joe is performing in February, after the coaches' votes are in.

~lw3

This !! It's funny - last night watching the highlights, I thought - It's that time of year when Joe makes his annual push to try and make the All-star game - no biggy, he will come back down to earth after the selections.

Joe is a very durable guy. He seems to play in 70+ games every season...(reverse jinx)...:-/

I'm guessing my reverse jinx is stronger than anyone's. Here's to Joe going vintage 20-5-5 and pushing for East POTM as the Nets run the table for the rest of the month. There. Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

He's been helping carry them lately, I'll give him that. One thing I always liked about him is he takes advantage of a size mismatch 100% of the time. It won't last, though. They can't possibly be that far removed from the horrible team they were early on: that "give them time to gel" bit is so played in the NBA, especially when talking about seasoned vets who've seen every offensive and defensive set in the book. They're in the middle of where they are now (beating us, GS, and OKC) and what they have shown (blown out by mediocre teams and consecutive games). Their playoff fate won't be determined until the final week. We're still in this.

They have been hit hard like a concrete block to the face kinda of hard with injuries. New players, new coach and injuries out the ass. Now that they have spent some time with each other and as guys get healthy they will go back to being a playoff team.

I hope, no, I seriously pray that for once EVER the Hawks get some kind of damn luck and the Nets blow it and we get their lottery pick. I just don't see it happening.

• Premium Member

This was fun and exciting while it lasted, but reality is setting in. Teams like Charlotte, Chicago and Washington are not going to keep the Knicks and Nets out of the playoffs. So, unless the Hawks fall apart, we'll be trying in vain once again to trade up in the draft.

Knicks shoot 54% against the Heat D without JR (hint, hint) and win by 10 with only 5 made free throws? You can't make that up. They did a great job on the glass and protecting the ball, but still. Let's Go, Woody! His job depends on winning the division, might as well help out the franchise who gave him his first HC gig. This win coupled with us beating Indy surely helps heal the sting of the buzzer beaters last week, but not all the way.

• Moderators

You don't say, ol' chap?

http://www.netsdaily.com/2014/1/10/5295638/were-rockets-interested-in-deron-williams-yes-are-they-now-no-reports

"They're shooting him up like a race horse," one rival executive told (CBS Sports' Ken) Berger.

Of course, of course...

~lw3

Joe really trying for Allstar selection - when do they announce the coaches selections.., hurry up already, This Nets winning is getting old real fast.

Edited by JayBirdHawk