• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will this finally be the year Al Horford finally gets the credit he deserve and the league will recognize him as star?

Hawkfan89

I been watching Al since he came into the league and he has improve every year with the Hawks while playing out of position (he's a true power forward). Not only is it my personal feeling that Al should be look to as force especially with his style of play, but he should be look at as a star as well. He just doesn't get enough credit for what he brings to the Hawks and he's over look by many sport outlets outside of Atlanta and even here in Atlanta I hear people say he's not that good. What's your opinion?

GO HAWKS!!!!

He still isn't being used for PnR's the way he should nor has Milsap but overall, he is one of the best players in the NBA right now. Not much you can say badly about him. For PF's, the only ones who are better is A. Davis and K. Love. For centers, he might be the 2nd best this season after Hibbert. He is clearly putting himself in another class but offensively, he is still not being used the way I would like. He is being used like Duncan, that's not ideal.

I think his name rings bells around the league. 2 time All-Star at his secondary position, and ESPN contributors named him the 20th best player in the league. Knock on wood, if he goes through a full healthy season like he hasn't had in some time, he'll get his due. He's too good (back to the basket game not withstanding) not to. Since his first day in the league, I always admired his Wes Unseld-style two hand rebounding and floor running. When he averaged a double double in his rookie season against the eventual Championship front line of Garnett and Perk in the First Round, I knew he was gonna do okay in this league. He had a few dominant regular season games versus Jermaine O'Neal, Shaq on his last leg, and Barngani and Bosh before that, though.

Edited by benhillboy

Al isn't a star. Good player. No star

It is hard to say he isn't. Gives you 18-20ppg, great team defense, and defend his position, high BBIQ. It's hard to say he isn't a top tier player. He not a top tier offensive player and that's evident.

Al isn't a star. Good player. No star

You have a very narrow definition of star then. Like Supes has said, the only PFs that are clear-cut better than him are Love and Davis. Horford is a top 5 PF and top 5 C. 18/10/3/1/1 on good efficiency? That's an all-star player.

Easy answer: No. He's an Atlanta Hawk.

(We all know, no matter how good he is, if he is a Hawk, he's no all star)

The same answer applies to JT or any other Hawk, no matter who or how good.

Posted Image

You have a very narrow definition of star then. Like Supes has said, the only PFs that are clear-cut better than him are Love and Davis. Horford is a top 5 PF and top 5 C. 18/10/3/1/1 on good efficiency? That's an all-star player.

There's a big difference between being an All Star and a "Star" player in the NBA, though.

Al is a legit All Star who has been snubbed of that honor multiple times, but he's not a true NBA star. This coming from someone who has called Horford their favorite player since before he was even in the NBA.

Edited by WakaFlocka

There's a big difference between being an All Star and a "Star" player in the NBA, though.

Al is a legit All Star who has been snubbed of that honor multiple times, but he's not a true NBA star. This coming from someone who has called Horford their favorite player since before he was even in the NBA.

I guess I define "star" differently. Is it mostly a marketing thing or is it actual player impact?

By my count the only superstars in the league are Lebron, Durant and CP3, with a couple of people borderline.

• Premium Member

It is hard to say he isn't. Gives you 18-20ppg, great team defense, and defend his position, high BBIQ. It's hard to say he isn't a top tier player. He not a top tier offensive player and that's evident.

When you call someone a star, it means that with the pressure on, they can get it done. The problem with Al is that he's easily shut down. He doesn't have a consistent goto move. What we have done is changed the offense to fit his best strengths: Speed and Stamina. If he keeps plodding down the middle every play, he will rack up points. That was part of Karl Malone's arsenal. Notice I said Part. When the game was on the line, Malone could get points. Horf in an iso situation is nothing. IN fact, Horf is what I would call Antiiso. That is why he's not a star. IF you want somebody who will get recognition this year, it will be Teague.

• Like 2

When you call someone a star, it means that with the pressure on, they can get it done. The problem with Al is that he's easily shut down. He doesn't have a consistent goto move. What we have done is changed the offense to fit his best strengths: Speed and Stamina. If he keeps plodding down the middle every play, he will rack up points. That was part of Karl Malone's arsenal. Notice I said Part. When the game was on the line, Malone could get points. Horf in an iso situation is nothing. IN fact, Horf is what I would call Antiiso. That is why he's not a star. IF you want somebody who will get recognition this year, it will be Teague.

In all fairness, Malone iso stats are terrible but let's continue to compare when one is out of the position and his PG is a scorer and the other is in position with the best passing PG in NBA history. So comparable.

This! I totally agree with this view of Horford. He's very shaky with his back to the basket or in iso situations (see reference: "jab step shawty"). If AL really began to seek out help from hall of fame centers and power forwards he will definitely become a more dynamic scorer in all areas.

This! I totally agree with this view of Horford. He's very shaky with his back to the basket or in iso situations (see reference: "jab step shawty"). If AL really began to seek out help from hall of fame centers and power forwards he will definitely become a more dynamic scorer in all areas.

I don't think Al is ever going to establish himself as a back to the basket type of player. In fact, I think he's moving more towards playing away from the rim as opposed to a post up player. By no means, am I comparing him to Karl Malone, but Malone relied heavily on jump shooting, fade away 12 footers, and playing off Stockton. I think Al is going to continue to improve his jump shooting and range, and not so much working with traditional centers to develop a low post game.

I haven't seen much of the New Anthony Davis, but his stat line looks like somebody made it up. 1 TO, 3.6 blocks and 2 steals is one thing, but 85% from the line exhibits outstanding IQ (Dwight!). His production blows Al's out the water, but I'd wait another season before I place him above Al, who knew how to win from day one. We all remember Amare' looking like a legend for a few years, now he's just an untradable contract who phantom blames injuries for his fall from grace.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Davis is the truth. I would have traded Al for him coming out of college and his production this year is basically expected maturation (although I would have expected this more like year 3 than year 2).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

In all fairness, Malone iso stats are terrible but let's continue to compare when one is out of the position and his PG is a scorer and the other is in position with the best passing PG in NBA history. So comparable.

If you really want to compare Horf with HOFer Karl Malone... Be my guest!!! Excuse my back!!