• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Hockey Assist

Admin

With the new SportsVu cameras the NBA are now tracking "hockey assists" and our boy Jeff Teague is in the top 10 at 1.7 per game.

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingPassing.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&sortField=AST_SEC&sortOrder=DES

Secondary Assists

Quantity of passes made by a player to the player who earned an assist on a made shot. Assister must make a pass within 2 seconds and 1 dribble for passer to earn a secondary assist.

• Like 2

The Hawks were 2nd in assists last year so it doesn't surprise me.

Yeah but people like to say we were mostly an iso offense under LD and that was clearly not the case. Even if a team are high in assists it doesn't necessarily mean they are making extra passes like this stat indicates. That's a good sign of a real motion offense.

• Like 1

I have long advocated to having the second assist using a hockey term be added to every player's official assist stat. Hockey has always recognized that the guy who makes the play isn't just the guy that directly made the last pass.

No suprise slashers like Wall and Teague rate high but pure PG's like Conley and CP3 does as well.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

No suprise slashers like Wall and Teague rate high but pure PG's like Conley and CP3 does as well.

I think players who penetrate to the hoop and dish it back out which then gets passed out to a corner three point or someone at the top of the key would greatly benefit from it.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I have long advocated to having the second assist using a hockey term be added to every player's official assist stat. Hockey has always recognized that the guy who makes the play isn't just the guy that directly made the last pass.

I"m guessing coaches have been tracking it some but its a major chore to track it on 80 to 100 hoops a game vs. 2-8 for hockey.

I"m guessing coaches have been tracking it some but its a major chore to track it on 80 to 100 hoops a game vs. 2-8 for hockey.

Yeah I imagine before SportsVu it was very difficult. But now with the cameras tracking hundreds of movements by each player per second they can get incredible details.