• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Maybe this has been advocated before, but...

EfficientJimBreech

First of all, let me start by saying that I've lurked in the background here for years but am just now feeling the urge to post. But with how much I'm actually enjoying watching this year's team grow (yes, I know we're 9-10 and have looked terrible at times), I will likely be posting frequently going forward.

I'll admit it, I am cautiously bullish on this Hawks team. No, we're not going to win the East. But the 3 seed? It's attainable, and I think that's about all you can reasonably ask for from this roster. Still, I think there is one thing the Hawks - as a franchise - could do to reinvigorate the team and fanbase collectively, primarily in the long-term: rebrand the Hawks. To pretty much everyone who isn't a Hawks fan, this franchise is just kinda "bleh." Nothing special or exciting, nothing too appealing. We insist on calling Philips the Highlight Factory, so why not rebrand the Hawks to the old 'Nique days? Throw out the garbage logos and colors that we're using and instead opt for the old pacman motif. In an era where branding matters so much in the NBA - it ultimately generates revenue, attracts fans, and in turn can help bring in better players - I think it would serve us well to change things up, especially if Danny Ferry is intent on really going in a new direction with this franchise.

Still, I imagine the biggest hurdle to realizing this is Atlanta Spirit, right?

• Like 3

Welcome to the board! As far as rebranding, this has been touched on a few times lately. Here is a cynic view of this:

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/385814-we-are-the-most-pathetic-organization-ever-exhibit-728129/

Here is a small snippet on brand loyalty per Emory University Marketing: http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/380469-emory-tries-to-estimate-nba-brand-loyalty/

We have had mock-ups recently: http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/383518-suggesting-new-uniforms/

And in particular, one of my favorites on this board is to talk about pricing by the Hawks and a lot of their business strategy. http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/353756-marketing-101-attendance/ or http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/350481-since-we-know-levinson-reads-the-board/ or http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/381365-crappy-fans-part-deux/

I like talking about this stuff, but I am not sure you will get any new arguments or information than what has been hashed out on this board already. But maybe you will.

• Premium Member

First of all, let me start by saying that I've lurked in the background here for years but am just now feeling the urge to post. But with how much I'm actually enjoying watching this year's team grow (yes, I know we're 9-10 and have looked terrible at times), I will likely be posting frequently going forward.

I'll admit it, I am cautiously bullish on this Hawks team. No, we're not going to win the East. But the 3 seed? It's attainable, and I think that's about all you can reasonably ask for from this roster. Still, I think there is one thing the Hawks - as a franchise - could do to reinvigorate the team and fanbase collectively, primarily in the long-term: rebrand the Hawks. To pretty much everyone who isn't a Hawks fan, this franchise is just kinda "bleh." Nothing special or exciting, nothing too appealing. We insist on calling Philips the Highlight Factory, so why not rebrand the Hawks to the old 'Nique days? Throw out the garbage logos and colors that we're using and instead opt for the old pacman motif. In an era where branding matters so much in the NBA - it ultimately generates revenue, attracts fans, and in turn can help bring in better players - I think it would serve us well to change things up, especially if Danny Ferry is intent on really going in a new direction with this franchise.

Still, I imagine the biggest hurdle to realizing this is Atlanta Spirit, right?

I think the things is that the Hawks are trying to change it's image to Spurs East. The rebranding is already in effect. Just looking at what has happened in Indy. These guys are FOUR REAL... What I mean is that they didn't have some great rebranding, they just showed up and the rest is history. They have replaced Chicago and Boston in the Who will compete with Miami conversation. The reason being is because they actually beat Miami last year. They started off this season with George continuing his beastocity. You can say the same thing about PTL. Who are these guys... Same guys as they had last year, just with more maturity.

So in short, no gimmick is going to get us what we want. We can have Hammer come in and have a 2 legit 2 quit themesong. We can have Anderson come in and teach our players and fans how to do the Dirty bird. We can have Bud learn how to wear a color (like Glanville and Black).. maybe the man in red... And we can have a DOminique WIlkins PACMAN light show every home game... but perceptions won't change until we stand toe to toe with the beast and slay it.

• Like 1

I think the things is that the Hawks are trying to change it's image to Spurs East. The rebranding is already in effect. Just looking at what has happened in Indy. These guys are FOUR REAL... What I mean is that they didn't have some great rebranding, they just showed up and the rest is history. They have replaced Chicago and Boston in the Who will compete with Miami conversation. The reason being is because they actually beat Miami last year. They started off this season with George continuing his beastocity. You can say the same thing about PTL. Who are these guys... Same guys as they had last year, just with more maturity.

So in short, no gimmick is going to get us what we want. We can have Hammer come in and have a 2 legit 2 quit themesong. We can have Anderson come in and teach our players and fans how to do the Dirty bird. We can have Bud learn how to wear a color (like Glanville and Black).. maybe the man in red... And we can have a DOminique WIlkins PACMAN light show every home game... but perceptions won't change until we stand toe to toe with the beast and slay it.

We better pray Dennis and Bebe lives up to potential. If we are hoping Jeff or Al does it, we are on the treadmill.

• Premium Member

We better pray Dennis and Bebe lives up to potential. If we are hoping Jeff or Al does it, we are on the treadmill.

First off, Dennis was a midround pick. There are reasons other teams passed on him... i.e. he's not that great yet. He's just potential right now. Potential means nothing until it's realized (Marvin Williams teachable moments) Same goes for Bebe. However, this team is not built for the treadmill. No long term contracts. Neither Horf or Millsap should feel secure about their place on this team.. so no need in crowning them anything. Bud so much as said it when he didn't crown a team captain. Ferry said it with short term deals meant to be traded. So what we have now is not what we're going to be.

I appreciate your response and certainly agree with parts. However, this is all fine and dandy but when it comes time to sign a top tier free agent, we're just the same old Hawks. Look at how D12 didn't even really consider us (debatable, I suppose). And given our draft history, I think it's iffy at best to expect any huge boost from a rookie, especially since we should find ourselves in the middle of the East yet again. This, of course, means we'll be picking in that dreadful 15-20 range again, I'm sure.

I'm just saying - yes, the ideal course is simply to build a winner from the ground up to create chemistry. But in today's NBA, signing a big name free agent works. It's been proven. So, re-energize the fanbase and build some hype around Atlanta with a whole new (well, technically "old") image.

It's all a pipedream with ASG, though. I will forever question why the hell they don't just sell.