• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Discussion from game thread about Hawks attendance

Admin

This times this times this.

I know hundreds of Thrasher fans that refuse to step foot into that arena, myself included, until the A$G are gone. They completely backstabbed Atlanta fans by what they did with the Thrashers. They lost a lot of fan support as a result. I don't see that ever changing until new owners are here.

Same here, although recently I've decided to at least go to opening night. This is coming from a guy that used to work in Centennial Tower (where A$G is based), and who used to walk to Hawks games. They don't deserve fans like you and I.

• Like 1

^^^This. This is the reason the Hawks absolutely need a superstar. I know the attendance wasn't awesome during the Omni/Nique days, but there are a lot more transplants in the ATL today that ONLY come out to see superstars.

True; most people don't appreciate how much Atlanta has changed population-wise since the Olympics. It's a unique city in that way, because other larger cities are much older and have many more generations of sports fans, for teams that are much, much older.

• Like 1

Dol, everything you've said in this thread is absolutely correct. The facts are that Atlanta just isn't a good sports town .... period. It's not.The things listed as reasons fans don't go to games may be legit reasons for casual BBall fans, but not for actual fans of the Hawks. If you really want to see YOUR favorite team play, you will NOT be deterred by traffic, or ticket prices, or bums, or style of play.You got so-called die hard Hawks fans that live within a 45 minute drive to the arena that don't even go to games. Yet, when Lebron comes to town, they go through hell and high water to get to the game ... ON TIME.You have a mass transit system that takes you right to the Arena, from the north, south, east, and west.The so-called bums are a FAR LESS nuisance than the guys who are selling tickets. And even with them, you can get some damn good deals out on the street.I drive 550 miles round trip anywhere from 5 - 10 times a year to attend Hawk games. I always get off on Northside Dr ( ironically ) and drive directly into downtown. Turn left on Marietta St, and I'm on a direct line to Philips. I either park in the $5 lot or the $10 parking garage, and walk about 1/2 mile to the game.If I didn't live north of Nashville, but closer to Chattanooga, I'd be at a minimum of 1/3 or 1/2 of the home games. It's about WILL and EFFORT. If you want to go to a Hawks game, only your job, personal sickness, or a prior commitment to your family will stop you from going.All of that other stuff like traffic, bums, ticket prices, and a non exciting team are simply a bunch of BS excuses.The team wins around 70% of their home games. Support your team

• Like 2

A proven product? Where are their proven trophies?Seven straight playoff appearances without even sniffing the conference finals does not constitute a proven product to me; not in the slightest. The only thing it proves is that the product hasn't and isn't good enough to compete with the big boys.I love you to death, Dolf, but in one of your arguments, you stated that they warranted more support by keeping the status quo by making the playoffs every year. That alone defeats your argument. It's that status quo to stay decent and not dare to be great that keeps folks glued to their couches at home. There are those who think highly of their run of playoff appearances while there are many others like myself who think of opportunities lost.As stated millions of times, we wouldn't be having this conversation if we had a competent GM to draft players when they were losing 50+ games a year. I would be right there with you if CP3, Iguodala, et al were here playing into May and beyond in front of a half-filled arena. But alas, we have had nearly a decade of Iso Joe, Osh jacking up threes, and poor Al doing his very best not to pop a coronary in the process.Sorry but that's simply not good enough. Not for me. And not for a lot of people here...

Good post and I 100% agree.

I can't fault the city of Atlanta for not caring about the Hawks. I mean, why should they? What has been so special about the Hawks that the idea of the fans not supporting them is just puzzling? They've been a mediocre franchise that's been plagued with problems for years. We're talking about bad management, terrible drafting, numerous playoff exits, etc. This type of atmosphere doesn't breed a strong winning atmosphere nor does it raise fan optimism.

All the residents of Georgia knew before the season even started that the Hawks will make the playoffs this year and will be knocked out in the first and second round. Ya'll wanna know why? Because that is Atlanta Hawks basketball. When the home team is the poster child around the league as being the "treadmill" team, that isn't exciting anybody.

All the residents of Georgia knew before the season even started that the Hawks will make the playoffs this year

That is so not true, just like when Joe got traded, then Josh wasn't resigned it was already determined that we would be a bottom feeding team in the East. Not only by Georgia residents but the National media.

I do agree that bad and incompetent management has soured fans on the Hawks.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Good post and I 100% agree.

I can't fault the city of Atlanta for not caring about the Hawks. I mean, why should they? What has been so special about the Hawks that the idea of the fans not supporting them is just puzzling? They've been a mediocre franchise that's been plagued with problems for years. We're talking about bad management, terrible drafting, numerous playoff exits, etc. This type of atmosphere doesn't breed a strong winning atmosphere nor does it raise fan optimism.

All the residents of Georgia knew before the season even started that the Hawks will make the playoffs this year and will be knocked out in the first and second round. Ya'll wanna know why? Because that is Atlanta Hawks basketball. When the home team is the poster child around the league as being the "treadmill" team, that isn't exciting anybody.

How about you support your local team? That's what fans in small markets have done. From day 1 even when they stunk they filled up the arena to see OKC play. Utah fans are always out there supporting this horrible Jazz team. Atlanta fans act entitled and they will only come out to support a championship level team with a superstar on it and that makes me sick.

That is so not true, just like when Joe got traded, then Josh wasn't resigned it was already determined that we would be a bottom feeding team in the East. Not only by Georgia residents but the National media.

I do agree that bad and incompetent management has soured fans on the Hawks.

Most "fans" of the Hawks don't have a clue as to what's gone on with the team and I'd bet you the majority of them couldn't name the starting 5 of the Hawks. I do agree that nobody expected us to be good this year, but what's new they've been preaching our downfall for years now. Even I didn't think we'd be much more than a .500 team and honestly I think that once we really start clicking we'll climb well above .500.

Anyone who says that Philips isn't the "Highlight Factory" anymore don't know a damn thing about basketball as this is the most exciting team we've had in a very, very long time. I just absolutely love watching these guys share the ball!! And the effort on the defensive end is just superb!

How about you support your local team? That's what fans in small markets have done. From day 1 even when they stunk they filled up the arena to see OKC play. Utah fans are always out there supporting this horrible Jazz team. Atlanta fans act entitled and they will only come out to support a championship level team with a superstar on it and that makes me sick.

Well small markets don't have Magic City so...

I know those kinds of strip clubs. Usually BYO. And you're the one making fun of Alvin???

I just know the Universities up in Oklahoma have some seriously hot chicks and most of them have probably stripped at some point! Alvin doesn't even have paved roads and most people are missing more teeth than Jenkins misses shots!

I just know the Universities up in Oklahoma have some seriously hot chicks and most of them have probably stripped at some point! Alvin doesn't even have paved roads and most people are missing more teeth than Jenkins misses shots!

Hey! I will have you know that is a blatant lie.

Anyone who says that Philips isn't the "Highlight Factory" anymore don't know a damn thing about basketball as this is the most exciting team we've had in a very, very long time. I just absolutely love watching these guys share the ball!! And the effort on the defensive end is just superb!

This isn't the highlight factory anymore. With that said, this is much better overall Basketball than I seen since I can remember. I would say this is as entertaining to a true Basketball fan as the Hawks with Nique. But with that said, their is not one player worth the price of admission on this squad. To say otherwise is a lie.

• 3 months later...

I lost.

Going into the game the Hawks had 576,009 over 40 games. That is an average of 14,400. If they could have pulled in 38,991 for the Charlotte Bobcats game tonight, then I would have had a shot. Unfortunately, we don't play in the GA Dome anymore.

Well I don't think you had that great of a shot at winning anyway but you didn't let that stop you from trying.

I'm not always pessimistic.

I know, there was actually optimism in that statement alone!

Your donation will help to pay for the massive upgrade to 4.0 that's coming hopefully in the next couple months and we thank you for it!