• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Without a Lottery pick, what will Ferry do?

Jody23

• Premium Member

It doesn't matter when you run a solid organization good things happen to you, that's what's happening now. We'll find a guy who nobody else thinks can do that much Bud will go I can make him a star in my system and he will become one

Bingo! And that is where champions are born! A good coaching philosophy goes a long way!

• Premium Member

You honestly think our team is good enough to beat Houston, Indiana or Miami in a seven game playoff series? If you do, that's fine. I don't. As far as the Sacramentos and Washingtons...well they're getting opportunities, but they make poor decisions with the picks they do get. Pretty much like we did. Had Billy gotten his picks right, we would have been a title contender.

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1

IMO the college players outside the top 5 or 6 picks in the Mock drafts aren't much better than the players projected in the 15 to 18 range which the Hawks will probably get from the Nets. We can still get us a player at 15 or 16 that can come in and help the team.

• Like 1

I have been reading the post for some time so I decided to join for this thread

Jusuf Nurkic is a center and if he applies for the draft he would probably be a 15-20 pick so in theory Atlanta could sing him.Also I think that Atlanta should look at Sergio Rodriguez from Real Madrid he is a 27 year old classical PG.He last played in the NBA 3 years ago so he should be a free agent.

Jusuf Nurkic is a center and if he applies for the draft he would probably be a 15-20 pick so in theory Atlanta could sing him.Also I think that Atlanta should look at Sergio Rodriguez from Real Madrid he is a 27 year old classical PG.He last played in the NBA 3 years ago so he should be a free agent.

Welcome and glad that you joined. That's the 2nd Macedonian registration today actually.

Sergio Rodriguez is impressive. He has played really well. Could play +20mppg in an important team in the NBA. But he re-signed just a few days ago with Real Madrid, so I don't think that he will leave Spain.

I guess what Ferry has been doing is to rid the team of bad contracts and/or players, acquire nice players (Korver, Millsap) and decent draft picks to acquire assetts and then look to either trade for the big player or sign a key FA.

Looks like a tactic that a few teams have used. Will it work for the Hawks?

Our pick this year, if we stay as is, will likely be around #12, whether or not we trade picks. Neither Brook nor the Hawks are bad enough to slip much farther.

This season can only be seen as developmental, especially after the Horford injury. So hopefully the plan is for next and following seasons.

Our ROOKIE coach seems to have clearly demonstrated that he is a big success, another one of Ferry's good moves.

With Millsap becoming an expiring next season, I think we should quickly choose between short term success or long term success. If we want to make a run next season, keep the key players and trade some of the young assetts and/or picks. If we don't think we can put a 2015 title competitor together for next year, trade Millsap, Korver, Lou, JT and invest in the younger Hawks. Keep Horford as our one good player and/or future trade asset for a total rebuild.

This choice should be made now to profit in the pre- deadline moves. With all the tankers, it's an interesting time to maybe pick up a nice player from a tanking team, or to trade our good players to some contender that wants to make a run.

Unless the choice is to collect assets keeping what we have

• Like 2

While I agree that Bud has made lemonade from oatmeal, can he get this current team past Miami and/or Indiana in a seven-game series? If not, how are they going to add REAL players with non-lottery picks and a limited budget? Getting Milsap was a great move, no doubt. But we all know that they need more than that to make the next step up in weight class. Who will be that 'it' guy, the one who makes the difference in the last two minutes of ballgames? The one who looks at his teammates during a timeout, says 'I got this', and pulls the game out of the fire? The one guy opposing coaches spend the night scouting over and opposing players dread going up against? I know that there are few guys like that in the league but that's been the magic ingredient missing from Hawks basketball for the last 20+ years. That's not a Dejay opinion; that's a fact.

• Like 2

Big part? Questionable,,, just ask New York and New Jersey

what kind of logic is this ? Every team that has won a championship in the last 30 years has had talented players. Edited by EazyRoc
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

While I agree that Bud has made lemonade from oatmeal, can he get this current team past Miami and/or Indiana in a seven-game series? If not, how are they going to add REAL players with non-lottery picks and a limited budget?Getting Milsap was a great move, no doubt. But we all know that they need more than that to make the next step up in weight class. Who will be that 'it' guy, the one who makes the difference in the last two minutes of ballgames? The one who looks at his teammates during a timeout, says 'I got this', and pulls the game out of the fire? The one guy opposing coaches spend the night scouting over and opposing players dread going up against?I know that there are few guys like that in the league but that's been the magic ingredient missing from Hawks basketball for the last 20+ years. That's not a Dejay opinion; that's a fact.

I think that the original question was about the Hawk's future which includes Al Horford. Can they get past top teams with the current roster in a 7 game series...I doubt it! But could they do it with Al Horford and a offensively competent 3. Possibly! Is there some savior in the draft this year that is ready to propel this team past those top teams next year? Nope! So what do we do. It simple...Find a offensive and defensively competent Small forward and a defensive 5 with some offense ( a younger Elton Brand ) and Continue with the outstanding player development. Those factors should take us far. If a Labron should fall into our lap, then I'd take him but it doesn't appear to me to be a necessary ingredient for success.

Ferry will have to flip Horford, Millsap, or Teague for a better player at that respective position.

To me, Ferry blew it this past offseason, when he had a shot to add the likes of an Al Jefferson and Andre Iguodala to the team. Add those two players to the team, and you potentially assemble the best frontcourt in the East.

And who knows? With that lineup, maybe we preserve Horford from wear and tear on his shoulder, with him playing the PF. And Iggy would've been the type of defensive stopper we need in the East when we go up against the likes of Lebron, George, and even Joe Johnson.

We have too many shooters and gunners on this team. We need some people who can do the dirty work. Having Ivan on this team would be real nice, but I guess he wasn't a "culture fit".

Honestly, it looks like we will be a middle of the pact team for a while with not having the assets to acquire anything that makes us worthy of being a title contender. Unless we can draft a Paul George like Pacers got lucky with at the 10-14 range and then again how often does that happen?

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Honestly, it looks like we will be a middle of the pact team for a while with not having the assets to acquire anything that makes us worthy of being a title contender. Unless we can draft a Paul George like Pacers got lucky with at the 10-14 range and then again how often does that happen?

That's my thinking. The whole "wait and see if we get lucky" approach isn't going to be effective. I think Bud will always have us playing good team ball, but I just don't see the assets needed to put us over the top. Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1