• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If one star would come to Atlanta then......

JTB

For reference here are the type of packages that were traded for a star. *Note these teams had leverage*

James harden

guard Kevin Martin, rookie guard/No. 12 overall pick Jeremy Lamb,2013 protected first-round pick from the Toronto Raptors, a protected 2013 first round pick from the Dallas Mavericks, and a 2013 second-round pick from the Charlotte Bobcats.

Chris paul

Eric Gordon, center Chris Kaman, forward Al-Farouq Aminu and Minnesota's unprotected 2012 first-round pick to the Hornets for Paul.

Deron Williams

Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, two first-round draft picks and cash considerations to Utah for the All-Star point guard.

Carmelo Anthony

Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov and a 2014 first-round draft pick to the Nuggets, who would get additional picks and cash,

Edited by yungsta

For reference here are the type of packages that were traded for a star. *Note these teams had leverage*

James harden

Chris paul

Deron Williams

Carmelo Anthony

Hell if Ferry really wanted to….he can swing a deal like the ones above especially when you add milsap and horford in the same package. So its possible but its all up to ferry.

The biggest problem to me now when I watch the hawks is that I think they are being coached right so BIG props to coach bud but I just don't think they are talented enough to even improve now and Im talking about individuals that get major playing time. Teague would be the most obvious followed by Lou who I know is injured but Im just saying his style doesn't fit what Buds trying to do.

Teague situation puzzles me more than anyone else though. This guy was a consistent player for 2 straight years under Larry Drew and I always thought to myself why don't Drew put Smith on the bench and push Teague more to see what he can do. So then Ferry lets Larry Drew walk and he signs Bud….Just about the first 10 games when the season started we saw the "chicago bulls series" Jeff Teague! Driving to the goal fearless, making good enough passes, being aggressive through out the whole game and I said to myself "DAMN COACH BUD!….Way to push Teague to be an aggressive player". Now here we are in January, Teague is still being aggressive but it isn't the same type of aggressiveness because now it seems forced when earlier in the season it just seemed like a new Jeff Teague.

Yeah its so true! You can't teach aggressiveness. I have thrown in my towel on Teague becoming our next star…it seemed possible early in the season and he was even consistent with it but man did he let a lot of us down….but thats ok I just wanted Teague to get a real chance without a PF taking away all his opportunity. We now know he's a solid starter if put on a good team and thats ok….its just not ok for this hawks team that desperately needs a star player.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

Can't do that...gotta play smart...we HAVE assets.

I agree but can the assets we have develop into better players. I will agree that some players probably could get better but not to a point where we consider them a star its just no way. So Ferry need to take a gamble because right now we are just sitting in the water hoping somebody call and ask about milsap then they throw some crappy ass deal at us.

Yeah milsap as being our best trading piece sounded great earlier…hell sap even showed out and raised his stock! and even doing that the best deal we got for sap involved Asik and Asik only at that for most part. Man its time to take a gamble for a star player (not done year rental) if its possible.

These assets we have won't aren't good enough. Either we gain a star or gain some assets that can actually develop into major players in bud's system which is probably a more real life scenario that could happen for the hawks

Without trading assets we are screwed.

We have no shot at really competing for anything more than a 1 and out playoff run without Al Horford. We have no real shot at a top 6 pick as the tankers are too good (bad).

"With the 15th pick in the 2014 NBA Draft the Atlanta Hawks select Zrebennev Inglosio...a 6 foot 8 power forward from Bosnia."

"Well Tom, word is that the Hawks may leave Inglosio in Europe for a year to gain more experience...now with the next pick the..."

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Without trading assets we are screwed.

We have no shot at really competing for anything more than a 1 and out playoff run without Al Horford. We have no real shot at a top 6 pick as the tankers are too good (bad).

"With the 15th pick in the 2014 NBA Draft the Atlanta Hawks select Zrebennev Inglosio...a 6 foot 8 power forward from Bosnia."

"Well Tom, word is that the Hawks may leave Inglosio in Europe for a year to gain more experience...now with the next pick the..."

This is funny and sad all at the same time. Truth is, even with Horf, we weren't going to do anything meaningful in the playoffs anyway. I mean, we just got blown out and manhandled by a team that some here are STILL saying will miss the playoffs. So, why are we so fixated on making the postseason this year when all its going to do is take away an asset that this team sorely needs to rebuild?
  • Like 1

The biggest problem to me now when I watch the hawks is that I think they are being coached right ...

Teague situation puzzles me more than anyone else though....

Your first point is why we can't tank...Coach Bud will get a few wins here and there from whatever assets he has available.

Teague is a Diva. He has always been a typical prima donna athlete who does well against matchups when he can handle them and is a wall flower when he has real competition.

Teague (IMO) is basically uncoachable. He has his own agenda.

Maybe Teague just isn't inspired. He always starts out very hot.. and then comes back down to mediocrity. When injury forcedDrew to play him, he finished the season strong and had his Chicago playoff series. Each of the past 2 seasons he also started strong only to fade.

Maybe he'll learn to be a professional ball player and reach his level and hold it. Much doubt that he'll ever be more than an avg PG though and I wouldn't mind him being traded if it brought value back...towards our inevitable rebuild that is late starting

• Premium Member

Your first point is why we can't tank...Coach Bud will get a few wins here and there from whatever assets he has available. Teague is a Diva. He has always been a typical prima donna athlete who does well against matchups when he can handle them and is a wall flower when he has real competition. Teague (IMO) is basically uncoachable. He has his own agenda.

Looking at the standings, it is still entirely possible for us to miss the playoffs.

• Premium Member

Maybe Teague just isn't inspired. He always starts out very hot.. and then comes back down to mediocrity. When injury forcedDrew to play him, he finished the season strong and had his Chicago playoff series. Each of the past 2 seasons he also started strong only to fade. Maybe he'll learn to be a professional ball player and reach his level and hold it. Much doubt that he'll ever be more than an avg PG though and I wouldn't mind him being traded if it brought value back...towards our inevitable rebuild that is late starting

Part of the issue with Jeff imo is that he has to CONSTANTLY play with a high level of energy to be effective and that can be challenging. He's not a highly skilled guy who can beat you CONSISTENTLY with his shooting ability or with his great court vision or with his ball handling. He HAS to rely on being physically active at all times to make an impact on the floor. It was easier to sustain at the beginning of the year when he was more fresh. But you can see that maintaining that style for an entire season has started to wear on him. Edited by Jody23

Part of the issue with Jeff imo is that he has to CONSTANTLY play with a high level of energy to be effective and that can be challenging. He's not a highly skilled guy who can beat you CONSISTENTLY with his shooting ability or with his great court vision or with his ball handling. He HAS to rely on being physically active at all times to make an impact on the floor. It was easier to sustain at the beginning of the year when he was more fresh. But you can see that maintaining that style for an entire season has started to wear on him.

Seems like a great season to let the young guys develop by playing. Teague might be able to do better with a few less minutes, maybe increase his trade value

• Like 2

Part of the issue with Jeff imo is that he has to CONSTANTLY play with a high level of energy to be effective and that can be challenging. He's not a highly skilled guy who can beat you CONSISTENTLY with his shooting ability or with his great court vision or with his ball handling. He HAS to rely on being physically active at all times to make an impact on the floor. It was easier to sustain at the beginning of the year when he was more fresh. But you can see that maintaining that style for an entire season has started to wear on him.

After reading that, I have to agree. I thing I have figured out what Teague's issue is: He is not great at any ONE single thing. He doesn't have a specific strength. Take the top tier PG's, they have that one great thing. Rondo struggles shooting but he is a high assist guy, Steph Curry turns the ball over like a madman but he is a lights out shooter and passer, Russell Westbrook - not a pass firt PG but his ability to score and defend is off the charts. Tony Parker - great penetrator, reliable shooter and good assist and does not turn the ball over.

• Premium Member

I actually do think if they could convince just one star player to come and stay here it would bring more people here. Look at how pathetic the Clips have historically been. They get one guy in Blake and all of a sudden Paul, Doc, etc are clamoring to go there.

• Like 1

How ironic is it that I come across this thread while watching Joel Embiid dominate Oklahoma State?

He'd look real good in a Hawks uniform but this franchise isn't even trying to put themselves in a position to get him. I mean, we're talking about a franchise that is starved for a star player but the owners think winning games is going to help this team in the long run.

But hey, as long we remain flexible while instilling a "tough" competitive spirit, we'll eventually get some luck right guys?

• Like 2

How ironic is it that I come across this thread while watching Joel Embiid dominate Oklahoma State?

He'd look real good in a Hawks uniform but this franchise isn't even trying to put themselves in a position to get him. I mean, we're talking about a franchise that is starved for a star player but the owners think winning games is going to help this team in the long run.

But hey, as long we remain flexible while instilling a "tough" competitive spirit, we'll eventually get some luck right guys?

I was so excited for this past offseason. We were in perfect position to get out off the treadmill. We could of signed d12 and cp3 (pipe dream) or went young and go for a top pick in this stacked draft. Extremely disappointed we did neither and decided to remain mediocre. This was definitely was one of my worst case scenarios.

• Like 2

We dont have ONE freaking stripper to black mail one of these superstars to come to ATL lol

Number one reason why all of them stay out of ATL. It's one thing when you have to pay for your jump off's to fly out to visit you but another when they can all just swing by your house.

With the commish retiring we r looking at a new NBA? Doesn't it makeSense that the league needs ATl to be successful? If so.......maybe it's our year for the lottery to be fixed for us? I think they need this market to be successful cuz players like this town to live but not play. It behooves the nba that A town have a winner. How crazy is that?

The Atlanta Hawks are a yoyo team, having a yoyo season.

Just think. We've watched it over and over. We're up. We're down.

When we're hot, no one can beat us. When we're cold, any NBA team

can have their way with us.

When the shots are falling, our defense seems to take on an aggressive

life of it's own. We fight for every lose ball. We rebound. Passes zip

from side to side and inside out and we score.

Then, in other games, Hawks go into their famous sleepwalk mode. They

have practiced this with different players and different coaches. Doesn't

seem to matter, it's always in the back of our mind, wondering, when will

it happen again? We know it's coming, just don't know when.

Two years ago, with expensive assets and our own version of a super star

in Joe Johnson and the "almost but not quiet" star Smoove, Hawks finished

the season and post season in much the same place we expect this team

to end up.

We want our very own super star when in reality we really need a good, solid

team of players who fit together and get the job done as a team, along with the

bench players to make it all work.

A super star? Great. We sell our soul for a great super star. He has a career

ending injury and then what? We have nothing left, that's what.

Let's imagine building a team that does all things well and has the size and

speed to make things happen. They rebound well, the shoot really well. They

are intelligent enough to know which direction is up.

Answer me this. What does it require to have a championship team? All those

great super stars or that team that is team enough to play together, fly up and

down the floor and cause havoc with the opponent?

I believe that a super star is great but a super team is better and, in our case,

probably a lot easier to achieve.

What do you think???

Edited by Gray Mule