• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Midpoint

benhillboy

• Moderators

I've been happy. My analysis:

[*]Teague has shown growth, but still disappears. Still hasn't proven to me that we can win a title with him at the point, but I haven't turn my back on him yet. [*]Sap is proving to be the biggest value signing of the 2013 offseason. Still wondering what the future holds for him and the Hawks. [*]KK and the streak. Has made the season interesting and hope he makes it 130. He has also proven that he is more than just a 3pt shooter. [*]With Horford out, DMC makes or breaks this team with his D and 3pt shooting. [*]We finally have our coach. Love what Ferry and Bud are doing in Atlanta. [*]Scott is the MIP on the Hawks roster. MIKE MONEY!!! [*]I am a Mack critic, but he has shown to be a great backup PG. [*]Schröder has a long way to go. [*]Pero is a big surprise and has given us more than I anticipated. Didn't think he would translate to the NBA. [*]Why oh why could we not help ourselves and beat the Nets? We beat the HEAT, we beat the Pacers, we beat the Rockets, but can't beat the old man Nets... lawd

• Like 1

Surprised and impressed with how the Hawks have done so far. However it's getting really old to constantly blow leads in the second half. Keep the foot on the gas.

It's amazing how low expectations can make mediocrity seem like a great thing.

Past records at the midpoint

2008: 19 - 22

2009: 25 - 16

2010: 27 - 14

2011: 26 - 15

2012: 19 - 14 ( strike season . . . equal to 24 - 17 in an 82 game season )

2013: 23 - 18

2014: 22 - 19

So we're 1 game behind last year's pace . . . and has posted the 2nd worst record at the midpoint in the past 7 years . . but Bud and this team gets an A?

(( Chris Carter )) . . . Come on man.

We're NOT in tank mode.

We supposedly upgraded in a coach.

We supposedly upgraded at PF by getting Millsap over Josh Smith

But people are happy and proud of this team right now?

They're playing great basketball at home, and horrible inconsistent basketball on the road. My expectations of them were for them to be around .500 . . . and that's exactly where they are. Any team with Horford, Millsap, and Teague, with Korver as a complimentary shooter, are going to win games and not be horrible. But that also means that they're going to be about as average as ever.

If you took a 10 game snapshot of this team, with one more game added to the last set of 10, this is how we have fared

6 - 4

4 - 6

7 - 3

5 - 6

We're an average team, that can hang with and beat anybody at home . . . but can also lose to anybody on the road.

That's average folks. Nothing to celebrate, or be real down on.

LOL . . it's like fans have forgotten how well this team used to play at times, and just want to find any reason to give this team high praise.

• Like 1

I think it's kind of impressive considering that the team lost Horford 12 games ago and *ahem* certain individuals thought that the team even with him wasn't particularly talented to begin with.... So being only 2 games behind the average wins at the midpoint of the previous 6 seasons isn't something to sneeze at and something both the players and coach should be applauded for.

Then there is the added benefit of knowing the squad hasn't hit their ceiling yet i.e.:

Al will return.

If even half of the young guys between Jenkins, Schröder, Muscala and Bebe make a similar leap in development that both Mack and Scott already have then that is a stronger rotation.

And oh yes, there will be cap space aplenty to actually add an impact player rather than having to spend over the cap to simply maintain the same mediocre core and then quibbling over swapping out those players for similarly valued players or thinking that adding vet minimum or mid level exception free agents will be the difference in pushing them over the top.

All around bravo for GM, coach and players. Could things go downhill from here? Sure, but at least there is the option now for exponential growth on top of an already good product.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Surprised and impressed with how the Hawks have done so far. However it's getting really old to constantly blow leads in the second half. Keep the foot on the gas.

Which means "Keep Lou nailed to the bench". I concur.

Edited by BrazilianHawk

I'd give Bud an A-, since I don't think this is a very talented team in the first place. Lose Al, and its pretty weak, but he's managed to make them respectable and buy into his scheme. What is also pretty amazing is how this team has developed into having a bunch of 3 point shooters. Milsap never took 3's in Utah, suddenly he's a threat. The biggest defect is blowing leads, but every team seems to do that. I hate that. I'd rather lose by 20 or 30 in a blowout, then blow a 20 point lead and lose by one.

• Like 1

• Moderators

And i'll add that just looking at the record or 10 game sets doesn't mean much. Here is what this 'mediocre' team has over the other teams from the last seven years that had better records:

1. Play hard every game

2. Don't get blown out on a regular basis by better teams

3. Depth

4. Cohesion

5. Shooting

6. Leadership

I'd say this list is in reverse order actually. But I don't think you can point to a Hawks team the last 7 years that had any of these qualities.

• Like 1

I think it's kind of impressive considering that the team lost Horford 12 games ago and *ahem* certain individuals thought that the team even with him wasn't particularly talented to begin with.... So being only 2 games behind the average wins at the midpoint of the previous 6 seasons isn't something to sneeze at and something both the players and coach should be applauded for.

Then there is the added benefit of knowing the squad hasn't hit their ceiling yet i.e.:

Al will return.

If even half of the young guys between Jenkins, Schröder, Muscala and Bebe make a similar leap in development that both Mack and Scott already have then that is a stronger rotation.

And oh yes, there will be cap space aplenty to actually add an impact player rather than having to spend over the cap to simply maintain the same mediocre core and then quibbling over swapping out those players for similarly valued players or thinking that adding vet minimum or mid level exception free agents will be the difference in pushing them over the top.

All around bravo for GM, coach and players. Could things go downhill from here? Sure, but at least there is the option now for exponential growth on top of an already good product.

Did someone hack your account? That was waaaay too positive for you!

• Like 1

Hey I always bring the positive vibes.................I just had to edit out a lot of snark so as to not have my message be confused with a personal attack Posted Image

Damn if you think you always bring the positive vibes I'd hate to see what you consider to be negative vibes!

• Like 1

I'm pleased with the development of the team. I still believe you build a winning culture and that attracts FAs, especially RFAs that we get in SnTs. if i had to give a grade I would say the organization is in a solid B. Coach Bud is at about a B+. Those scores could go up depending on what happens at the trading deadline.

In terms of tanking this season v. building a winning culture, i will paraphrase an analyst on NBA radio: if winning the lottery equated to winning in the NBA then Charlotte would be greater than the Celtics.

B+. Horford going down was a huge blow. The trade deadline and especially the draft and free agency will be fun. Bud is a legit coach. Teague is still frustrating as hell (think he'll be used to move up in the draft). Antić, Scott and Mack all rock.

Damn if you think you always bring the positive vibes I'd hate to see what you consider to be negative vibes!

Now, now - we want to try and positively reinforce good behavior. I hereby give Mace an *internet high five* followed by an enthusiastic *internet thumbs up* as well as a good old fashioned " attaboy."As far as the season, I'm happy about a lot of things. Sap fitting in so well. Kyle's streak and Team USA thing. Mack and Scott growing into solid backup players. Great team mentality (as evidenced by leading in assists) and culture. It's a breath of fresh air watching these hardworking guys bust their tails and compete every night and not give up. Even if they get down big I know that they're going to dig deep and fight back as best as they can, which is a great change from previous years. And there's a lot to be said for not having to bandage my head from hitting it against the wall every game from watching dumba$$ shot selection anymore. Happy with Bud and Brand, too. Lots of positives.I'm still really down about Horf though, even though I knew we wouldn't be contenders this season. And with so many teams tanking, I honestly expected our record to be a good bit better. Overall I'd say a B. (I can't go A, I think that there have been too many shortcomings. Might even go a tad lower, B-.) There's been a lot of inconsistency, especially in Teague, and I really started out thinking he'd be better, too. Still time to turn it around, but ... And Schröder? Man, not much there. And I still don't know why we ditched Cartier Martin. And I know we can't blame anyone for injuries, but now there's this Pero thing when he had just begun to really step up and contribute on a regular basis. It's like we're cursed or something. Happy with the direction, wishing for more consistency, and bummed about fate and the injuries we've been dealt.I know I'm not all balloons and streamers and kazoos like Mace, but I am glad to see that we're working on getting the foundation right and developing some our bench guys and playing some basketball that's fun to watch. If I was only grading on things we can control, I'd say a B+ or A-. But in comparison to expectations coming into this season, B-.
  • Like 1

And Schröder? Man, not much there.

Do people seriously look at Schröder and say "not much there"? There's clearly a lot of talent there that needs to adjust to the North American game. He has a floor general mentality and that can't be taught...Just look at Teague. You either have the dog in you or you don't and I think he has it to go along with speed and the ability to find his teammates. Obviously work needs to be done. He is a rookie after all but there's plenty there IMO.

• Moderators

I'm not convinced that with everyone healthy we wouldn't have had a shot at the ECF. I realize that the Heat will be beasts in the playoffs but without Wade they aren't quite as intiimidating. Indy is looking real tough though. Still we are a real solid 3rd. I mean last year when we were 4 or 5 most of the season we still didn't seem like we were significantly better than the teams behind us. I don't feel that way this year.

• Like 1