• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

ATL Hawks all time best GM Danny Ferry

tbhawksfan

Stepping out on a limb ? Naw, I believe that I can already say that Ferry is the highest quality GM that we've ever had in ATL. Early to make such a statement? Yeah, but I think he has the qualities to do what it takes to be a success and easily be our best GM ever.Not that he has a lot of competition with our past history, but I won't hold that against him. He has the pedigree, experience and intelligence to get the job done.I have 3 concerns:#1: ASG#2: Our past and present inability to bring in top level players (Nique and Horf being the borderline exceptions)#3: He could neither win with Lebron James nor keep him in Cleveland.

• Like 1

Agree totally, and all valid concerns. I trust in the guy to break down some of those barriers. They say you are the company you keep. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone with the basketball connects and knowledge from legends he's soaked up since a child.

Danny Ferry and Belkin would have made a great team Posted Image .

doubt that. it took all five guys pulling their money together to buy the team. if anyone thinks the hawks have been run on the cheap with the remaining four, imagine how bad it'd be with only one of them paying for it all.

• Premium Member

I was there. Think and hope Ferry will do better. Stan had Ted's money and channel though. BIG difference. Just found out that Hawks #17 is retired; belongs to Ted Turner

Based on that assumption the Hawks will never win big under Ferry if the ASG doesn't open the purse. Kasten was a smart GM. Ferry has not been here long enough to be mentioned, give him some time.If the ASG remains the owners over the next 10 years, Bud and Ferry won't be around, they will leave for greener pastures and I don't blame them.Let me be blunt here......the ASG is a fraud ownership.

I was there. Think and hope Ferry will do better. Stan had Ted's money and channel though. BIG difference. Just found out that Hawks #17 is retired; belongs to Ted Turner

Schröder is #17. But I heard Teddy is paying him to wear it. ;-) Edited by Spud2Nique

(Belkin has been quoted that he still has an interest in the Hawks)

"Belkin was the only owner who didn't support Hawks general manager Billy Knight in the deal for Joe Johnson. Belkin contented the Hawks were giving up too much for the guard, who signed a five-year deal with Atlanta worth about $70 million.

In the summer of 2005, Johnson became a highly touted restricted free agent and expressed a desire to leave the Suns to assume a larger role on the Atlanta Hawks. Johnson grew upset with Phoenix's initial offers to re-sign him feeling they were well below his market value. This rift eventually led to Johnson requesting the Suns not match Atlanta's $70 million offer. On August 19, 2005, a deal was finalized and Johnson was involved in a sign-and-trade deal with the Hawks for Boris Diaw and two future first-round draft picks.[2]"

Later the ASG (unencumbered by Belkin's logic and probably wanting to prove him wrong..the Hawks/ASG signed Joe Johnson to a MAX offer...which was mercifully traded to the NJ Nets by new GM Danny Ferry in one ot the "miracle trades" of all time for the Hawks.

But through it all - the one owner who had it right - Belkin .. is still poorly thought of by Hawks fans..

Belkin was also known to have a dis-agreement with Hawks GM Billy Knight in the draft when Belkin (a silent partner at that time due to pending lawsuits) preferred that the Hawks draft Chris Paul, a PG for need, instead of the Hawks eventual pick...Marvin Williams.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

"Belkin was the only owner who didn't support Hawks general manager Billy Knight in the deal for Joe Johnson. Belkin contented the Hawks were giving up too much for the guard, who signed a five-year deal with Atlanta worth about $70 million.

In the summer of 2005, Johnson became a highly touted restricted free agent and expressed a desire to leave the Suns to assume a larger role on the Atlanta Hawks. Johnson grew upset with Phoenix's initial offers to re-sign him feeling they were well below his market value. This rift eventually led to Johnson requesting the Suns not match Atlanta's $70 million offer. On August 19, 2005, a deal was finalized and Johnson was involved in a sign-and-trade deal with the Hawks for Boris Diaw and two future first-round draft picks.[2]"

Later the ASG (unencumbered by Belkin's logic and probably wanting to prove him wrong..the Hawks/ASG signed Joe Johnson to a MAX offer...which was mercifully traded to the NJ Nets by new GM Danny Ferry in one ot the "miracle trades" of all time for the Hawks.

But through it all - the one owner who had it right - Belkin .. is still poorly thought of by Hawks fans..

Belkin was also known to have a dis-agreement with Hawks GM Billy Knight in the draft when Belkin (a silent partner at that time due to pending lawsuits) preferred that the Hawks draft Chris Paul, a PG for need, instead of the Hawks eventual pick...Marvin Williams.

Lol! Just L.O.l!

Fact: Since Ferry has taken over, the Hawks are no better than the Joe Johnson era Hawks.

Of course, this is only Year 2, but this is why it is ridiculous to call Ferry the best GM of all time for the Hawks. It's a complete slap in the face to past GMs who have made moves to improve the team, and acquired players to help us win games.

Honestly, all Ferry has done, is what BK did in his first few years as Hawks GM. He broke a less than mediocre team down, then built them back up. The Joe Johnson trade ( as of right now ), is simply a trade to free up cap space. And look what we did with that cap space . . . virtually nothing ( up to this point ). We have to wish for Brooklyn to fail miserably, just to swap and possibly get a lottery pick.

We lost Josh Smith, and used his spot for Paul Millsap. He's an offensive upgrade for sure.

But calling a GM "the greatest in franchise history", when his teams have done nothing, is stretching it a bit.

Ferry hasn't landed us a Nique or close to it so he's not close. He hasn't brought in impact players like BK either. Ferry had a great draft in my opinion with Dennis and Bebe. Those guys while raw can be special in the future.

A "great draft" would mean that those guys would be rotational players right now, not rotting on the bench or rotting over in Spain. The jury is definitely out on that draft too.

Truth be told, as of this point, Ferry's best draft pick . . . is the 2nd round pick Mike Scott. All 3 of his 1st round picks are non-factors at this moment.

That trade landed us a 6 time All-Star and one of the top 10 ( arguably top 7 ) best players in franchise history. It's actually Phoenix who should be scrutinized, seeing that they picked Rajon Rondo with a low 1st round pick, but traded him for another 1st round pick the next season, simply to save money.

The failure wasn't the JJ trade, it was not selecting the right PG in the same year. Knight's trade for JJ was a necessary and quite shrewd move.

And LOL @ JJ being traded by Ferry as being a "miracle trade". JJ can and would be traded at any time during that contract, to one of the high dollar teams that felt they could use his services. Had we held onto JJ last season, we possibly could've flipped him for Pau Gasol, when the Lakers were having all of their problems last year.

But Ferry took the easy way out . . . sell JJ for 5 dead roaches, and a chance to swap with Brooklyn ( if they get 1000 people hurt ).

Ferry hasn't done anything groundbreaking in ATL. You can even say that he got coach Bud ONLY because he had ties to the Spurs. If not for that connect, whose to say that Quin Snyder or Mike Brown wouldn't be coaching the Hawks right now?

Let's save the Ferry coronation until AFTER this team does something even remotely significant.

I agree with you Cyde. I started this thread and took the position that I did to bait out a discussion. But, we have only had one good GM and he didn't do that much even with Nique. The reason that I'm calling out Ferry and the Hawks is because I think he's taking the middle road; not rebuilding and not spending to bring in the best possible team. I also don't like the "it's only two years argument". Every year is monumental and I absolutely think Ferry took the easy path last off-season. No risks, no bold move, just a lateral move that has us at a mediocre status quo.

I do like the picks, if we're rebuilding. If not, then to use two mid firsts on future potential makes no sense.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

We don't know what's going on in practices. Dennis is going to get his opportunity now due to the injury situation of Jeff. I do believe player development is working outside of Ayón not sure why he is playing like garbage I'm hoping increased Pt and playing with other guys will help his comfort level I never remember him playing this bad with the Bucks.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk