• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Ferry has 1.5 years to build

I looked at the free agents, both restricted and unrestricted for 2014 and 2015. I was trying to think like Ferry and target the players he might try and target and came up with the following:2014 restricted. Unrestricted Avery Bradley Luol DengChandler parsons. Dirk NowitzkiLance Stephenson Danny GrangerPj Tucker. Pau GasolGordon Hayward. Zach Randolph Chris Bosh Lebron James Dwayne Wade Carmelo Anthony Tim Duncan Kyle Lowry Trevor ariza2015 restricted. UnrestrictedJimmy butler. Jeff greenKyrie Irving Rajon rondoTristan Thompson Andy varejaoKenneth Faried. Omer asikDraymond green. Roy hibbertKlay Thompson David westRicky Rubio Deandre Jordan Iman shumpert. Marc Gasol Reggie Jackson Kevin LoveNikola vucevic. Tyson chandlerMarcus Morris Kendrick perkMarkieff Morris. Arron afflaloKawhi Leonard Thad youngAlec burks. Goran dragicEnes kanter. Gerald green Lamarcus Aldridge Robin Lopez Wes Mathews Manu ginobli Tony ParkerThat is what I came up with for who I would think is a "Ferry type player". Bosh, Love, Deandre Jordan, Carmelo Anthony, Gerald Green might not be "Ferry type players" but I felt I had to throw them in there as well. I think the players on this list are all hard workers who come to play every night and would make the Hawks a better organization. I have my favorites from this list, if I had to narrow down, but I'd love to hear yours as well.

Sorry my restricted and unrestricted meshed together but basically from the left column in 2014 it's Avery Bradley to Gordon Hayward as the restricted ones with all others being unrestricted and in 2015 it's left column Jimmy Butler to Enes Kanter being restricted with all others being unrestricted.

Curious to see how you would think Melo a Ferry type player. Melo has been a disruption every place he has played.

No I said guys like Melo, Jordan, Love aren't Ferry guys but threw them in just because they are big names. Personally I think Melo is garbage. To me, he is the single most overrated guy in the league. All he does is score and all his teams do is lose. I want no part of Melo, EVER.

• Premium Member

No I said guys like Melo, Jordan, Love aren't Ferry guys but threw them in just because they are big names. Personally I think Melo is garbage. To me, he is the single most overrated guy in the league. All he does is score and all his teams do is lose. I want no part of Melo, EVER.

Ok I gotcha, sorry. I agree that Melo is one of the most talented players in the league. He would be a star that the city of Atlanta would love, but he pouts, and he really is a New York guy, he wants to be there but he wants them to win also.Too much trouble IMO

Last time I seen Melo in a real offensive system, he won a National Championship. I wouldn't object to Melo or Love. I just think we would need a defensive minded center with either player on the court.

• Premium Member

Personally I'd wanna go after guys like Deng, Parsons, Marc Gasol, Hayward, Kawhi Leonard, Klay Thompson, Lamarcus Aldridge. To me those are the cream of the crop.

I agree that any of those player would do well in Buds system. Deng is not going to stay in Cleveland and is a smart player. He will be out there if Ferry wants him.
  • Like 1

Last time I seen Melo in a real offensive system, he won a National Championship. I wouldn't object to Melo or Love. I just think we would need a defensive minded center with either player on the court.

Well Melo has a defensive minded center in Tyson Chandler now and they still suck.

If we just move Jeff's contract or Lou's we would have enough for a near max in 2014. With Mike Scott's QO at 1.1 mil and Bebe at 1.5 as well as our pick caphold probably at 1.3-1.2 mil. Right now we are at 50.6 mil, we are at 8.2 mil in cap space and maybe more if the NBA changes the cap. With us trading Lou, for nothing, we would have 13.4 mil in cap space. If we traded Jeff for nothing but a 2nd round pick, we would have 16.2 mil in cap space. We would have enough for a Kevin Love max deal but not enough for a Lebron James or Melo max deal which starts at 19.1 mil.

Let's say we trade Milsap for Asik or Larry Sanders. Sap makes 9.5 mil next year. Asik is capped at 8.3 but via NBA rules, whoever trades for him will have to pay him 15 mil which means whoever trades him will pay a lot for him. This would mean his value is much lower than even it already is. So he's likely not going to get traded for Milsap but for a player like DMC and Lou Williams and maybe future considerations. As for Larry Sanders, he makes 11 mil next year. So we will lose cap space trading for him unless we package someone like Antić with Milsap and Milwaukee offers us future considerations.

So that is how Atlanta's cap situation is. We are expected to have 8.2 million unless the cap changes which it should.

Edit: I am wrong about Kevin Love, when he becomes a FA, his max will start at 16,441,500 mil as he will be in his 7th year.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

Well Melo has a defensive minded center in Tyson Chandler now and they still suck.

The Knicks are a terrible team and Chandler has regressed greatly. If you watch the games, Melo is doing an excellent job. He was NBA player of the month for January.

What's your thoughts on Deng?

I think he's going to go to a good team but not an ideal one. He would want to go back to Chicago but they don't have the money. I really can see many teams willing to do a SnT for him but convincing Cleveland will be hard. He is out of our price range. I am not sure he is the difference for us either. He would be a great 3rd piece to a team like Batum in Portland. He is going to draw a lot of interest. I am can see Memphis making a strong push for him at the deadline. Trading their 2014 1st, Prince, and Tony Allen for Deng but Cleveland flipping Allen to another team for pennies.

Unless Melo is willing to take a Lebron or Wadeesque discount, forget it. He would cost far too much. I don't even think the Lakers could afford to pay him the max while paying Kobe 23.5 mil next year. Dallas has a max contract but they have to resign Dirk who said he will take a major discount.

Kobe making 23.5 and Nash/Nick Young making 11 mil makes it very hard to impossible to give Melo or Bron a max deal and fill a roster under the salary cap.

Dallas is the team to watch for. They give Dirk 10-11 mil like Duncan. They would have 9 players at 42 mil which would be 16.8 mil in cap room for 3 players. Two could be min contracts for all we know which could mean 16 mil in cap space or more.

Most of the teams with the cap room suck. Dallas and LAL have it. Atlanta and Chicago can get it. Atlanta has to trade Jeff and Chicago has to trade Gibson and amesty Boozer. Either way, none of these teams will have close to enough to offer a true max deal. I do wonder what Bron is going to do. Miami can't offer the max because it will kill their cap something serious breaking up the big 3 or killing their supporting cast but if he does, he will have to face the consequences. In any scenario, the max will kill franchises cap room badly.

What's your thoughts on Deng?

I think Deng is a hard working defensive minded team player any organization would be lucky to have. I think he would help us enormously, specially in the playoffs. I'm not sure we have the assets to land him though. Doesn't hurt that he and Ferry are both from Duke. Also doesn't hurt that he's a small forward and that we are in the market for one. If I'm Danny, I'm on the phone with Cleveland right now.

• Premium Member

I think Deng is a hard working defensive minded team player any organization would be lucky to have. I think he would help us enormously, specially in the playoffs. I'm not sure we have the assets to land him though. Doesn't hurt that he and Ferry are both from Duke. Also doesn't hurt that he's a small forward and that we are in the market for one. If I'm Danny, I'm on the phone with Cleveland right now.

Deng certainly is not happy in Cleveland.
  • Like 1

His cost doesn't equal his value for us. We aren't a very talented role player away, we are a star away. He can be had but the price will high. I don't think it's a good price for Atlanta.

We have an All Star level talent (Horf), we have a good player (Sap)

Adding Deng would add another All Star level player but he isn't enough and at what cost. We can't trade Jeff, he will decline. I guess Lou, Korver and a 2014 1st would be ideal. Not sure you want to trade a 1st without assurance but in this case, it's not a bad idea.

The big problem with any Deng trade would be like a Josh Smith trade. Would Cleveland want to add salary? I am sure they can find a 3rd team willing to trade for Korver or they could even use him but I am not sure that 1st is enough for Deng for them to add salary like Lou. Remember, Deng even if he walks is salary even though no one is going to Cleveland but they still want to make a run at Lebron.

Add our 2014 1st and this could be our best offer for Deng. I doubt we would trade Korver. He is too much of a need for our system and DMC has been a solid player for us this year who could be worth as much as Korver with much less of a contract.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kt6rw3n

Edited by nbasupes40retired