• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Anyone besides me just wonder 24/7 about Ferrys direction?

JTB

• Premium Member

I know what Ferry is doing, so no...I don't wonder at all. Timing is so important to this game, both on and off the court. To me, it's the single biggest factor in determining team success. From free agency, to the draft, to trades...timing is everything. Danny Ferry is setting the team up so that he can take advantage of any situation that comes up. That's actually pretty smart and the best thing going for us.

In the mean time, where I'm not in agreement with him, he's keeping the team competitive. Horf/Sap/Teague/Korver can keep a competitive record. Guys like Deng and Stephenson will be out there, and are always out there. So we can tread water. There are deals like the one that brought JJ out of Phoenix. There are plenty of options...and this is what he's doing.

What he's really banking on is a steal of a trade or a free agent home run. As for the draft, he's looking for a steal...like Rondo, Hibbert, Millsap, or Lowry. I have my doubts about us pulling off any of that, but we'll see.

• Like 1

I know what Ferry is doing, so no...I don't wonder at all. Timing is so important to this game, both on and off the court. To me, it's the single biggest factor in determining team success. From free agency, to the draft, to trades...timing is everything. Danny Ferry is setting the team up so that he can take advantage of any situation that comes up. That's actually pretty smart and the best thing going for us. In the mean time, where I'm not in agreement with him, he's keeping the team competitive. Horf/Sap/Teague/Korver can keep a competitive record. Guys like Deng and Stephenson will be out there, and are always out there. So we can tread water. There are deals like the one that brought JJ out of Phoenix. There are plenty of options...and this is what he's doing. What he's really banking on is a steal of a trade or a free agent home run. As for the draft, he's looking for a steal...like Rondo, Hibbert, Millsap, or Lowry. I have my doubts about us pulling off any of that, but we'll see.

Please explain this "Danny Ferry is setting the team up so that he can take advantage of any situation that comes up."Free Agency-ferry has set this team up for free agency before and though it's not his fault, no matter the amount of cap space the team may have ferry will strike out in free agency again. The free agency route is not for ATLTrade-ferry has set this team up for trade and didn't make a move! Not because there aren't any but because you almost NEVER get back equal value. Even when you trade star players you don't get back equal value....melo, lebron, bosh, Howard...you never get back good value! So what possibly do you think ferry can get for milsap and horford?Draft-last but no least the good ol draft! Another place ferry has striked out on....or has he?!....everybody that's drafted don't play or is overseasThere's no way you see a plan out of this!
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Please explain this "Danny Ferry is setting the team up so that he can take advantage of any situation that comes up."Free Agency-ferry has set this team up for free agency before and though it's not his fault, no matter the amount of cap space the team may have ferry will strike out in free agency again. The free agency route is not for ATLTrade-ferry has set this team up for trade and didn't make a move! Not because there aren't any but because you almost NEVER get back equal value. Even when you trade star players you don't get back equal value....melo, lebron, bosh, Howard...you never get back good value! So what possibly do you think ferry can get for milsap and horford?Draft-last but no least the good ol draft! Another place ferry has striked out on....or has he?!....everybody that's drafted don't play or is overseasThere's no way you see a plan out of this!

I guess you are a glass is half empty guy.

Free agency - name another offseason where we signed guys equal to the talent of Milsap, Korver, Brand

Trades - there is nothing you can point to that says there was a decent a trade available. There wasn't a single player moved that would have gotten us anywhere.

Draft - we have a 1st rounder out for the season, our second rounder is ballin like all get out, don't see how ferry could control jenkins back problems. If you think Dennis (or Mack) right now is anywhere near Teague you're fooling yourself. As for why Dennis doesn't get minutes you already answered that. Bud is trying to win games.

• Like 3

• Moderators

What he's really banking on is a steal of a trade or a free agent home run. As for the draft, he's looking for a steal...like Rondo, Hibbert, Millsap, or Lowry. I have my doubts about us pulling off any of that, but we'll see.

My main issue with this is that we don't have the cap room for a max free agent anymore and we don't have the lottery picks to pull a trade like the Harden, KG, Deron, Carmelo, Shaq, Allen, etc. trades for guys who could be core players on a championship team. It is hard to believe that if a guy like that comes on the market that a team won't outbid us ala Philly, Phoenix, Boston, etc. with actual lottery picks and more first rounders than us.

• Like 2

Good question. It's been hard enough being a fan of any team in this town lately, so the Hawks missed a chance to have my undivided attention.

The good thing is that ferry is not an idiot....we know this from the Johnson trade. But man what possibly are you doing?-the team isn't set up for a major trade for a superstar but we can get a high potential player.-the team isn't set up for a promising draft player...due to ferry and bud wanting to continue to compete-free agency is just a joke when it comes to this franchise...we may be able to sign another sap tier player but that's not guranteed.Lol I'm coming to the conclusion that ferry really has more faith in this current hawks team than what many believed....and I really believe that.
  • Like 1

Not me. Ferry's direction is not paramount for me to worry about. His direction is tied to the performance of the talent on this team. So, if you want to worry, worry about the progress of the players and Bud's coaching. They will determine far more about what Ferry does than you worrying about what he will do.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not me. Ferry's direction is not paramount for me to worry about. His direction is tied to the performance of the talent on this team. So, if you want to worry, worry about the progress of the players and Bud's coaching. They will determine far more about what Ferry does than you worrying about what he will do.

So where does "2nd tier in the depleted East; 4th tier in the NBA when healthy" and "borderline playoff team in reality" point Ferry? I am not sure where that leaves him.

Edited by AHF

So where does "2nd tier in the depleted East; 4th tier in the NBA when healthy" and "borderline playoff team in reality" point Ferry? I am not sure where that leaves him.

Well,

In my opinion you can't answer that until the last game. Say this borderline team wins a first round matchup and takes the Heat/Pacers to 7 games. Impossible you say? I say Hawks/Celtics 2009. Or if they don't make the playoffs that requires a whole different response. So ask again in after the last game.

Well, In my opinion you can't answer that until the last game. Say this borderline team wins a first round matchup and takes the Heat/Pacers to 7 games. Impossible you say? I say Hawks/Celtics 2009. Or if they don't make the playoffs that requires a whole different response. So ask again in after the last game.

Lets not be fooled...even if our team did take an elite team to 7 like they have before. We would still need a star player and better overall team.Yeah, yeah....we took Boston to 7, eventually started getting out of the 1st round and was usually beat down in round 2....taking a team to 7 is nice but not satisfying even with this group cause I know deep down this isn't a championship team.

Lets not be fooled...even if our team did take an elite team to 7 like they have before. We would still need a star player and better overall team.Yeah, yeah....we took Boston to 7, eventually started getting out of the 1st round and was usually beat down in round 2....taking a team to 7 is nice but not satisfying even with this group cause I know deep down this isn't a championship team.

That team was capped out. This team is not and has the ability to make moves. If the 2009 team had the money to go out make a real move instead of Jamal Crawford we could have been on to something. But, we weren't.

That team was capped out. This team is not and has the ability to make moves. If the 2009 team had the money to go out make a real move instead of Jamal Crawford we could have been on to something. But, we weren't.

That's putting a lot of faith in Teague...I'm sure sap will show up but you NEED Teague to be at the least decent just to stay in the game against the heat/pacers.But anything is possible....I will say this if Teague continues this bad play to end the season but then shows out consistently in the playoffs. I will be lost for words!

• Premium Member

This team, at full health, is a second round exit at best. That won't change without serious talent. And if you think the East is always going to stay this bad you're fooling yourself. Many folks thought we would somehow eventually over take Boston and Detroit because they were getting old. Instead, we stayed the best of the rest while Orlando, Cleveland and then Chicago took the top spots. Many thought we would just "somehow" overtake those teams, but instead Miami and now Indiana occupy the top spots. We have a long standing pattern of staying in the middle and being leap frogged by other teams. As long as we continue to sign mediocre players to long term deals and continue to pick from the mid to late first round, we will continue to remain the "best of the rest".

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Please explain this "Danny Ferry is setting the team up so that he can take advantage of any situation that comes up."

Free Agency

-ferry has set this team up for free agency before and though it's not his fault, no matter the amount of cap space the team may have ferry will strike out in free agency again. The free agency route is not for ATL

Trade

-ferry has set this team up for trade and didn't make a move! Not because there aren't any but because you almost NEVER get back equal value. Even when you trade star players you don't get back equal value....melo, lebron, bosh, Howard...you never get back good value! So what possibly do you think ferry can get for milsap and horford?

Draft

-last but no least the good ol draft! Another place ferry has striked out on....or has he?!....everybody that's drafted don't play or is overseas

There's no way you see a plan out of this!

Dude, you're preaching to the choir. lol I can't really argue with the validity of your concerns, because I share them. I'm not so rigid in my thinking though that I can't appreciate things from a different perspective. Ferry's a professional and he's smart; consequently, I'm able to see his logic...even if I don't agree with it. If you go back and read what I said, I've already detailed what I THINK he's done.

If you want specifics...I can do my best, but I don't like making hard analysis of future uncertainties. If we miss the playoffs there's an asset. Dennis is an intriguing asset. Teague will draw some interest... But if you put Horford or Millsap on the table, especially now or next season....there's really SOME room for maneuvering. Maybe we take a gamble on the expiring contract of a decent star...or a young/unproven.

...and there are all manner of journeymen ALWAYS available. Not saying I agree with it or that I'm optimistic, because I'm freaking NOT, but I see what dude is up to for the most part. This season was about building an efficient team around Horford. I sincerely wish he hadn't gotten hurt so Ferry could see the full folly in that....but w/e.

My main issue with this is that we don't have the cap room for a max free agent anymore and we don't have the lottery picks to pull a trade like the Harden, KG, Deron, Carmelo, Shaq, Allen, etc. trades for guys who could be core players on a championship team. It is hard to believe that if a guy like that comes on the market that a team won't outbid us ala Philly, Phoenix, Boston, etc. with actual lottery picks and more first rounders than us.

Can't even argue with you. We're on the same page. I felt the same way as these "nickel and dime" moves for Lou, Korver, and Millsap trickled in. While everybody thought Ferry was "testing out" a Josh Smith centered team...I knew what he was doing. The same way, he did it this year with Horford...but let me not digress.

That underlined part right there....omg. I'm so right there with you and people juuuuuust don't get it. With cap space, those kinds of assets, and fishing in a draft like this... We don't know who the next break out guy is. We don't know the free agent coup that's coming. What we do know is that teams with young talent, cap space, and lottery picks have the perfect storm to make something happen. I'm right there with you dude...

Part of me wants to see one of these teams pull it off...just so people will "get it" and maybe this management team will take notice.

I don't know at this point either. I was really upset by the lack of movement at the trade deadline. I'm tired of hearing all this "you don't make a trade that's not in your favor." As others have suggested if the Lakers only wanted a 2nd rounder he should have pulled the trigger. Your not going to get a Walmart deal every time. Sometimes you have to give up a second round pick to get a proven center. Who might I add is averaging 7 REBS and 15 PPG in over 20 minutes. Probably would've helped out tonight vs Noah.

• Like 2

Dude, you're preaching to the choir. lol I can't really argue with the validity of your concerns, because I share them. I'm not so rigid in my thinking though that I can't appreciate things from a different perspective. Ferry's a professional and he's smart; consequently, I'm able to see his logic...even if I don't agree with it. If you go back and read what I said, I've already detailed what I THINK he's done. If you want specifics...I can do my best, but I don't like making hard analysis of future uncertainties. If we miss the playoffs there's an asset. Dennis is an intriguing asset. Teague will draw some interest... But if you put Horford or Millsap on the table, especially now or next season....there's really SOME room for maneuvering. Maybe we take a gamble on the expiring contract of a decent star...or a young/unproven. ...and there are all manner of journeymen ALWAYS available. Not saying I agree with it or that I'm optimistic, because I'm freaking NOT, but I see what dude is up to for the most part. This season was about building an efficient team around Horford. I sincerely wish he hadn't gotten hurt so Ferry could see the full folly in that....but w/e. Can't even argue with you. We're on the same page. I felt the same way as these "nickel and dime" moves for Lou, Korver, and Millsap trickled in. While everybody thought Ferry was "testing out" a Josh Smith centered team...I knew what he was doing. The same way, he did it this year with Horford...but let me not digress. That underlined part right there....omg. I'm so right there with you and people juuuuuust don't get it. With cap space, those kinds of assets, and fishing in a draft like this... We don't know who the next break out guy is. We don't know the free agent coup that's coming. What we do know is that teams with young talent, cap space, and lottery picks have the perfect storm to make something happen. I'm right there with you dude... Part of me wants to see one of these teams pull it off...just so people will "get it" and maybe this management team will take notice.

I can argue with one thing you said "Dennis being an intriguing player"...now that's true but you would think Dennis would atleast get 15 minutes a game especially in a downhill season.And just my two cents on the part if you put horford and sap on the table statement you made....I hate to say it but I see more teams trying to get over on us than teams trying to make a fair deal which will ultimately force ferry to keep them both. In other words I don't think you can get back as much as we may want to believe for horford and sap, not because they aren't good players but because recent past trades don't work out too well when one team is giving up their best players and the other team has nothing to offer.If anyone believes we can trade sap and horford for a star caliber player they are kidding theirselves or that star player will be a free agent after the season (which may be a risk to take honestly).
  • Like 2