• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Peachtreehoops nails it on why Jeff Teague has struggled.

coachx

And yet when presented with multiple facts that show he was just the same with JJ, Smith and Horford you still come up with the excuse that it's who he's playing with. First it's JJ dominates the ball and takes too many shots, then he's gone and it's Smoove won't pass him the ball and then he's gone and low and behold Teague doesn't step his game up at all and in fact regresses for the 2nd straight year.

Who are you quoting? I've never held those stances with our team. It seems as though you're reaching Dolf. But one thing I do know is our team in 2010 is better than what we have now.Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Who are you quoting? I've never held those stances with our team. It seems as though you're reaching Dolf. But one thing I do know is our team in 2010 is better than what we have now.Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I'm quoting general board statements. I could go back and find dozens of threads where people have made these excuses for Teague over the years, myself included.

Do you know in 2010 that Teague had a .083 WS/48, barely better than his 0.75 of this year? Both are significantly below league average.

I'm quoting general board statements. I could go back and find dozens of threads where people have made these excuses for Teague over the years, myself included. Do you know in 2010 that Teague had a .083 WS/48, barely better than his 0.75 of this year? Both are significantly below league average.

Ahh.. the advanced stats smh lolSent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• Moderators

And yet when presented with multiple facts that show he was just the same with JJ, Smith and Horford you still come up with the excuse that it's who he's playing with. First it's JJ dominates the ball and takes too many shots, then he's gone and it's Smoove won't pass him the ball and then he's gone and low and behold Teague doesn't step his game up at all and in fact regresses for the 2nd straight year.

Those aren't excuses they are facts. Are you saying that JJ didn't dominate the ball, that smoove was a great player to have around to make the pg's job easy. Teague did step up his game this year until every single frontcourt player who could hit the back board from more than 5 feet away went down.

I haven't seen anyone come on here and say Teague is elite, having a fantastic year and never makes mistakes, but why are we constantly seeing that he's average or worse, that he's not someone who should be running the team, that he's always been mediocre and always will be. That running an offense with zero offensive weapons is just an excuse and does not contribute to Teague's struggles. I mean how can anyone take that seriously? That he should have a team this depleted converting easy buckets.

I just don't see why there is the expectation that if you aren't cp3 or tony parker then your average or to some around here 'complete garbage'.

• Like 1

No he's not "great" under any circumstances. His very, very best season was a good .131 WS/48, which was a major aberration as he's had 3 seasons below .100 (average) and then 1 more last year at .111, which is barely above average. You want to talk about "great", that's Chris Paul, who's career AVERAGE WS/48 is .246 and his very WORST season was his rookie season at .178. That's a "great" PG and someone who's twice the PG that Teague could ever dream of being. Being more realistic, we can look at Ty Lawson, who's career WORST season was .135 as a rookie and who has a career AVERAGE of .147. Now does anyone here consider him to be a "great" PG? I certainly don't but he's much, much better than Teague is 9 times out of 10. The problem here is people still believe that he's capable of being more than he is and we've all been guilty of it at one point or another. The truth is that he's just an average starting PG and on good days he can be above average but he's got just as many days where he's below average.

I'm not calling Teague great...I'm saying he's a great THIRD OR FOURTH OPTION. I think that's fair to say! Being a third or fourth option takes all the pressure off of you and Teague could then focus more on his shooting and defense! ....right now we are asking Teague to do things he's capable of but don't have the leadership or alpha dog way to succeed!Teague CAN'T be a playmaker, good shooter, efficient player, and better defender all at once or really at all at the same time BUT what he can be is a good shooter who's efficient, make a couple of good plays here and there, and try a whole lot harder on defense if he's the THIRD OR FOURTH OPTION.That's not a lie! Teague already proved he can be a great THIRD WILL GUY when Johnson and Smith were still on team. We thought he could emerge as the go to guy....everybody including myself wanted Teague to get that shot, that chance to do so and Teague finally received it.But in the event he failed like he is doing right now, most including me wanted to see Dennis get developed but ferry and bud refuse to ride the rookies path to potential greatness...again potential greatness not saying dennis will be great...potential greatness.

So Dolf....You don't think a combination of Teague, horford, and Love can make BIG time noise in the east?I understand wanting to trade Teague if the team continues to need his services as a first and second option but I don't believe you are going to find too many better 3rd option players that are better than Teague.With two guys like horford and love around Teagues numbers will sky rocket and he will be considered an all star reserve. That's not to say he's great but he would be considered a great 3rd player to a potential low end BIG 3.

So Dolf....You don't think a combination of Teague, horford, and Love can make BIG time noise in the east?I understand wanting to trade Teague if the team continues to need his services as a first and second option but I don't believe you are going to find too many better 3rd option players that are better than Teague.With two guys like horford and love around Teagues numbers will sky rocket and he will be considered an all star reserve. That's not to say he's great but he would be considered a great 3rd player to a potential low end BIG 3.

No I don't because Teague is an average PG.

• Like 1

I'm not calling Teague great...I'm saying he's a great THIRD OR FOURTH OPTION.I think that's fair to say! Being a third or fourth option takes all the pressure off of you and Teague could then focus more on his shooting and defense! ....right now we are asking Teague to do things he's capable of but don't have the leadership or alpha dog way to succeed!Teague CAN'T be a playmaker, good shooter, efficient player, and better defender all at once or really at all at the same time BUT what he can be is a good shooter who's efficient, make a couple of good plays here and there, and try a whole lot harder on defense if he's the THIRD OR FOURTH OPTION.That's not a lie! Teague already proved he can be a great THIRD WILL GUY when Johnson and Smith were still on team. We thought he could emerge as the go to guy....everybody including myself wanted Teague to get that shot, that chance to do so and Teague finally received it.But in the event he failed like he is doing right now, most including me wanted to see Dennis get developed but ferry and bud refuse to ride the rookies path to potential greatness...again potential greatness not saying dennis will be great...potential greatness.

He's not a great anything. He's a major liability on offense with his putrid shooting and he's an adequate defender at best who doesn't change the game on either end. We'd be far better off with a PG who can knock down the 3, make easy passes and defends well.

• Like 1

Those aren't excuses they are facts. Are you saying that JJ didn't dominate the ball, that smoove was a great player to have around to make the pg's job easy. Teague did step up his game this year until every single frontcourt player who could hit the back board from more than 5 feet away went down.

I haven't seen anyone come on here and say Teague is elite, having a fantastic year and never makes mistakes, but why are we constantly seeing that he's average or worse, that he's not someone who should be running the team, that he's always been mediocre and always will be. That running an offense with zero offensive weapons is just an excuse and does not contribute to Teague's struggles. I mean how can anyone take that seriously? That he should have a team this depleted converting easy buckets.

I just don't see why there is the expectation that if you aren't cp3 or tony parker then your average or to some around here 'complete garbage'.

I'm saying that those "factual excuses" no longer fly as we've seen he's the same player with those excuses removed. So call it whatever you want but he's an average PG. I never said he's garbage and I don't have to compare him to CP3 when he's not even in the same league as a guy taken 1 pick ahead of him in Ty Lawson.

• Moderators

He's not a great anything. He's a major liability on offense with his putrid shooting and he's an adequate defender at best who doesn't change the game on either end. We'd be far better off with a PG who can knock down the 3, make easy passes and defends well.

Major liability on offense? Is that hyperbole or do you really believe that? The last few games i've watched he's been getting points or getting to the line at will. Last 5 games he's averaging 20 points and shooting 55% from 3. At this point is there anyone on the team who'd you rather give the ball to when we need a bucket?

Major liability on offense? Is that hyperbole or do you really believe that? The last few games i've watched he's been getting points or getting to the line at will. Last 5 games he's averaging 20 points and shooting 55% from 3. At this point is there anyone on the team who'd you rather give the ball to when we need a bucket?

It's not hyperbole. He has SG instinct when it comes to passing and setting his teammates up and he can't shoot outside of the paint to save his life. This is somewhat hyperbole but he's barely better than Josh Smith shooting outside.

The last 5 games he's playing well, but it's fools gold. He hasn't suddenly become a better player. He's just good Jeff Teague right now, not that shell of himself that he regresses into anytime his confidence dips.

As to who I'd rather give the ball to? It doesn't really matter as we don't have anyone I'm comfortable giving the ball to outside of Millsap. But that doesn't excuse Teague for his season or make me feel better about his long term prospects. I mean this is his 5th year and we've seen what he is. I almost feel like Diesel here talking about Marvin and most people just aren't seeing it but someday you guys will just as we all did with Marvin.

• Premium Member

The notion that Ferry was actively shopping Teague at the deadline may not have been just NY media garbage. That 8 million per going to an average point guard for three more years puts a significant dent in the flexibility Ferry wants to maintain. He should have let Teague walk to Milwaukee. Our record this year would have been worse than it is now, but I'd rather have a lottery pick in this draft.

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1

I don't know what to make of Teague. I can't think of a historic comparison factoring in his size, great athleticism, equalling degrees of explosion and inconsistency, poor D, shaky shot, average passing skills, and passive disposition. Guys are just wired differently. Instead of having an "excuse" as to why his production is down without said player, I want a reason why he he's stepped it up, like someone pointed out with Crawdog. I don't think that's too much to ask tor a freshly inked 8 million per.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

The notion that Ferry was actively shopping Teague at the deadline may not have been just NY media garbage. That 8 million per going to an average point guard for three more years puts a significant dent in the flexibility Ferry wants to maintain. He should have let Teague walk to Milwaukee. Our record this year would have been worse than it is now, but I'd rather have a lottery pick in this draft.

I don't know if we should have let him walk as 8 million isn't entirely unreasonable and certainly isn't when he's good Teague. We need someone to trade for his potential though.

Teague is this season's Smoove. It really doesn't matter how he plays at this point. I was wondering who was going to take Smoove's spot on the 'Squawk.

Is that to suggest that criticism of Smoove was wrong and that he's gone on to prove we were wrong?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't know if we should have let him walk as 8 million isn't entirely unreasonable and certainly isn't when he's good Teague. We need someone to trade for his potential though.

Perhaps. I really believe moving his deal will more difficult than many think due to the abundance of quality point guards in the league. I'd much rathered the Hawks held on to that money to use at a later time while collecting a better draft asset to work with.