• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Teague has been a dominate force these last 4 games.

JTB

Usually, but not always, a player is as good or bad as the players he has to play with.

This season, things started out well for our Hawks. When Horford went down for the

season, things changed. Then, as we went deeper into the season, more and more

of our players have gone down.

There is and old saw that goes something like this: "Figures don't lie but liars can figure!"

Hawks are hurting physically. Injury upon injury means that JT doesn't have some very

good players on the floor with him in order for us to be successful. This is not his fault.

JT is not the greatest. We all know that. Still, he's not as bad as some of us want to think.

He can and does have those great offensive games which we sorely need. He's very

capable of exploding at any time in any game.

On the other hand, he's just very average at best on the defensive end at any time. Tis said,

"Offense wins games and defense wins championships."

Just some thoughts from the old man.

• Like 2

Jus to prove what I'm saying, let me tell you about a tale that circulated

many years ago, during the cold war. Russia (USSR) and the USA decided

to play one game of basketball for the championship of the world.

USA, using their finest NBA players, won easily.

You wouldn't know that when you read the USSR news report:

Your great USSR team just completed a wonderful, successful season,

having lost but one game all season. Their poor opponents in the last game,

the team from the USA, only won one game the entire season!

Posted Image

• Premium Member

Now let me add my 2 cents...if I'm not mistaking I believe from the time Teague was resigned most were happy because Teague was getting a well deserved opportunity to become the BIG dog of the team! He showed some good flashes the last 2 years and the assumption was that he could possibly be the real deal with josh smith off the team as many thought smith was holding him back.So now the season starts and you got a young kid that has the skill set to be a very good point guard and all star talent yet he doesn't become anything close to that...should hawk fans be upset? I think so! Ferry showed faith in a young kid who we know can be a all star talent yet he shys away from WANTING to be good. Do you know how many players would love to get the opportunity Teague has received? The opportunity to be the man, the leader, the star player of a franchise?...Not too many...this explains Dolfs point. We gave a player a rare opportunity and he shys away from it like a bi*ch

It's frail around here about this. What really did you expect from Teague? Somewhere in the link I think most squawkers posted expectations. Search for yourself... See what you said and where you are now.

I also think there is to much criticsm on teague right now, he is one of the player who keeps the offense running he isn't good enough to do this against anybody but if he finds a way to hurt the opponent he would do it ... And right now we have few healthy players who can do it.He isn't an excellent Jump Shooter, but his game isn't that Jumpshot heavy for a guard and yes usually guards are good shooters but i think he isn't doing that bad. An example for a player like this doing well, might be Ellis at the Mavs he usually attacks the rim, is surrounded by bigs who can stretch the floor, is able to make a good pass and isn't a good defender ... But overall i think Ellis and Teague are pretty important for the succes of there franchise, Ellis a bit more then Teague when the rest is healthy.Teague is a bit to expensive, but there are worse contracts out there and this isn't his fault.

Edited by CrazyEye

Surround Teague around a good team and the kid will flourish. Basketball is a team sport and its tough for a point guard to will a team of mediocre players. You won't see Chris Paul or Kyrie Irving do it. Why do you think players like Paul leave for other teams..? They know what it takes for them to compete at a high level so they surround themselves around great players. To be honest, the way Teague has played without Horford is pretty impressive in its self. Yeah, he's been slumping. But! Averaging 7assists with a bunch of second teamers in the NBA is pretty good. Think about it his averages if Horford was healthy. 20+pts and maybe 10asts a game..? Remember, no one can do it all in this league. Furthermore, other players on the team and even coach Bud need to step up. When Teague is hot and the teams clicking all cylinders, ride them a little longer. Putting Mack and Dennis in the game at the same time has killed the teams momentum in games. But I've noticed how some people don't like to be wrong and its quite interesting. I will ignore the contract garbage because its completely ridiculous. We call ASG cheap, but when they spend money wisely some of us have an issue. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Edited by willthepureshooter
  • Like 1

Surround Teague around a good team and the kid will flourish. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I've said this before and I will say it again and again. If Teague were on a team with horford and a Kevin love type he would put up all star numbers...it's almost a gurantee!I'm not calling Teague great but I am calling him a great 3rd or 4th option that could put up all star reserve numbers year in and year out.If it were somehow possible to have horford, love, and sap on the same team with Teague...Teague would look like a top 7 pg in the nba. Put Teague on the heat and espn would be all over Jeffery and how good he is! But try to make Teague the Big dog of the team and he will fail you, it doesn't mean he's a bad player, he's just a terrific 3rd/4th option.

• Moderators

I am not sure Teague would fit very well with the Heat. Wade is a bad perimeter shooter and Lebron is much better inside as well. Both guys are ball dominant players. That would put Teague in a position where he was playing off the ball and shooting jumpers which he isn't very good at. That was the recipe for failure early in his career when he wasn't allowed to be the primary ballhandler. I don't know that a Chalmers type of player isn't a better fit for Miami where he just spaces the floor with his perimeter shooting and plays decent D. I think Teague is a much better fit for Atlanta than Chalmers, in constrast, because we don't have other perimeter players who need access to the lane which is where Teague is at his best. If he was fighting Korver and for who was going to penetrate into the paint, I don't think he would be as successful as he is in Atlanta.

• Like 1

I am not sure Teague would fit very well with the Heat. Wade is a bad perimeter shooter and Lebron is much better inside as well. Both guys are ball dominant players. That would put Teague in a position where he was playing off the ball and shooting jumpers which he isn't very good at. That was the recipe for failure early in his career when he wasn't allowed to be the primary ballhandler. I don't know that a Chalmers type of player isn't a better fit for Miami where he just spaces the floor with his perimeter shooting and plays decent D. I think Teague is a much better fit for Atlanta than Chalmers, in constrast, because we don't have other perimeter players who need access to the lane which is where Teague is at his best. If he was fighting Korver and for who was going to penetrate into the paint, I don't think he would be as successful as he is in Atlanta.

Agree to disagree....Teague has shot well from the 3 point line before and I'm sure he could return to decent 3 point line shooting next season.I think the added responsibilities Teague had this upcoming season messed with other parts of his game unfortunately. If we had Teague as the 3rd or 4th option he could easily refocus on his shooting and be a lot better than what he has shown this season.

• Moderators

Agree to disagree....Teague has shot well from the 3 point line before and I'm sure he could return to decent 3 point line shooting next season.I think the added responsibilities Teague had this upcoming season messed with other parts of his game unfortunately. If we had Teague as the 3rd or 4th option he could easily refocus on his shooting and be a lot better than what he has shown this season.

I don't disagree with Teague possibly being a good 3rd or 4th option on a team. It is the Miami fit that gives me problems. What Teague does well isn't a need for Miami and what Miami needs to pair with Wade and Lebron isn't what Teague offers.

We'll agree to disagree on his shooting. He is 5 years into his career and has shot 33% on over 600 3pt shots. He is neither a prolific shooter from that range nor a particularly accurate one. His career high in any season with even 50 attempts is just short of 36% which is not very good. Chalmers has shot 250% of the 3's that Teague has (1500 to 600) and shot a career average better than Teague's career high during a season with a reasonable sample size.

Chalmers has hit .388 on 260 attempts, .409 on 301 attempts and .390 on 154 attempts the last 3 seasons.

Teague has hit .342 on 149 attempts, .359 on 248 attempts and .275 on 138 attempts the last 3 seasons.

Teague is the better player but worse fit for Miami, IMO, considering Teague hasn't done more defensively and is substantially worse at the primary thing that Miami wants from its PG -- the ability to stretch the floor on defense and open up driving lanes for Wade/Lebron.

I don't disagree with Teague possibly being a good 3rd or 4th option on a team. It is the Miami fit that gives me problems. What Teague does well isn't a need for Miami and what Miami needs to pair with Wade and Lebron isn't what Teague offers.

We'll agree to disagree on his shooting. He is 5 years into his career and has shot 33% on over 600 3pt shots. He is neither a prolific shooter from that range nor a particularly accurate one. His career high in any season with even 50 attempts is just short of 36% which is not very good. Chalmers has shot 250% of the 3's that Teague has (1500 to 600) and shot a career average better than Teague's career high during a season with a reasonable sample size.

Chalmers has hit .388 on 260 attempts, .409 on 301 attempts and .390 on 154 attempts the last 3 seasons.

Teague has hit .342 on 149 attempts, .359 on 248 attempts and .275 on 138 attempts the last 3 seasons.

Teague is the better player but worse fit for Miami, IMO, considering Teague hasn't done more defensively and is substantially worse at the primary thing that Miami wants from its PG -- the ability to stretch the floor on defense and open up driving lanes for Wade/Lebron.

100% agree on this. We are better with Teague, Miami are better with Chalmers.

But Teague's abilities>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Macks and Schroders abilities combined

Other than being athletic what are Teague's "abilities" again? Certainly not shooting, defense or court vision...

Other than being athletic what are Teague's "abilities" again? Certainly not shooting, defense or court vision...

He's faster and quicker than both Dennis and Mack,he has more hops than both,slightly better handles than Dennis,abit more handles than Mack,more hops than both of them,more explosive than oth of them,better slasher than them,faster in the open floor than them,did I miss anything?

He's faster and quicker than both Dennis and Mack,he has more hops than both,slightly better handles than Dennis,abit more handles than Mack,more hops than both of them,more explosive than oth of them,better slasher than them,faster in the open floor than them,did I miss anything?

Pretty sure you just said basically the same thing multiple ways. How about instead of unimportant stuff like you mentioned, discuss shooting ability from various areas on the court, ability to defend the opposing PG especially on PnRs, ability to set teammates up for easy baskets, leadership ability on the court, etc etc. I'm pretty sure Teague is far more athletic than Mookie ever was but I'd take Mookie 100 times out of 100 because of many of the reasons I listed above. Now at this point Teague is still the better PG on our roster but 2 years from now I doubt he will be.

Pretty sure you just said basically the same thing multiple ways. How about instead of unimportant stuff like you mentioned, discuss shooting ability from various areas on the court, ability to defend the opposing PG especially on PnRs, ability to set teammates up for easy baskets, leadership ability on the court, etc etc. I'm pretty sure Teague is far more athletic than Mookie ever was but I'd take Mookie 100 times out of 100 because of many of the reasons I listed above. Now at this point Teague is still the better PG on our roster but 2 years from now I doubt he will be.

No everything I said was different, each one of them are different traits.And I dont think Schröder nor Mack will be better than Teague in two years

No everything I said was different, each one of them are different traits.And I dont think Schröder nor Mack will be better than Teague in two years

No you basically said everything that refers to his athleticism, nothing about the important qualities in a PG / leader.

He's faster and quicker than both Dennis and Mack, - athleticism

he has more hops than both, - athleticism

slightly better handles than Dennis,a bit more handles than Mack - athleticism and questionable if true

,more hops than both of them, - athleticism (repeated)

more explosive than both of them, - athleticism

better slasher than them, - athleticism

faster in the open floor than them, - athleticism (repeated)

did I miss anything? - yes you missed the important qualities in a PG / leader