• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bleacher Report grades coach Bud an A-

Endy9

I like Bud.

But giving him an A- is grading on an extreme curve.

We have lost 11 of our last 12 games, with our lone win coming vs the NY Knicks, a team that has lost 12 of their last 14 games. Even with all of the injuries, a legit NBA team will at least catch a bad or a mediocre team on an off night, and get a win.

There's no way you can give any player, coach, or executive in this organization a grade higher than a B, considering that the team is losing at an almost historic rate for this franchise.

The 2006 - 07 Hawks had lost 12 of 13 games between December and early January

The 2005 - 06 Hawks lost 16 of their first 18 games . . including their first 9 games of the season

The 2004 - 05 historically bad Hawks lost 32 of their last 35 games of the season.

You can't give high praise to mediocrity. I bet Bud wouldn't give himself an A-. He expects far more of himself and of his team.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 1

Looking at the entire season, we are still doing WAY better than I expected. He's made the most out of this virtually talentless team. He deserves the grade given to him in my opinion.

I agree. It was obviously a transition year and when we lose our best player for the season... and we still might make the playoffs.

• Like 2

Coaches that deserve an A grade this year:Jeff Hornacek - PhoenixTerry Stots - PortlandTom Thibodeau - ChicagoDwane Casey - Toronto

I like Scott Mitchell (a lot of people don't, but his commentary before and after our games on the radio is great) but remember when he won COY because of his lack of talent and/or expectations, now can't get a job. I'm not sold on Stotts and Casey, so I'd swap them for Vogel and Pop. True, Hornacek had COY wrapped up some time ago.A- sounds right on Bud. We all knew this team wouldn't compete for a championship, but they compete every night. I think there's a method to his madness as far as the funky lineups and going small so much in terms of the versatility of the team going forward and evaluation of who stays and goes. He's no dummy, I'm sure he knows the importance of having Bigs and traditionally positioned players.I wasn't a fan of any of the Big Name FAs that Ferry went after, but if you want to look at it as a failure he didn't snag one, that's fair. But I'm reserving all long-term judgement for this franchise until this summer. In the short term, I don't see how he and Bud could've done any better. I don't see how anyone can discount the three things they've delivered that we didn't have and been searching for: leadership stability, financial and roster flexibility (we know you'd rather have Joe, sorry) and a proven offensive system.
  • Like 3

• Moderators

I like Scott Mitchell (a lot of people don't, but his commentary before and after our games on the radio is great) but remember when he won COY because of his lack of talent and/or expectations, now can't get a job. I'm not sold on Stotts and Casey, so I'd swap them for Vogel and Pop. True, Hornacek had COY wrapped up some time ago.A- sounds right on Bud. We all knew this team wouldn't compete for a championship, but they compete every night. I think there's a method to his madness as far as the funky lineups and going small so much in terms of the versatility of the team going forward and evaluation of who stays and goes. He's no dummy, I'm sure he knows the importance of having Bigs and traditionally positioned players.I wasn't a fan of any of the Big Name FAs that Ferry went after, but if you want to look at it as a failure he didn't snag one, that's fair. But I'm reserving all long-term judgement for this franchise until this summer. In the short term, I don't see how he and Bud could've done any better. I don't see how anyone can discount the three things they've delivered that we didn't have and been searching for: leadership stability, financial and roster flexibility (we know you'd rather have Joe, sorry) and a proven offensive system.

It's kind of a running joke but they really have changed the culture. I mean this team is in free fall. Is there any griping, complaining, or finger pointing? These guys know the deal. Korver, Millsap, Demarre. They know what has happened this season but that this season is just as much about next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Brand back but i expect we will build on this season. And is there anyone who thinks Bud didn't do a good job or that he is not the long term answer for the Hawks? I can't think of the last Hawks season I thought that about the coach. Probably have to go back to Lenny.

• Like 2

Most writers etc. recognize Bud's coaching ability:

Another tough week for the Hawks and another tough week due to injuries for this team. The Hawks have had a tough time and are still struggling due to the lack of size on the roster.

Anyway before I rant due to the recent losing streak, let's start things off in the rankings, where Jason Patt of SBNation.com placing the Hawks at #18 and notices we are still somehow in the playoff hunt.

Kurt Helin of NBCSports.com moves the Hawks down a spot to #19 and notices the upcoming schedule may be tough.

The Hawks are hanging on for dear life in the East, lucky to still have some breathing room because the conference is so bad. But hey, Kyle Korver still has his streak going!

Matt Moore of CBSSports.com makes a very Matt Moore type of comment with putting the Hawks at #20.

They are 1-9 in their last 10 games and are barely holding on to the final playoff spot in the East. Things don’t get easier this week on a West Coast road swing with the Trail Blazers, Warriors and Clippers on the docket. The Hawks really miss Paul Millsap and his return in the coming week or two would be a huge boost.

The guys over at USAToday.com put the Hawks at #18 and say that if the injuries never happened, Coach Bud should be a Coach of the Year candidate.

You're supposed to put pressure on the wound, Atlanta. Not bleed everywhere.

John Schuhmann of NBA.com moves the Hawks down to #19 due to the recent losing streak. On the bright side, he realizes we are undermanned and still fighting.

When you factor in health, Mike Budenholzer is a solid coach of the year candidate.

Marc Stein of ESPN.com puts the Hawks at #20 after having a rough month of February.

They're not getting blown out on a regular basis like the Sixers, haven't obviously let go of the rope like the Knicks, and could get Paul Millsap back soon. But the Hawks have lost 11 of their last 12 games and continue a tough road trip this week. Amazingly, they still have a 3 1/2 game lead for the final playoff spot in the East, with only Cleveland looking like it has any shot to challenge them.

Matt Dollinger of SI.com drops the Hawks to this weeks worst #22 and suddenly realizes the possibility of stealth tanking.

Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports drops Atlanta to #19 and well....... just check out what he has to say.

The Hawks could miss the playoffs for the first time in seven years if their struggles continue -- but that's a good thing. Atlanta, which has lost 11 of 12, never advanced past the second round in any of those postseason campaigns. And as general manager Danny Ferry surely realizes, sometimes you have to get worse to get better in the NBA.

Finally Jimmy Spencer of FOXSports.com drops our home team to #18 and points out the struggles and being undermanned.

The Hawks are battling; you’ve got to give them that. They’re undermanned but pushing nonetheless, yet the losing results continue to spiral them further down the standings. The Hawks, once seen as a favorite to land with a No. 3 or 4 seed in the East (by default), are now barely clinging to the No. 8 spot after losing nine of 10.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/3/4/5467212/nba-power-ranking-atlanta-hawks

Edited by JayBirdHawk

It's kind of a running joke but they really have changed the culture. I mean this team is in free fall. Is there any griping, complaining, or finger pointing?

Most definitely. Guys aren't getting kicked out of practice, there isn't any coded language about other guys not carrying their weight in interviews, there aren't any shots at the fans being made, no fines, benchings or suspensions due to "violation of team conduct" etc. etc.People can make their focus on the end result but this team definitely doesn't look like they are mired in the worst losing streak of the past decade. How often in the past were we as fans treated to a team that visibly didn't care once the going got tough and looked more interested in hitting the club after than working to cut into a 20 point lead? How even after a run by the opposing team and a timeout they'd run a set with about as much enthusiasm as a kid visiting the dentist?When you take step back and look at the lack of these negative things and actually see positive things, it's hard not to think coaching is at work.
  • Like 1

Most definitely. Guys aren't getting kicked out of practice, there isn't any coded language about other guys not carrying their weight in interviews, there aren't any shots at the fans being made, no fines, benchings or suspensions due to "violation of team conduct" etc. etc.People can make their focus on the end result but this team definitely doesn't look like they are mired in the worst losing streak of the past decade. How often in the past were we as fans treated to a team that visibly didn't care once the going got tough and looked more interested in hitting the club after than working to cut into a 20 point lead? How even after a run by the opposing team and a timeout they'd run a set with about as much enthusiasm as a kid visiting the dentist?When you take step back and look at the lack of these negative things and actually see positive things, it's hard not to think coaching is at work.

honestly i love the fight and the willingness to learn. The only reason i don't get angry when we lose because we are actually trying and making adjustments. We can get better. Bud is doing alot. I mag question his lineups as he doesn't wanna put size in whenever we have it but hes doing well

I just think that people are going far out of their way to give Bud and others high praise for anything they do, regardless if it leads to success on the court or not.It saddens me to see the passion leave some of you fans. Ownership probably loves it though, because people won't hold them accountable for anything for a while.

I just think that people are going far out of their way to give Bud and others high praise for anything they do, regardless if it leads to success on the court or not.It saddens me to see the passion leave some of you fans. Ownership probably loves it though, because people won't hold them accountable for anything for a while.

What are you expecting to be done differently ? I don't get it.

• Moderators

The best free agent signing we got last offseason was Bud. As I said before, in 2012, we got the GM right. In 2013, we got the coaching staff right. Now it's time to get the roster right which takes longer than just hiring a GM or head coach. I see DMC here for a little while. KK and Horford too. Everyone else is a toss up.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I dont see the ownership as an obstacle anymore. They are letting basketball minds procure and organize talent and have shown they are willing to pay the top FAs. the key is getting those FAs to sign with us.. Get the basketball right and there is a good chance they will. We are getting the basketball right - garnering more respect than i have seen since Lenny was coach. So why not be positive about our future and Ferrys direction???Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• Moderators

I dont see the ownership as an obstacle anymore. They are letting basketball minds procure and organize talent and have shown they are willing to pay the top FAs. the key is getting those FAs to sign with us.. Get the basketball right and there is a good chance they will. We are getting the basketball right - garnering more respect than i have seen since Lenny was coach. So why not be positive about our future and Ferrys direction???Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who still bashes the ASG is still living in the dark ages of WLOC and/or is butt hurt over losing the Thrashers ( which I saw a suspiciously high number of Winnepeg fans in Nashville this past weekend). This ownership is different. Levenson is taking after Arthur Blank and getting the right guys in the right positions and allowing them to do their job. He has put faith into Ferry to fix this franchise. Ferry has done wonders for setting this team up for the future, although some members on here can't see the forest through the trees. Who cares about this season; we weren't going anywhere even if Horford didn't get hurt. This organization is going places. We will be the next Indiana-type team.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Anyone who still bashes the ASG is still living in the dark ages of WLOC and/or is butt hurt over losing the Thrashers ( which I saw a suspiciously high number of Winnepeg fans in Nashville this past weekend). This ownership is different. Levenson is taking after Arthur Blank and getting the right guys in the right positions and allowing them to do their job. He has put faith into Ferry to fix this franchise. Ferry has done wonders for setting this team up for the future, although some members on here can't see the forest through the trees. Who cares about this season; we weren't going anywhere even if Horford didn't get hurt. This organization is going places. We will be the next Indiana-type team.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is our Paul George? Where are we going to get our Lance Stephenson? Will we even go after Stephenson during free agency this summer?

Most of you guys who support the GM, are only speaking out of hope and dreams. You're not speaking in realistic terms, because the talent we now have out on the court may not even be here next year. And if they are here next year, all of them will have to significantly improve, along with us adding a 1st round pick that can contribute right away, for the Hawks to be a legit playoff team next year ( and not a playoff team that hovers around .500 ).

My outlook on this team would be totally different, if we were losing like this with Schröder, Scott, Mack, Jenkins, Bebe, and Muscala all being in the rotation and getting significant minutes. We could then sing the "Young Guys are Developing" song, and see exactly which guys we could count on in the near future. But the reality is that Jenkins and Bebe are hurt. Muscala just got here. Scott and Mack look like solid role players. And Schröder is buried in a dog house far worse than what Teague, Law, and Salim were ever in.

With all of this hope for the future . .

- no one can name the 1 free agent that the Hawks can legitimately get ( and be willing to pay for )

- no one can say which kid we could draft in the middle of the 1st round, that would help this squad

- no one wants Lou Williams

- we couldn't trade Jeff Teague for a deal of the GM's liking

News flash for folks:

Indiana isn't going anywhere

Miami isn't going anywhere

Chicago isn't going anywhere

Toronto, unbelievably, looks to be in better shape than we are these days, and for the future

Washington has their backcourt for the future

And even the dang Bobcats/Hornets are in position this summer to add a significant player ( and outbid us for his services )

Plus there's Brooklyn . . who after being 11 games under .500 on New Year's Eve . . has posted a 19 - 8 record since that time and has made it back to .500.

We'll see if the GM doubles down and retains guys like Antić, Mack, and Scott . . . or if he actually goes out, does some work, and bring in another starter quality player to this team.

No one in this organization deserves an A grade for anything they've done this year. That doesn't mean that they've been terrible. But an A grade means they have been stellar. No one has been stellar this season, especially on the bench and in the front office.

Fans are patting players on the back and giving Bud and the GM praise, like they're a Little League team or something

(( clapping )) - "Good job guys . . . good effort guys . . . we'l get them next time . . we'll get that player you wanted next time . . good job . . . I'm so proud of you, even if you're losing at a 2006 level".

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

• Moderators

Who is our Paul George? Where are we going to get our Lance Stephenson? Will we even go after Stephenson during free agency this summer?

Most of you guys who support the GM, are only speaking out of hope and dreams. You're not speaking in realistic terms, because the talent we now have out on the court may not even be here next year. And if they are here next year, all of them will have to significantly improve, along with us adding a 1st round pick that can contribute right away, for the Hawks to be a legit playoff team next year ( and not a playoff team that hovers around .500 ).

My outlook on this team would be totally different, if we were losing like this with Schröder, Scott, Mack, Jenkins, Bebe, and Muscala all being in the rotation and getting significant minutes. We could then sing the "Young Guys are Developing" song, and see exactly which guys we could count on in the near future. But the reality is that Jenkins and Bebe are hurt. Muscala just got here. Scott and Mack look like solid role players. And Schröder is buried in a dog house far worse than what Teague, Law, and Salim were ever in.

With all of this hope for the future . .

- no one can name the 1 free agent that the Hawks can legitimately get ( and be willing to pay for )

- no one can say which kid we could draft in the middle of the 1st round, that would help this squad

- no one wants Lou Williams

- we couldn't trade Jeff Teague for a deal of the GM's liking

News flash for folks:

Indiana isn't going anywhere

Miami isn't going anywhere

Chicago isn't going anywhere

Toronto, unbelievably, looks to be in better shape than we are these days, and for the future

Washington has their backcourt for the future

And even the dang Bobcats/Hornets are in position this summer to add a significant player ( and outbid us for his services )

Plus there's Brooklyn . . who after being 11 games under .500 on New Year's Eve . . has posted a 19 - 8 record since that time and has made it back to .500.

We'll see if the GM doubles down and retains guys like Antić, Mack, and Scott . . . or if he actually goes out, does some work, and bring in another starter quality player to this team.

No one in this organization deserves an A grade for anything they've done this year. That doesn't mean that they've been terrible. But an A grade means they have been stellar. No one has been stellar this season, especially on the bench and in the front office.

Fans are patting players on the back and giving Bud and the GM praise, like they're a Little League team or something

(( clapping )) - "Good job guys . . . good effort guys . . . we'l get them next time . . we'll get that player you wanted next time . . good job . . . I'm so proud of you, even if you're losing at a 2006 level".

...and this is the problem with posters like you. You only see the here and now and what has happened. I have no clue who our Paul George or Lance Stephenson (DMC?) will be, but I do know that we have our Frank Vogel in Bud. I do know we have Horford (as a player and a trade chip) and ever since Ferry took over being the GM, we aren't hampered by bad contracts and poor culture. We aren't just a team that's just a bunch of street ballers free-wheeling out on the court that's lead by ISO-Woody or sheepdog Drew. Ferry has a culture in place. Bud has a system in place. Step back and view the whole forest and stop being small-minded... The games, whether we win or lose, doesn't matter. Teams in transition don't win a lot of games nor do they have expectations. Stop looking at the win/loss columns and box scores because they don't matter. This current roster does not matter because they are nothing more than trade chips and stopgaps. Really, the offseason is when our season actually begins. We are rebuilding and going through a transition between eras. Ferry has gotten rid of the bad contracts and attitudes. He has assets that can be used as trade chips that other teams want. He has this team primed and ready to jump on the next Harden situation or disgruntled star (like CP3 to LAC or Melo to NY or Kyrie/Westbrook/Love to ...), but he isn't going to make a trade just to make one. He also isn't going to sign Bynum in the offseason to just appease the fan base. If in five seasons we are no better than we are today then I will question Ferry with everyone else, but for now, the 82 games between offseasons just doesn't matter.

Our offseason schedule:

[*]Draft for need

[*]Go after free agents

[*]If we miss out on top FA's, then collect trade chips

[*]Develop young talent in SL, camp, and exhibition

And if you look at Indy's team, the only big free agent signing they made was West. Every other player was someone they developed or traded for. Stephenson is their product. George is their product (4th season). Turner was snagged in a trade of Granger. They got George Hill in exchanged for Kawhi Leonard. They got Hibbert from Toronto and developed him. Scola was brought over in a trade.

Basically, we are in the Joey Harrington/Chris Redman days of the Falcons... Just a QB to get us from Vick to Ryan.

• Like 2

Who is our Paul George? Where are we going to get our Lance Stephenson? Will we even go after Stephenson during free agency this summer? Most of you guys who support the GM, are only speaking out of hope and dreams. You're not speaking in realistic terms, because the talent we now have out on the court may not even be here next year. And if they are here next year, all of them will have to significantly improve, along with us adding a 1st round pick that can contribute right away, for the Hawks to be a legit playoff team next year ( and not a playoff team that hovers around .500 ). My outlook on this team would be totally different, if we were losing like this with Schröder, Scott, Mack, Jenkins, Bebe, and Muscala all being in the rotation and getting significant minutes. We could then sing the "Young Guys are Developing" song, and see exactly which guys we could count on in the near future. But the reality is that Jenkins and Bebe are hurt. Muscala just got here. Scott and Mack look like solid role players. And Schröder is buried in a dog house far worse than what Teague, Law, and Salim were ever in. With all of this hope for the future . . - no one can name the 1 free agent that the Hawks can legitimately get ( and be willing to pay for )- no one can say which kid we could draft in the middle of the 1st round, that would help this squad- no one wants Lou Williams- we couldn't trade Jeff Teague for a deal of the GM's liking News flash for folks: Indiana isn't going anywhereMiami isn't going anywhereChicago isn't going anywhereToronto, unbelievably, looks to be in better shape than we are these days, and for the futureWashington has their backcourt for the futureAnd even the dang Bobcats/Hornets are in position this summer to add a significant player ( and outbid us for his services ) Plus there's Brooklyn . . who after being 11 games under .500 on New Year's Eve . . has posted a 19 - 8 record since that time and has made it back to .500. We'll see if the GM doubles down and retains guys like Antić, Mack, and Scott . . . or if he actually goes out, does some work, and bring in another starter quality player to this team. No one in this organization deserves an A grade for anything they've done this year. That doesn't mean that they've been terrible. But an A grade means they have been stellar. No one has been stellar this season, especially on the bench and in the front office. Fans are patting players on the back and giving Bud and the GM praise, like they're a Little League team or something(( clapping )) - "Good job guys . . . good effort guys . . . we'l get them next time . . we'll get that player you wanted next time . . good job . . . I'm so proud of you, even if you're losing at a 2006 level".

This article is about our coach. Not our GM or ownership. What were your expectations for Bud with this roster ? Top 3 team in the East ? You're being irrational.