• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does the Melo way make sense?

jrok23

• Admin

Melo and his ISO game would be a terrible fit here. I agree with AHF that he would fit better on a team as a second or third banana. He is not going to lead his team to a championship. However, he will never sacrifice his game for the better of the team.

Melo and his ISO game would be a terrible fit here. I agree with AHF that he would fit better on a team as a second or third banana. He is not going to lead his team to a championship. However, he will never sacrifice his game for the better of the team.

I disagree. I think if Melo could play within the offense he would excel here more than anywhere. He's asked to be an iso player with Mike Woodson. If he got into a system like ours, it could free him up for easier looks so he won't be forced to take over as much as he is now.
  • Like 1

He is definitely overrated. He is talked about in the same breath as Lebron and Durant and he isn't close to them on either end of the floor. His "curse" is as more a factor of his iso proclivity and his lack of D than any supposed bad luck. He is a very good player but not a #1 who can win a championship. He would be killer in the Chris Bosh type of role (3rd best player and a clear alpha or two ahead of him on the scoring pecking order) but as the best player on his team he will be looking a early playoff exits most season in his career. Those Nuggets teams had some talent.

Carmelo is definitely in the same class offensively as Durant and LeBron. His "curse" has been the teams he's played for lack the talent around him to be real contenders. His best team was when they made it to the conference finals (maybe semis I don't remember) with AI as his robin. Remember, a lot of people used to believe the same about LeBron until he joined 2 All Stars and made a big three. No one can win by themselves.

• Admin

Carmelo is definitely in the same class offensively as Durant and LeBron. His "curse" has been the teams he's played for lack the talent around him to be real contenders. His best team was when they made it to the conference finals (maybe semis I don't remember) with AI as his robin. Remember, a lot of people used to believe the same about LeBron until he joined 2 All Stars and made a big three. No one can win by themselves.

melo is a guy who can put up nice numbers but he is not a team player... He is a me first player

Melo is no Durant or Lebron, but if you add him to this team we immediately become darkhorse contenders. That is worth signing him. We'd have to deal Lou and some spare change and he'd have to take a bit of a paycut but it is completely worth it.

• Admin

Melo is no Durant or Lebron, but if you add him to this team we immediately become darkhorse contenders. That is worth signing him. We'd have to deal Lou and some spare change and he'd have to take a bit of a paycut but it is completely worth it.

take a pay cut to come to Atlanta...that's funnySent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not a bad thing but he should not be in the same conversations as the bigger stars in the league

7 time All Star, 6 time All NBA, scoring champion, and gold medalist and he's not a superstar ? The perception of Carmelo and his ability has truly been warped. He's a future Hall of Famer...
  • Like 1

• Admin

7 time All Star, 6 time All NBA, scoring champion, and gold medalist and he's not a superstar ? The perception of Carmelo and his ability has truly been warped. He's a future Hall of Famer...

he puts up nice numbers but he is not a chemistry guy

Have u watched him play? He is a complete ISO player...people complained about Joe...Melo is joe x10.

He plays for Mike Woodson. What are you expecting ? He can score off the ball too because he has a good jumper.

• Moderators

He isn't close to them.

Why do people only focus on PPG without looking at how many shots and possessions are needed to put up those numbers?

Carmelo

25.3 ppg

.547 TS%

Durant

27.2 ppg

.599 TS%

James

27.5 ppg

.580 TS%

Carmelo is reasonably close in PPG, although obviously not as good as either. He is worlds away in TS%.

The difference in Carmelo's scoring efficiency and Durant's is significantly bigger than the difference between Carmelo and Josh Smith:

.599 TS% (Durant) - .547 TS% (Carmelo) = .052%

.547 TS% (Carmelo) - .511 TS% (Smith) = .036%

They aren't even close.

He is definitely overrated. He is talked about in the same breath as Lebron and Durant and he isn't close to them on either end of the floor. His "curse" is as more a factor of his iso proclivity and his lack of D than any supposed bad luck. He is a very good player but not a #1 who can win a championship. He would be killer in the Chris Bosh type of role (3rd best player and a clear alpha or two ahead of him on the scoring pecking order) but as the best player on his team he will be looking a early playoff exits most season in his career. Those Nuggets teams had some talent.

Didn't Melo almost with the scoring title last year? I recall Smoove getting owned by Melo's D on multiple occasions. Durant's D is not that good. I'm not even going to compare anyone with LBJ because that would be unfair.

To those who said that Melo is a selfish player, I feel that Melo's lack of passing has more to do with the teams he's been on and the system's he's played in. Give Melo some options to pass the ball and I think you would be surprised.

Have u watched him play? He is a complete ISO player...people complained about Joe...Melo is joe x10.

Yea, but he's playing under Coach "ISO" Woody and before that he was playing under Mike "Run-and-Gun" D'Antoni.

Even under a different coach, NY doesn't have a lot of offensive weapons outside of Melo.

He isn't close to them.

Why do people only focus on PPG without looking at how many shots and possessions are needed to put up those numbers?

Carmelo

25.3 ppg

.547 TS%

Durant

27.2 ppg

.599 TS%

James

27.5 ppg

.580 TS%

Okay, point taken. Darn you and your stats. :)

However, I still feel things would be a little different for Melo if he wasn't forced to create his own shot most of the time. Durant can certainly create his own shot but the Thunder work as a team to get him open as much as possible. This certainly helps his efficiency.

he puts up nice numbers but he is not a chemistry guy

Jim Boeheim would strongly disagree with you. I could find quotes all day long about how much he respects and admires Carmelo and he's the only player in the NBA that he coached that he goes out of his way to defend, which says a lot coming from one of the greatest college coaches of all time.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2012/08/knicks_carmelo_anthony_critics_jim_boeheim.html

“He gets criticized for what he does, and that’s being an offensive machine. I’m tired of reading it. He doesn’t play like LeBron James. He can pass, but he’s a scorer. He’s an offensive force. That’s what he does. He’s an offensive scorer, and internationally, he’s unguardable at the 4. You really need a 3 to guard him, but then he can take him inside.’’

“I talked to him when he went to New York. Whether it’s a good team or not, they will blame you if they lose. Last year, they didn’t have the team to win against Miami. They didn’t have a point guard. They didn’t shoot it at the 2. They had many deficiencies. No NBA player can win a championship alone. LeBron James tried it in Cleveland and couldn’t do it.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/13/jim-boeheim-tells-carmelo-anthony-to-leave-knicks-basically/

What I’d tell him is what I would tell any NBA great player. If you’re a great player in the NBA, for you to be recognized as a great player, you have to win a championship. It’s as simple as that. And I think you have to put yourself in the best position possible to win a championship.

LeBron James did it. He did get some criticism for the way it went down, but he got himself with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh and has been able to win championships. And it’s changed the image of LeBron James forever.

I think you have to be in a place that you have a chance to win a championship. I think Carmelo loves New York, but I would tell him, “Let’s try to get some place where you can win this thing.”

I can't believe some of the ridiculous things being said in this thread about Carmelo. Yeah I'm a homer but some of you guys are just absolutely hating on a guy who's never had a real chance to win anything.

He isn't close to them.

Carmelo

25.3 ppg

.547 TS%

Durant

27.2 ppg

.599 TS%

James

27.5 ppg

.580 TS%

Carmelo is reasonably close in PPG, although obviously not as good as either. He is worlds away in TS%.

The difference in Carmelo's scoring efficiency and Durant's is significantly bigger than the difference between Carmelo and Josh Smith:

.599 TS% (Durant) - .547 TS% (Carmelo) = .052%

.547 TS% (Carmelo) - .511 TS% (Smith) = .036%

They aren't even close.

Let's bring in some honest stats here. Let's see Lebron back in Cleveland when he had to be the lead dog.

TS%'s in Cleveland:

[*].488

[*].554

[*].568

[*].552

[*].568

[*].591

[*].604

Average: .560
Sure, Lebron got a lot better towards the end, but he had Shaq, a quality Mo Williams, Big Z, Jamison, etc. as some pretty decent veterans around him.

Where has Melo been the last 2 years? .560 and .561

Let's see him get to play with someone the caliber of Wade, Bosh or Westbrook and then decide if he's in their class or not offensively.