• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The worst playoff team in NBA history

gsuteke

• Moderators

Problem: What execs would agree to not having playoff games? You really think they'd give up the extra dollars? No chance.The system is fine.

You would still have the same number of playoff games. All the East Execs right now would be wary of this while all the West Execs would be all over it -- actually, I say that but Atlanta's owners might be all over it this year so we wouldn't face the possibility of getting either the #15 pick or the #11 pick or something similar. Commish is supposed to make the call in these types of "zero sum" scenarios in the best interests of the long-term revenues, the fans, and the sport. Ultimately, it would probably take convincing a good number of East owners that they would make more money over the long-term by putting the best 16 teams in the playoffs.

• Like 2

I dont want to tank but I also wont be able to stomach watching a Hawks/Heat series. Watching Captain Sportscenter be glorified for the way he chews gum or drinks water. If we take another beating from Indiana so be it. We may get them to a game 6 or 7.

Edited by NJHAWK

• Premium Member

Either way this is going to be ugly

... that sums it up perfectly. The Hawks obviously got the order to tank but CLE, DET, and NY are too bad to take the 8th spot. The 7th/8th spots are NOT the place to be if you want to have any chance to advance to the 2nd Round. So we are out of the Lottery AND simultaneously heading to a 1st Round beat down. Ugly is the perfect description. Purgatory also comes to mind.

What's the difference really in being the 8 seed and being the best team in the lottery? One or two spots in the draft? Wouldn't it be better for us to get some playoff experience in exchange for drafting one spot lower? We probably have the assets to trade up in the draft if we really like a certain player.So what am I missing? Don't say the lottery because it's not like we'll end up with a to 10 pick anyways. People are cooling down on this draft compared to 6 months ago.

What's the difference really in being the 8 seed and being the best team in the lottery? One or two spots in the draft?Wouldn't it be better for us to get some playoff experience in exchange for drafting one spot lower? We probably have the assets to trade up in the draft if we really like a certain player.So what am I missing? Don't say the lottery because it's not like we'll end up with a to 10 pick anyways. People are cooling down on this draft compared to 6 months ago.

I'll take my chances in the lottery than getting absolutely embarrassed on national tv when the 1 seed destroys us.

• Premium Member

What's the difference really in being the 8 seed and being the best team in the lottery? One or two spots in the draft? Wouldn't it be better for us to get some playoff experience in exchange for drafting one spot lower? We probably have the assets to trade up in the draft if we really like a certain player.So what am I missing? Don't say the lottery because it's not like we'll end up with a to 10 pick anyways. People are cooling down on this draft compared to 6 months ago.

With three or four Western non-playoff teams having a better record, the difference can be significant. And I've seen no indication that people are "cooling" on this years draft. There's a reason why storied franchises like the Lakers and Celtics among many others have been and continue to tank until the end of the season. Edited by Jody23

You would still have the same number of playoff games. All the East Execs right now would be wary of this while all the West Execs would be all over it -- actually, I say that but Atlanta's owners might be all over it this year so we wouldn't face the possibility of getting either the #15 pick or the #11 pick or something similar. Commish is supposed to make the call in these types of "zero sum" scenarios in the best interests of the long-term revenues, the fans, and the sport. Ultimately, it would probably take convincing a good number of East owners that they would make more money over the long-term by putting the best 16 teams in the playoffs.

Well except for missing out on the East Coast TV dollars that would be missed. If your "best teams" scenario was the case, you risk having many (most) games of interest starting at 10pm. Good luck with that for the advertising money. And good luck getting people to tune in for Spurs/Nets.

Another issue then is giving the Commissioner veto rights over playoff teams. No owner in their right mind would allow this. "best interests of the league" is great in theory, but no team owner would ever think that way. It would also affect free agency, etc. It's just not realistic. At that point, just let the fans vote for the playoff teams.

A "de-conferencing" would eliminate Charlotte and Atlanta. Phoenix and Minny would be the two teams added in. Minny has 2 more wins than Charlotte.

No owner in the East will agree to that.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Another issue then is giving the Commissioner veto rights over playoff teams. No owner in their right mind would allow this. "best interests of the league" is great in theory, but no team owner would ever think that way. It would also affect free agency, etc. It's just not realistic. At that point, just let the fans vote for the playoff teams.

Nobody was talking about giving the Commish veto rights over playoff teams. The discussion was putting the best 16 NBA playoff teams in the playoffs by virtue of them winning the most games. That isn't subjective or subject to abuse.

Your point on losing viewers when there is an extreme tilt towards the East or West coast is well taken, though.