• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lou Williams....2 consecutive DNP-Coach's Decision

The last three games, Lou has played a total of 5 minutes - 2 DNP's. Is the Lou at PG experiment finally over?

Dennis has been playing more minutes - 23, 19 and 13 minutes.

I guess it's development time for Dennis. In those 3 games he has had 2 turnovers. If he can get his unforced turnovers down I will be happy.

It's funny that everyone is saying the season is over when we're still in the playoffs... Yes, I'm the eternal optimist.

LOL - well put it this way then - We have to prepare Dennis and the younguns for the playoffs.

• Moderators

LOL - well put it this way then - We have to prepare Dennis and the younguns for the playoffs.

If we are preparing them for the playoffs then they'll need more practice sitting, towel waving, looking glum at the end and don't forget learning not to watch the kiss the cam.

• Like 2

I'm in favor of uncle Lou sitting and Dennis playing. Lou is not in our long term plans obviously so why play him. Heck, he may not last on our roster past June.

• Admin

Lou has been a detriment when he is out there. He can't play pg and can't defend shooting guards and after his injury his explosiveness has left him and so he doesn't drive to the basket anymore. There is no reason to play him. I would rather Cartier Martin be on the floor then Lou.

I am glad Dennis is getting some minutes. This is a great way for him to learn.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Lou Williams was arguably one of the few marquee names the Atlanta Hawks were going to have on their squad this season. After missing the start of the season while recovering from a torn ACL, Williams played a big part in keeping the Hawks afloat in the Eastern Conference standings.

But lately Williams has seen his minutes decrease, to the point of being a coach’s scratch in a 111-97 loss to the Golden State Warriors on Friday. Lou says there are no health issues keeping him from playing, and it was just the coach’s choice to sit him the last two games.

Some are wondering if there is an issue that is keeping Williams sitting on the bench – health or otherwise.

Hawks head coach Mike Budenholzer says no.

“All year we’ve been working on different groups that can help us,” Budenholzer told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “Lou has done a ton of good things and he has helped us through the year. Tonight, we gave some other guys some minutes and some opportunities. Playing a little bit bigger is important to us. But Lou has been very good for us all year. It’s one of the hardest parts about coaching. You can’t play everybody.”

Color us crazy, but it seems that even wanting to go big doesn’t explain leaving one of your best scorers sitting on the bench when you are mired in the middle of a five-game losing streak, and have lost 14 of the last 15 games.

The Hawks are currently clinging to the final playoff spot in the East, and will need to get themselves back on track if they hope to make their way to the postseason. Sitting Williams 10 ppg, 1.0 rpg and 3.6 apg might not be the best path to get there.

http://fansided.com/2014/03/08/lou-williams-role-atlanta-hawks-decreasing/#!zdJZA

The Hawks are currently clinging to the final playoff spot in the East, and will need to get themselves back on track if they hope to make their way to the postseason. Sitting Williams 10 ppg, 1.0 rpg and 3.6 apg might not be the best path to get there.

Posted Image

"He don't know us very well, do he?"

• Like 2

• Moderators

Maybe that's why Lou has been sitting last two games. His play has been improving lately... He played only five minutes in the Portland game and even knowing his defense is almost non-existent, he still is one of our better scorers. The seven games before the Portland game: 3/2 @ PHX - 25 min, 15 pts, 42.9% shooting, 7-8 FT, 3 asts, -222/26 @ BOS - 32 min, 13 pts, 38.5 % shooting, 2-4 FT, 4 asts, -142/25 vs. CHI - 26 min, 12 pts, 40.0% shooting, 2-2 FT, 1 asts, -72/22 vs. NY - 30 min, 14 pts, 25% shooting, 5-6 FT, 7 asts, 9 rebs, +182/21 @ DET - 29 min, 15 pts, 41.7% shooting, 2-2, 8 asts, -62/19 vs. WSH - 31 min, 14 pts, 33.3% shooting, 7-9 FT, 2 asts, -172/18 @ IND - 30 min, 18 pts, 66.6% shooting, 4-4 FT, 3 asts, -7Then again, Ferry and Bud are advanced stats guys, so those +/- numbers maybe what has Lou riding the pine. I could see Lou and Jenkins getting packaged up to a team that needs shooting and a 6th man for a guy in the offseason.

Good. I hated seeing Dennis ride the bench. Regardless if he turns out to be good or not. I wanna see what he has. His ugly ass jumpshot on the other hand I could go without lol

Edited by Cwell
  • Like 1

Did some research and found out that Lou's DNPs has to do more with his defensive problems and than his offense.

Remember when Bud's experiment to play lou exclusively at backup PG? Well it was an attempt to try to hide him defensively against the bigger guards.

When I was watching the lakers vs OKC on ESPN yesterday I saw that since the all star break we were along with the lakers have been the worst defensive team in the league.

Since the all star break our defensive rating is 113.0 which is tied with the lakers as the worst defense in the league.

http://stats.nba.com/leagueTeamGeneral.html?MeasureType=Advanced&PerMode=Totals&sortField=DEF_RATING&sortOrder=ASC&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=30&filters=&DateFrom=02%2F16%2F2014

Also I saw this article in the Hawks newsfeed that shows since Feb lou has been a HUGE NET NEGATIVE

Is it the injury or is it the system? Regardless of why, the fact remains that the Hawks are a worse team with Williams on the floor. Since the beginning of February, Atlanta has played 14 games. In those 14 games, Williams has had a negative plus-minus rating in 13 of the 14. His last three games he has had a plus-minus rating of -14, -22 and -10 respectively.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/atlanta_hawks_are_better_with_lou_williams_on_the_bench/15979981

So we cant just look at his raw numbers and believe he hasnt been detrimental to our team.