• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - RAPTORS

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

I didn't see the game and i'm confident that i never said teague was better than lowry. But since i've been a defender of teague i would say that last week when teague got the best of lowry there was a lot of 'you can't judge who's better by one game'. And now after this one game the actual quote is 'i guess we can put to rest who is better between teague and lowry'. So i guess the moral is that you can judge by one game if it helps make your case?

Even 3 games isn't a relevant sample size. However we have 60+ games this season and multiple years of data that are more instructive.

I agree you can't make a decision based on 1 game, but I believe so far between them at least this year Lowry has won 2 out of the 3 matchups.

@TheNorthCydeRises it looks like there's a flaw in your hoopstats W-L thing as it has Teague winning this game, but against Vasquez because he played 1 more minute than Lowry did.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/atlanta-hawks/players/jeff-teague/profile/14/1/14

Flaw? What flaw?

Grevis played 28 minutes. Lowry played 27 minutes.

Grevis > Lowry in minutes = Grevis is Teague's counterpart in that game.

But Lowry got the credit for the win vs Teague, because Teague logged 35 minutes and no other Hawk PG approached 25 minutes.

Lowry > Teague

Most backup PGs do not play more than the starting PG, unless there's something wrong with the starter that game ( injury, poor play by the starter, great play by the backup, foul trouble, etc . . )

In Lowry's case, he really wasn't having a good game until that 4th quarter. He was actually playing like azz. That's why Grevis was logging all of those minutes in those first 3 quarters in the first place.

And in fairness to Teague, Toronto made their run at the start of the 4th with Lowry going up against Dennis and Lou, with Teague on the bench. Of course, Lowry kept it going at the end up the game and outplayed Teague in that final stretch.

The stat is what it is. In the game in which the Hawks won, Lowry played 41 minutes. Teague played 40 minutes. And Teague won the matchup.

All hail Teague . . . 58% of the time.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 2

Flaw? What flaw?

Grevis played 28 minutes. Lowry played 27 minutes.

Grevis > Lowry in minutes = Grevis is Teague's counterpart in that game.

But Lowry got the credit for the win vs Teague, because Teague logged 35 minutes and no other Hawk PG approached 25 minutes.

Lowry > Teague

Most backup PGs do not play more than the starting PG, unless there's something wrong with the starter that game ( injury, poor play by the starter, great play by the backup, foul trouble, etc . . )

In Lowry's case, he really wasn't having a good game until that 4th quarter. He was actually playing like azz. That's why Grevis was logging all of those minutes in those first 3 quarters in the first place.

And in fairness to Teague, Toronto made their run at the start of the 4th with Lowry going up against Dennis and Lou, with Teague on the bench. Of course, Lowry kept it going at the end up the game and outplayed Teague in that final stretch.

The stat is what it is. In the game in which the Hawks won, Lowry played 41 minutes. Teague played 40 minutes. And Teague won the matchup.

All hail Teague . . . 58% of the time.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic about it not being a flaw. Unless you're saying Teague played all those minutes against Grevis, which is obviously not the case. For the stat to be accurate it needs to be based 100% on the minutes that player A plays vs player B and that's obviously not the case here.

• Moderators

Not sure if you are being sarcastic about it not being a flaw. Unless you're saying Teague played all those minutes against Grevis, which is obviously not the case. For the stat to be accurate it needs to be based 100% on the minutes that player A plays vs player B and that's obviously not the case here.

I don't think that's the case in any of the games right? Plus does it even take into account who's guarding who?

I don't think that's the case in any of the games right? Plus does it even take into account who's guarding who?

Yeah I'm sure it's probably not the case but I'd bet in the majority of instances if you are comparing starter vs starter that it will work out. It's outliers like this where our starting PG plays the most PG minutes for us and a backup PG plays the most PG minutes for them where it gets skewed. Without looking on a game by game basis to verify the matchupes it really makes these W-L profiles questionable.

• Moderators

Why fixate on this particular game when you have an entire season's worth of data to compare Lowry and Teague and multiple years of data if you want to go back further?

Lowry is clearly having the better season and is the best player on the #4 seed in the East while Teague is the #2-5 (I think you can make arguments for each of these slots but he is clearly behind Millsap this year) player on the #8 seed in the East.

Edited by AHF