• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Timberwolves

lethalweapon3

What a waste of time:

"A Brazilian native whose spent the last four years in Spain, Nogueira is a reserve center in the ACB. He averaged five points, 3.5 rebounds and one block on 66-percent shooting this season. At 7'0 and 210 pounds with a 7'6 wingspan, he has the length and athleticism to protect the rim in the NBA. That's why he's been on NBA radar screens since he was 17."

@Dolfan23 So on a similar note, if we miss the playoffs and end up with the 10th pick and Ennis from Syracuse is available, do we draft him considering we have Schröder? Or do we go with another player who isn't a pg like a sg or sf even though Ennis would be the best player available at that pick?

Man, I still believe in Ferry but I hope I start seeing some positive results from his moves. Smh.

• Premium Member

The Bebe pick was a classic "I'm smarter than you move". I'm sure we'll see more and more of that from Dan Ferry. Who was the last lightly-skilled, 7', 210-220lb center to do anything in the league? His ceiling is Brendan Wright.

I still believe the option to stash was a big factor in drafting both Dennis and BeBe. Had Ferry been successful in getting Paul and Dwight, he would have likely stashed both to have more money to fill out the roster.

This is why I won't be surprised when Al walks as a free agent. He has to be tired of this.

If we dont approach towards contender status by the time he is a free agent. I think he will most definitely walk as a free agent to look for a better winning situation.

• Premium Member

Agree that the possibility to stash was the draw. If he thought he was gonna land Paul and Dwight based on the poor effort they put forth then his arrogance is more out of control than I already suspect it is.

And don't be suprised if he does the same thing in this draft.

If Ferry drafts a player to stash him - I will be highly annoyed. We need some talent on this team for next season. A player thta can hit the ground running.

• Moderators

In fairness to Ferry, there was a big upside to stashing last year because you could sign a couple of max free agents - including the possibility of two superstars wanting to team up. We don't have the cap space to make stashing better than a rookie who can immediately contribute on the floor.

• Premium Member

Let's bring some honesty into the thread. We picked Bebe over Dieng because we needed a player who we could stash overseas. Remember the Howard, CP3 dream. Well, in order to make that work, we needed a player who wouldn't be on the book because we're cheap.

• Premium Member

In fairness to Ferry, there was a big upside to stashing last year because you could sign a couple of max free agents - including the possibility of two superstars wanting to team up. We don't have the cap space to make stashing better than a rookie who can immediately contribute on the floor.

My only question about that is did Ferry pay any attention to all the information being put out for months (much of it from Howard's camp) that Howard had no interest in playing in Atlanta?

• Moderators

Let's bring some honesty into the thread. We picked Bebe over Dieng because we needed a player who we could stash overseas. Remember the Howard, CP3 dream. Well, in order to make that work, we needed a player who wouldn't be on the book because we're cheap.

Yeah i think that dream was dead by the draft. But I think the point may be right. We had a lot of signings to make.

My only question about that is did Ferry pay any attention to all the information being put out for months (much of it from Howard's camp) that Howard had no interest in playing in Atlanta?

I never thought that D12 was going to play for the Hawks.

Whatever Howard's camp was putting out the fact remains that DF DID get a face to face meeting meeting with Dwight. He had to do his due diligence, it would have been worse if he made no attempt at all.

• Premium Member

I never thought that D12 was going to play for the Hawks.

Whatever Howard's camp was putting out the fact remains that DF DID get a face to face meeting meeting with Dwight. He had to do his due diligence, it would have been worse if he made no attempt at all.

Very true. It just seems risky to waste your first rounders on a stash strategy when everyone knew the Hawks chances of getting Dwight were none and none.

Very true. It just seems risky to waste your first rounders on a stash strategy when everyone knew the Hawks chances of getting Dwight were none and none.

For one there's zero risk at all in having someone else develop your prospect on their own dime and you bring him over when he's more ready to contribute at the NBA level. Bebe is not Mirotic where he could easily outearn a NBA rookie salary scale contract by staying or Fran Vasquez who personally and had his camp put out that he had no intention of coming over. People truly and deeply are overselling the "risks" of the strategy.

Secondly, plenty on even this board particularly are thoroughly convinced that Ferry didn't do ENOUGH to entice Dwight or Paul to come to Atlanta, imagine how much worse their ravings would be if he didn't even put the team in a position to make that possible.

This board is so schizophrenic. People complain that the team needs a superstar but then complain when the GM attempts to pursue one through free agency. They state the only hope Atlanta has of getting a star is through the draft but then complain that Ferry took a higher potential player over a 23 year old college junior.

Bebe vs Dieng is like the homeless man's debate of Dwight vs. Okafor. Orlando selecting the raw skinny kid out of high school over the decorated college upperclassman champion was so egregious that their superstar demanded a trade. The Magic were looking like fools when Okafor won Rookie of the Year but how exactly did that selection look 3 years later? Patience, folks.

• Like 3

Mace, that was some ownage and I couldn't have said it better myself.

I also don't understand the need to select a rookie who can contribute "now" and hit the ground running. We're not contenders, and it's a ROOKIE. We should pick whoever we feel will be the best player down the line. If Saric of Hezonja (if he declares) slips to us and we feel he'll be the best player available (I think both will be good players), then we should select them even if we have to stash them for a few years. Pekovic, for example, went in the second round and went overseas. I bet plenty of teams wish they could go back and pick him earlier.

For one there's zero risk at all in having someone else develop your prospect on their own dime and you bring him over when he's more ready to contribute at the NBA level. Bebe is not Mirotic where he could easily outearn a NBA rookie salary scale contract by staying or Fran Vasquez who personally and had his camp put out that he had no intention of coming over. People truly and deeply are overselling the "risks" of the strategy.

Secondly, plenty on even this board particularly are thoroughly convinced that Ferry didn't do ENOUGH to entice Dwight or Paul to come to Atlanta, imagine how much worse their ravings would be if he didn't even put the team in a position to make that possible.

This board is so schizophrenic. People complain that the team needs a superstar but then complain when the GM attempts to pursue one through free agency. They state the only hope Atlanta has of getting a star is through the draft but then complain that Ferry took a higher potential player over a 23 year old college junior.

Bebe vs Dieng is like the homeless man's debate of Dwight vs. Okafor. Orlando selecting the raw skinny kid out of high school over the decorated college upperclassman champion was so egregious that their superstar demanded a trade. The Magic were looking like fools when Okafor won Rookie of the Year but how exactly did that selection look 3 years later? Patience, folks.

I agree it is way too early to evaluate Bebe. Although I definitely wanted Dieng at the time, I am willing to wait a couple of years before judging. But I have to admit I haven't heard any Bebe news this year that made me excited.

• Moderators

I liked both our picks - especially Schröder - on talent. I had not problem with those picks at all. Bebe has started off as poorly as possible while Dieng has been excellent so far so I wouldn't hesitate to revise that view some but it is still pretty early still. No reason to write either of our 2013 picks off just yet.

• Like 2

I liked both our picks - especially Schröder - on talent. I had not problem with those picks at all. Bebe has started off as poorly as possible while Dieng has been excellent so far so I wouldn't hesitate to revise that view some but it is still pretty early still. No reason to write either of our 2013 picks off just yet.

Agreed. Not sure if you guys remember the summer league but Bebe is an active long lean shot blocker type of guy. I think many if us will be pleasantly pleased with his play.