• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Final Thoughts on the Hawks Regular Season

MrMeltdown

My favorite beer is Heinekens, but I love me some Coach Bud. The refs even love him. He roasts their azzes and rarely ever gets t'd up. They asked him whats the biggest adjustment from assisting to head coaching, he basically said "he hates the media" in coach-speak (Pop taught him well) and is always talking about getting better even after we blow somebody out.

Sap is better than I ever thought and every team should have a "Who the hell is Mike Scott?!"

Not sure who's fault it is, but extremely disappointed Shredder didn't get his feet under him.

All in all, I'm extremely optimistic about the future. The ball movement was beautiful.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

Even though Dennis averaged more minutes per game during his rookie campaign Teague played in more games and got more minutes overall. Not sure it was anyone's fault other than maybe Mack being better and more ready than Dennis is currently.

I can't wait to see what we do in the Playoffs. I can't wait to see what moves Ferry makes in the off-season between the draft and free agency. And I especially can't wait to see a healthy team with a year of experience with Coach Bud next year.

I have full confidence in the direction we're heading right now. I just wish I could fast forward time to see the results!

• Like 1

I think everyone was around a 45-win prediction in the preseason. To just be 7 off that pace with no Al for basically the whole season, coupled with Kyle and Pero missing a few weeks, I'd say the team did damn well. 2nd in assists and dead-middle in points scored and allowed aint too shabby for an Eastern Conference Team with the league's 4th lowest payroll.

I also thought Kyle's shooting would drop off: I won't doubt him next year. .472 from three and his second straight of year being lumped together with LeBron and KD among non-centers who play 30+ minutes in True Shooting is nothing short of amazing. Easily one of my favorite Hawks of All-Time.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Extremely impressed w/ the coaching and ball movement.

At times this year the roster looked like something you'd see @ 11am on a Saturday on NBA TV, but still they were able to somehow compete w/ and even beat top teams in the league.

A lot of injuries but they persevered.

We just need some better talent. Interested to see who we bring in this summer.

Edited by Jmartvol

We've got a rookie coach with a lot of playoff experience.

We have a plan and we pretty much stick to the plan, execute

it most of the time as it should be.

Hawks have a lot of players capable of hitting the three pointer

and when they fall, this team is hard to beat.

When they don't "forget" they can and do play some pretty good

defense. They have cut down, but not eliminated, their sleepwalk

mode.

Bud and his staff have discovered what the very best part of each

player's talent and has planned things so that the team can take

full advantage of what they are capable of.

All in all, very pleased with what we have and what they have accomplished

and looking forward to the playoffs now and what we have coming for next

season, including our first round rookie center who should be here and

get playing time, but not as a starter yet.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

• Like 1

1. Sucks that Al got injured

2. Millsap was a HIGE surprise, I knew he could score and had a decent game. What surprised me were the monster dunks, 3 point shooting Nd his blocked shots.

3. Kyle and his streak

4. DMC offense was a BIG surprise - knew he'd be an energy guy and play defense. He still can run and/or finish a fast break.

5. Teague had an inconsistent season, he has mastered the floater and able to take contact and finish in the lane. Fight through those screens Jeffy. The good thing is he played his best ball when it mattered most - helping the team secure a playoff spot and going into the playoffs. Here's to hoping he keeps it going.

6. The BENCH overall was decent for the most part. The many injuries (in Feb) forced some of these guys to play out of there spots and it showed.

7. Pero - I thought he would only be good for 6 fouls, boy was I wrong. Great TEAM and HELP defender.

8. Dennis/Mack - Dennis didn't see the floor as much as I would have liked, a combination of TOO MANY turnovers and Mack playing well. Dennis did get better regarding the turnovers late in the season.

9. Scott - Who the **** us Mile Scott? Was the question being asked all around the NBA. Biggest jump in improvement, his 3 ball was good though sometimes he settled for it too much. Athleticly he surprised me most, running and dunking - wow. Defense still needs work.

10. The BRANDED one - this is the shocker, I thought EB would be the locker room guy playing spot minutes for 6 fouls. Wrong, wrong, wrong - defense, rebounding and the freethrow line shot was $$$. Oh how I wish he was younger.

11. Lou - it was unfortunate for him that he was battling back from injury, would have liked to see the 'come off the bench and score get to the line Lou' it's remains to be seen if he can work more effectively in Bud's offense.

12. MonStar Moose - I saw a few things I liked from him. I knew he had a face up jumper, but I saw him with a little post up turn around shot. He needs NBA seasoning - wonder how much more he would be improved if he was here the entire season.

13. Cartier - you came, you left and you came back - you did what you were supposed to.

14. Ayón - bye, bring over Bebe

15. Impressed with Bud and the coaching staff - needs work on getting and defending last second buzzer beaters and in bounding the ball.

• Moderators

If you look back Horford called the Mike Scott arrival in pre-season. He said he had improved more than anyone.

Horford going down was awful. I was as excited about the hawks as anytime since the mookie-smitty-grant long days. But the guys continued to play well without him until more injuries came. That losing streak was really long.

I just don't see how you don't call this season a success. Maybe i'm drinking the Kool Aid (and don't know the flavor) but it really seems like we have laid a foundation. We know what's coming next year. More great execution with hopefully more talent.

• Like 1

Pretty much as expected.

I thought they'd be around a .500 team between the 6th - 8th seed.

The team was better than I expected on offense, but was horrific at times on defense.

I think Dennis is a borderline bust, because the one thing he was supposed to do well coming into the league ( play defense ) . . he really can't do well. He may have to add 20 lbs to his frame in order to be an effective NBA player.

Props to Millsap for keeping this team afloat when Horford went down.

Teague was up and down, but I'm satisfied with him overall.

Korver''s lights out shooting was a joy to watch. Just wished he wasn't so easily shut down at times.

Carroll is the unsung hero of this season. He was by far our most important defensive player, and he improved his offense.

And Bud is a legit coach. No doubts about him. I just have doubts about the GM.

But I expected this team to play like a .500 team, and they pretty much did.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 2

If you look back Horford called the Mike Scott arrival in pre-season. He said he had improved more than anyone.

Horford going down was awful. I was as excited about the hawks as anytime since the mookie-smitty-grant long days. But the guys continued to play well without him until more injuries came. That losing streak was really long.

I just don't see how you don't call this season a success. Maybe i'm drinking the Kool Aid (and don't know the flavor) but it really seems like we have laid a foundation. We know what's coming next year. More great execution with hopefully more talent.

This season is definitely not a success. It wasn't a failure, but calling it a success means that it was good. The only way this season will be a success, is if this team really pushes the Pacers in 6 or 7 games in the playoffs

We didn't do anything this season, that hasn't been accomplished in seasons' past. People can use code words like "culture" and "foundation", but can't name anything specific that will indicate how this season will contribute to the success of the Hawks next season . . or 2 seasons from now.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I was probably the most excited fan in Hawksquawk about the Millsap signing, and I'm glad he's an all-star. Didn't expect Carroll playing this well, I really like his game. Great finding.

The ball moves a lot, but sometimes it moves just a little too much. Next year will be even better.

Bud is hopefully our coach of the decade. Teague could be an all-star if he wanted to. Money Scott deserves some money. Great development. Mack is getting on my nerves, but he had a more than OK season. Kyle is Kyle. Pero should shoot one-leggers only. Brand is AMAZING. Schröder needs playing time. At first I thought Muscala didn't belong, but his game has changed my opinion. the boy can really shoot. I was very disappointed with Lou, but if he can play like the few past games in the playoffs, it would be great.

And we should draft a Bebe-type of center. Oh, wait!

Danny Ferry has got it right.

Edited by BrazilianHawk
  • Like 2

• Moderators

This season is definitely not a success. It wasn't a failure, but calling it a success means that it was good. The only way this season will be a success, is if this team really pushes the Pacers in 6 or 7 games in the playoffs

We didn't do anything this season, that hasn't been accomplished in seasons' past. People can use code words like "culture" and "foundation", but can't name anything specific that will indicate how this season will contribute to the success of the Hawks next season . . or 2 seasons from now.

That seems contradictory. What will be different about this team if we push the Pacers to 6 or 7 games? It'll still be the same players, same coach, same organization so why would a 6 game 1st round loss be a success and a 5 game 1st round loss be failure?

I think you're missing the boat if you think this season resembles any of the last 4 or 5. Previously we had a team that lost almost every big game, had no ability or willingness in the offseason to make any changes, and played uninspired ball. What will contribute to our success is that every player in the league knows that Bud knows what he is doing and they know that he will be the coach for the foreseeable future. We haven't had that in years. Also when free agents, and i'm talking about all of them not superstars, make a list of teams with money to pay them we will be one of the few playoff teams on that list. That's big. We aren't just able to sign from the scrap heap of Mcgrady's and Joe smith's anymore.

That seems contradictory. What will be different about this team if we push the Pacers to 6 or 7 games? It'll still be the same players, same coach, same organization so why would a 6 game 1st round loss be a success and a 5 game 1st round loss be failure?

I think you're missing the boat if you think this season resembles any of the last 4 or 5. Previously we had a team that lost almost every big game, had no ability or willingness in the offseason to make any changes, and played uninspired ball. What will contribute to our success is that every player in the league knows that Bud knows what he is doing and they know that he will be the coach for the foreseeable future. We haven't had that in years. Also when free agents, and i'm talking about all of them not superstars, make a list of teams with money to pay them we will be one of the few playoff teams on that list. That's big. We aren't just able to sign from the scrap heap of Mcgrady's and Joe smith's anymore.

We'll have to hope for North's peace of mind. Joe getting next-day air mailed outta here left a hole in his heart. He'd much rather he take up half the payroll and get blown out often with Joe laughing on the bench like he did when they got waxed by the Knicks. He'll come around.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

No more Josh Bullshmith...

giphy.gif

It was VERY refreshing to watch us play basketball...but not really a huge surprise. I knew we'd play better ball and I really love these guys. I do a lot of talking about star-power, but my favorite kind of players are what you see on this team right now.

At the same time, I'm just not drinking the Kool-Aid that some of ya'll are sipping on. I won't kid myself about what it takes to contend. The East was weirdly weak. Using that as a measuring stick...I'm not good with a borderline playoff team or even a top 4 seed. If the East gets better, and we're real about it, that's a non-playoff team or at best...a middle seeded finish. We need to stay ahead of the curve. I can't say I'm anxious to see Ferry's plan for that, because I see it already.

On a final note, it's playoff time. So the regular season is solidly behind me. It's going to be fun looking back in a few years though! grin.gif

Edited by Wretch

Last time I checked averages represent what you did for the full year so I think Teague's so-called up and down play has been blown out of proportion. For the season he did what I thought he would do with a healthy Al Horford which is give you 17 and 7 if you round it off. When Al comes back I suspect that 19 and 8 or 9 is very reasonable.

Mike Scott and Brand were the good surprises to me. I knew Millsap was good but I am not in love with what I saw from him in several games after Horford went down. Antić being a contributor was also huge.