• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Final Thoughts on the Hawks Regular Season

MrMeltdown

• Premium Member

No matter the injuries this team never quit!!!! That can be attributed to Coach Bud.

Dennis wasn't the player most thought he would be in his rookie season and I would have like to see a few more "flashes" out of him.

Kinda disappointed at the deadline, I believe the GM could have done something.

We really need a big and a sg this offseason.

• Like 1

• Moderators

No matter the injuries this team never quit!!!! That can be attributed to Coach Bud.

Dennis wasn't the player most thought he would be in his rookie season and I would have like to see a few more "flashes" out of him.

Kinda disappointed at the deadline, I believe the GM could have done something.

We really need a big and a sg this offseason.

We got Antawn Jamison, $534, and 50 scratch and win tickets. What more do you want? Hawks fans. Never satisfied.

• Like 1

I'm anxious to see how Bud does as the main man in the playoffs. He's been there plenty of times, but not in the HC chair. I think he has the ability to take this team to the next level in the playoffs; IE play 'over their heads' for a series. Unlike any of our previous coaches.

• Premium Member

My final thoughts... I will take this piece by piece:

1. Danny Ferry = D. He got us players but we blew a lot of potential.

2. Coach Bud = A-. He did very well with the pieces he had. However, I'm concerned about his "Doghouse".

3. Millsap = A-. He's hard to watch constantly but he does a very good job.

4. Teague = B+. He has got to limit the turnovers but he has turned the corner nicely from what he was.

5. Korver = A-. If only he could defend better. Matt Damon's brother would be awesome with just a little defense.

6. DMC = A. Solid A. Great defense. Great energy. Hell, when he started draining threes I didn't know what to say. This guy has a good sense of who he is and is yet fearless.

7. Shelvin = B. I can't give him much more or much less because he stepped it up.

8. Dennis = C+. Started out bad but has worked his way into coaches good graces.

9. Scott = B-. Where's the defense? Does he even care about Defense?1

10. Antić = B+. Surprise, Surprise. Honestly, I think he's the best BU C for this offense. When Horf gets back, we will be better than sloppy Spurs East.

11. Brand = C+. Your mind is willing but your flesh is weak. Nobody can stop age.

12. Lou = D+. I'm hoping that it's just coming back from injury and that you show up big in the playoffs. But it seems that the game doesn't fit you here.

Everbody Else... D or F.

In the absence of Horf, a lot of guys stepped in.. not necessarily up. Our pick and pop specially is absolutely neccessary for our offense to work. Yet without him, we're in the playoffs again and because of the teams in the playoffs and good coaching, we have a chance. You say we take away Smoove and give you Sap... I would have gave you the helltothenawl 3-4 years ago.. but now, it's easy to see why Sap easily got Allstar and smoove always got snubbed. Would I have rather tanked. Yeah. I think that tanking would have gotten us a great player and would have been a good payoff for this season. For now, I just have to hope that we can win in the playoffs.

• Like 1

I would say to be specific we need a rebounding big a rim protecting big and a natural born scorer that can get you 20 a night.

Horford is an elite rebounder and Bebe is an elite shot blocker. Both available for us next year.

We do need scoring wings though I will agree. Draft one and sign one in the offseason and see how we look. I expect Ferry to stock up on vet min shooters this offseason as we need more for this offense IMO. If we didn't have Korver we would have been a mess majority of this season shooting wise, even though DMC and Teague really improved their shot the second half of the season. This allows Sap to focus more on his bread and butter: attacking the rim. He doesn't have to be a shooter it can be a luxury for us. Diesel mentioned Patty Mills.... this is not a bad idea. He passes the metrics test, knows our system and can be a huge upgrade over Mack/Dennis.

• Like 1

This gives a good breakdown of our win/loss record due to injury after Al.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/4/18/5627574/ridiculed-hawks-sleeping-giant-in-playoffs

The findings of this research are revelatory. The Hawks record after Horford went out for the season was 22-31. When fully healthy for the entire season they were 34-14 (.708). When fully healthy after the Horford injury the Hawks went 16-7 (.696). Even more impressively, since January 18 when fully healthy (without Horford) the Hawks were red hot with a record of 15-4 (.789).

The reason for the Hawks overall dismal record was a stretch between February 4 and March 29. In this period, the Hawks lost 15 of 16 games, won five in a row, and then dropped the next six games (6-22, .214). The five game win streak took place when they were healthy. Their only two losses, during this stretch, when healthy immediately preceded the five wins and came after eight out of nine games when they had at least two unavailable players.

The primary variable in whether the Hawks won or loss was number of injuries. After the Horford injury, when the Hawks had at least two starters unavailable their record was 1-12. In the same period when they had one starter unavailable they had a record of 21-19. Again, when healthy during this period, they won 15 out of 19 games.

I remember there was a big discussion about some analysts ranking us 22nd at the beginning of the year. Several people agreed with that and were being snarky to people predicting an easy playoff berth. So, ha! We managed 18th and the playoffs all without our best player.

No more Josh Bullshmith...

giphy.gif

It was VERY refreshing to watch us play basketball...but not really a huge surprise. I knew we'd play better ball and I really love these guys. I do a lot of talking about star-power, but my favorite kind of players are what you see on this team right now.

At the same time, I'm just not drinking the Kool-Aid that some of ya'll are sipping on. I won't kid myself about what it takes to contend. The East was weirdly weak. Using that as a measuring stick...I'm not good with a borderline playoff team or even a top 4 seed. If the East gets better, and we're real about it, that's a non-playoff team or at best...a middle seeded finish. We need to stay ahead of the curve. I can't say I'm anxious to see Ferry's plan for that, because I see it already.

On a final note, it's playoff time. So the regular season is solidly behind me. It's going to be fun looking back in a few years though! grin.gif

@Wretch

Watching the Spurs play well without Duncan this year has opened my eyes to the potential of this system.

And before people bring up the "Tim Duncan is a superstar" argument..... Is this 37 year old version of Duncan REALLY that much better than Al Horford or even Paul Millsap?

The Spurs were a missed miracle 3 from Ray Allen away from winning the title last year and they have a good chance to win this year (went 62-20 while resting their Big 3).

The differences between the Hawks and the Spurs is efficiency. Offensively and Defensively. Our system this year was ran by inefficient shooters that couldn't play defense at a Spurs level, to keep it simple and plain. The Spurs use every possession like it is their last. They also have the most accurate and consistent shooters in the NBA (Beli, Bonner, Mills, Green, Diaw, Kawhi, Manu). If it wasn't for Kyle our shooting would be even worse then it is now.

That needs to be our goal this offseason. Draft/Sign efficient players; both offensively and defensively. And then the NBA can look at us mirroring the Spurs not only in scheme, but in the win column.

• Like 2

I enjoyed this season. My favorite Mike Scott blossomed. I think Bud is already top ten for Hawks coaches. Horf before injury was a top 20 guy. Sap was a healing salve to the basketball wounds Josh created. Korver gets my team MVP. Teague is no longer hated by me. I accept him for what he is. If Pero was younger I might consider him the most likely to succeed , because his skill set is so valuable. DMC "The King at stops..there is no higher...sucker players they all get tired." Lol. Lou wasn't Lou until the end...when it counted. Dennis needs time. Muscala needs time. Ferry...I'm with him. The ASG seems to be getting it. Koon I think will bring the Arthur Blank effect and connect with the people.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Wretch

Watching the Spurs play well without Duncan this year has opened my eyes to the potential of this system.

And before people bring up the "Tim Duncan is a superstar" argument..... Is this 37 year old version of Duncan REALLY that much better than Al Horford or even Paul Millsap?

The Spurs were a missed miracle 3 from Ray Allen away from winning the title last year and they have a good chance to win this year (went 62-20 while resting their Big 3).

The differences between the Hawks and the Spurs is efficiency. Offensively and Defensively. Our system this year was ran by inefficient shooters that couldn't play defense at a Spurs level, to keep it simple and plain. The Spurs use every possession like it is their last. They also have the most accurate and consistent shooters in the NBA (Beli, Bonner, Mills, Green, Diaw, Kawhi, Manu). If it wasn't for Kyle our shooting would be even worse then it is now.

That needs to be our goal this offseason. Draft/Sign efficient players; both offensively and defensively. And then the NBA can look at us mirroring the Spurs not only in scheme, but in the win column.

Duncan had the highest total min% on the Squrs this year. That is a dishonest stat you made to say some silly stuff to avoid the fact that we clearly lack a lot of talent.

I enjoyed this season. My favorite Mike Scott blossomed. I think Bud is already top ten for Hawks coaches. Horf before injury was a top 20 guy. Sap was a healing salve to the basketball wounds Josh created. Korver gets my team MVP. Teague is no longer hated by me. I accept him for what he is. If Pero was younger I might consider him the most likely to succeed , because his skill set is so valuable. DMC "The King at stops..there is no higher...sucker players they all get tired." Lol. Lou wasn't Lou until the end...when it counted. Dennis needs time. Muscala needs time. Ferry...I'm with him. The ASG seems to be getting it. Koon I think will bring the Arthur Blank effect and connect with the people.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

Horf been a top 20 guy most of his NBA career. He was playing at a top 10-15 level before his injury.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

This gives a good breakdown of our win/loss record due to injury after Al.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/4/18/5627574/ridiculed-hawks-sleeping-giant-in-playoffs

The findings of this research are revelatory. The Hawks record after Horford went out for the season was 22-31. When fully healthy for the entire season they were 34-14 (.708). When fully healthy after the Horford injury the Hawks went 16-7 (.696). Even more impressively, since January 18 when fully healthy (without Horford) the Hawks were red hot with a record of 15-4 (.789).

The reason for the Hawks overall dismal record was a stretch between February 4 and March 29. In this period, the Hawks lost 15 of 16 games, won five in a row, and then dropped the next six games (6-22, .214). The five game win streak took place when they were healthy. Their only two losses, during this stretch, when healthy immediately preceded the five wins and came after eight out of nine games when they had at least two unavailable players.

The primary variable in whether the Hawks won or loss was number of injuries. After the Horford injury, when the Hawks had at least two starters unavailable their record was 1-12. In the same period when they had one starter unavailable they had a record of 21-19. Again, when healthy during this period, they won 15 out of 19 games.

Just as the thought popped in my head I saw this post. I'm sure there is some super-advanced metric that predicts records for all teams if perfect health is considered. Like have a panel of NBA experts calibrate NBA2K and simulate the season 30,000 times or some sh$t.

I love em both, but no respectable NBA team should start Brand and Mack and still be competitive. I think we'd be second in the East. Indy was pretty healthy all year, the Heat definately wouldnt have a losing record in their last 30 games I believe it was without Wade alternating every game. I think we had the highest offensive ratings against both the Heat and Pacers for the East, but probably the entire league. Again, how people can easily discount Al is beyond me. He would've had an Al Jeff POTM type-month (24/ 11, .580, leading us to a 13-15 and 4 or 5 type of record). That awful February wouldve been cruise control.

It'll be interesting to see how Bud adjusts in a series (I'm sure beautifully), but I'd put money on this team, relatively healthy, against any in the league not named Spurs or Bulls to win a game.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

@Wretch

YES . . . Tim Duncan is.

He's still a better rebounder than both of them. He's a much better defender than both of them. And he's a better offensive player than Millsap.

Back in December when the Hawks were fully healthy, Duncan went for 23 points and 21 rebounds. Then he dang near did it again in late January, going for 17 points, 16 rebounds and 4 blocks.

His game is so fundamentally sound, that he could probably play at a high level for another 3 years, if his body held up.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 2

Duncan had the highest total min% on the Squrs this year. That is a dishonest stat you made to say some silly stuff to avoid the fact that we clearly lack a lot of talent.

Horf been a top 20 guy most of his NBA career. He was playing at a top 10-15 level before his injury.

No he hasn't, and no he wasn't.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I love Horf, Milsap is a good player and I really like coach Bud and the scheme that he runs, but these comparisons to the Spurs are down right silly. If our team ever gets the high level talent to build around, we're in business. Until then...

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1