• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

End of Season Grade from SI - C

http://nba.si.com/2014/04/16/nba-regular-season-grades/?eref=sihp

Atlanta Hawks Final Grade: C | Midseason Grade: B+

37-44, No. 8 in the East | Midseason record: 22-19, No. 3 in the East

Congratulations, you’re not Detroit! That’s really the best way to frame Atlanta’s year, what with a season-ending pectoral injury to two-time All-Star center Al Horford in late December proving to be a fatal blow to a roster in transition. The Hawks didn’t swallow up a coach, as the Pistons did, and they showed more than a few flashes of disciplined, systematic, functional basketball, which the Pistons didn’t. The Hawks secured the East’s final playoff spot, which would be the definition of mediocrity if the conference wasn’t so far below par. (Such a performance, by the way, would have also been a dream year for Joe Dumars, who stepped down as Pistons president on Monday.)

On first glance, Atlanta’s ranking of 17th in offensive efficiency (points scored per 100 possessions) and 14th in defensive efficiency (points allowed per 100 possessions) looks uninspiring. There is value, though, in possessing foundational pieces that work together, respond through adversity and have enough heart to win five of six games to clinch a playoff berth after suffering through losing streaks of eight games and six games during the second half of the season.

Indeed, being stuck in the middle isn’t usually a hopeful existence, but Hawks fans do have a few reasons for comfort. If Horford had stayed healthy, Atlanta could have been the best of the East’s second-tier teams. Beyond the promising early-season results, general manager Danny Ferry did well on the big-picture items. He nailed the decision to let free-agent power forward Josh Smith walk and replace him with Paul Millsap, getting a much more helpful player (and a 2014 All-Star) at a fraction of the cost ($19 million over two years instead of $54 million over four). Ferry also wisely matched Milwaukee’s four-year, $32 million offer sheet for point guard Jeff Teague, who has put up solid numbers (16.6 points, 6.7 assists, 17.2 PER) in his first season under coach Mike Budenholzer. Teague looks like a better value than Detroit’s Brandon Jennings, who received the same average annual salary last summer.

Overall, the coach/point guard fit looks solid, and the Teague/Millsap/Horford trio is a complementary, cost-efficient base to build from this summer. With a healthy Horford and the right offseason additions, Atlanta could make a run at 50 victories next season. First, however, the Hawks will get a shot at upsetting the vulnerable Pacers in the first round. That’s not what they might have thought they were heading for before Horford went down, but it could be worse (again: Detroit).

I have no issues with the Grade.

It's not just Al's absence though. That February stretch of 14/15 losses with 8/9 healthy players available was huge (Pero, KK, Millsap, DMC and Teague missing) Elton having to play a couple 40+ minute games.

It was the snow ball effect of having players out of their roles. It's a cumulative effect.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

They were a B- . .C+ in midseason.

The final grade of C is acceptable

In the grand scheme of things, the losses we had post Horford, would've been more than likely losses with Horford. People act like we'd be 10 games better if Horford played though.

We lost 10 games by 5 points or less without Horford. We lost 20 games by 10 points or less. So maybe we would have been 10 games better.

• Like 3

"He nailed the decision to let free-agent power forward Josh Smith walk and replace him with Paul Millsap, getting a much more helpful player (and a 2014 All-Star) at a fraction of the cost ($19 million over two years instead of $54 million over four)"

You can't say this is a financial plus yet. We will need to sign, extend, draft someone the two other years. If that player is Sap, the numbers will be much closer.

Rather have Sap by an old country mile, but didn't like the 2 year deal unless it was to flip him.

Note to Ferry; if you want to improve talent, a basic idea is to sign good players long and mediocre players short.

Its a bit hash a grade IMO. Losing Horford was as big a loss for us player wise as any other team had to suffer; with exception to the Lakers. Losing Gasol, Nash, and Kobe for large parts of the season = instant lottery team.

I honestly think we played above our heads and have a good chance of stealing one in Indy to make it a good playoff series.

I think it's a perfect grade. We're an average team... That's what "C" represents in the education world.

I agree C is average. But without Horford, we should have been below average.

• Premium Member

We lost 10 games by 5 points or less without Horford. We lost 20 games by 10 points or less. So maybe we would have been 10 games better.

I knew we lost a lot of close games but didn't realize it was so many. I really think we would have easily won 10 more games with a healthy Horford. Also as JayBirdHawk said, it wasn't just him but we lost a lot of guys during our losing streaks.

I'll take a C based on our record alone, but I'd give them a B. Rookie coach with a lot of injuries, we still remained competitive. I know we shouldn't be in the playoffs but I would have been happy with this season even if we didn't make it. It's been a while since we have seen the type of good team basketball that we saw this year.

• Like 1

They were a B- . .C+ in midseason.

The final grade of C is acceptable

In the grand scheme of things, the losses we had post Horford, would've been more than likely losses with Horford. People act like we'd be 10 games better if Horford played though.

I think they would have won about 43 games and that is it.