• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Craig Sager Has Leukemia

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

Already posted by the Squawkbot, but I added Pop's classy message to Sager:

Craig Sager, the veteran sideline reporter famous for his outrageous attire, is battling leukemia.
The news was shared via Twitter by his son Craig Sager Jr.

"My Dad's 3-4-week acute leukemia treatment starts tmrw," Sager Jr. tweeted on Thursday night. "Be thinking of him & let's get him back on the sidelines soon."

Sager, a graduate of Northwestern University, has been a fixture on TNT as a key piece of the network's NBA coverage. He's been part of the "NBA on TNT" for 17 seasons.

"Btw we were told he was leukemia free on Tuesday and then they apoligized and hit us with the gut check yesterday," Sager Jr. added.

Sager, who also works as a field reporter on TBS' MLB coverage, famously interviewed Hank Aaron as the Braves legend made his way to home plate after Aaron hit his 715th home run to break Babe Ruth's all-time mark in 1974. He got his start two years before as a reporter for a TV station in Sarasota, Fla.

"Have to say how amazing it feels to see how many people r thinking of my dad and family," Sager's daughter Krista tweeted.

While Turner has not clarified Sager's status for its NBA playoff coverage which starts Saturday, it appears he won't be working.

"We'll be watching lots of basketball together these playoffs," Sager Jr. tweeted. "And it's more time for him to brainstorm some new outfits."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/veteran-nba-tnt-sideline-reporter-craig-sager-battling-leukemia-article-1.1760860

Pop keeps it classy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xMvztr-Wo

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/4/20/5634072/gregg-popovich-sends-message-to-craig-sager-in-interview-with-his-son

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Nearly a year after being diagnosed with leukemia, dapper NBA sideline reporter Craig Sager is returning to the court.

Sager, who has spent nearly 20 years covering the NBA and basketball for Turner Sports and TNT – in Atlanta, had been undergoing cancer treatment.

His son, Craig Sager II, whose byline you may have seen on the AJC and Score Atlanta, announced his father’s return via Twitter.

Whether you’re a Bulls or Thunder fan, it will be worth tuning into TNT March 5 to catch a fashion and basketball icon.

You’ll also be able to catch Sager during the NCAA’s March Madness.

There has been a void in the NBA, great to see Sag's back. He and and Paul George have been missed.

Well Craig Sager has.....:-| Sorry PG...hope you get better but truth be told, I don't miss ya one bit

Depending on the type...Leukemia can be a brutal disease.  My great uncle lost his life to that - and it sapped his bones and was very painful.  He  was once a 6 foot 175 pound WWII veteran (and got heavier post-war) and passed away at about 80 pounds.

Thankfully, while the "L" has not been cured, there are meds that slow the process...and of course...there are better understandings of "pain reducers" for those afflicted.   Oftentimes in the past Doctors would not prescribe heavy doses of morphine to their patients - thinking - at the time - that if they recovered somehow...they may be addicted to morphine.

Last stage "L" is basically an end game - and thank goodness that we now have hospice situations where the folks who are beyond help can at least have their pain eased.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

sad.png