• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I am boycotting the NBA Playoffs until Donald Sterling is removed from the NBA completely

NBASupes

He will eventually be pushed to sell and someone is bound to get a pretty good deal.

I also see the irony of Chris Paul's preseason comments too and have just been waiting for someone to bring it up. Demanding a black coach is very very very similar in nature to what this old racist bigot is being accused of. Am I wrong to see it this way? In some ways I see it as even worse because he said it publicly (knowingly publicly).

• Like 1

• Moderators

You have to think that the rest of the owners and powers that be know who he is. He's a club owner and from what I hear it's an exclusive club with entrance only upon approval. Maybe the NBA has been condoning this kind of sentiment (that becomes behavior) for a long time....

Just remember for every buck they pay an athlete, they rake in A LOT MORE.

Now that this is out in the open and if it's proven authentic, you'd have to think that there would be some legal issues involved. IF true. I hope so. If laws have been broken, it's not only up to the NBA

Argh. Lost my post. Short version is that the NBA is going to be limited in what it can do. Hopefully they pressure him into selling but he will get a huge payday for that so don't expect to see him walk away empty handed. There aren't many legal issues presented by the comments that have been reported.

See the article below which includes the following:

• He can’t force Sterling to sell. Essentially the league constitution says the league can only sell a team out from under an owner if said owner is not meeting his financial obligations (not paying his bills) and that is not an issue. Blake Griffin’s checks are clearing. What’s more, Sterling’s style — with his real estate holdings, with everything — is to buy and keep, not sell.

Maybe the other owners could try to force the issue saying, “We no longer want Sterling as a business partner” legal argument, but the very litigious Sterling likely would fight that. And it would get ugly. Or, uglier. And it would drag the issue out for years.

There has been talk the league could force him to hand over the team to his estranged wife as part of joint property laws… but she is her own piece of work. In some of the housing discrimination cases against Sterling it was learned she posed as a government health inspector to gain access to apartments. She was part of the problem.

• Silver can only fine Sterling up to $1 million. That’s the maximum, according to multiple reports. Sterling is worth $1.9 billion dollars according to Forbes, a $1 million fine to him is about the equivalent of you or I getting a parking ticket. It’s annoying, we don’t want to write the check, but it’s not that steep a hit.

• Suspension — this is the hammer Silver really can wield. He can suspend Sterling from any contact with the team or interacting with the front office, keep him from attending games. This would be the biggest blow — for Sterling games are a social, “kiss the ring” kind of event where the people around him gather to enjoy “his team” and “his games.” He basks in the celebrity of it. Take that away and it is more of a blow than any fine would be.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nbc-yahoo-sports/regarding-donald-sterling--commissioner-s-hands-are-somewhat-tied-161619198-nba.html

One additional thought. California is a duel consent state for recording. I'm just waiting for the legal mercenaries trying to turn this into a legal issue related to who taped Sterling. Legally, I'm not sure the replays of the tape are protected or not.....could use a legal opinion on that. This is going to get messy in more ways than one. I hope today's rumors that Magic Johnson would be open to buying the team are true. It would help this go away much faster.

Not only that, there are no names on the recording. While we can say it is him, proving it in court is another story.

Oh and if he has to sell the team, he'll make over $500 million.

Sterling will win one way or another.

One additional thought. California is a duel consent state for recording. I'm just waiting for the legal mercenaries trying to turn this into a legal issue related to who taped Sterling. Legally, I'm not sure the replays of the tape are protected or not.....could use a legal opinion on that. This is going to get messy in more ways than one. I hope today's rumors that Magic Johnson would be open to buying the team are true. It would help this go away much faster.

She claims that he asked her to record the tapes because he forgets what he says.

• Premium Member

He will eventually be pushed to sell and someone is bound to get a pretty good deal.

I also see the irony of Chris Paul's preseason comments too and have just been waiting for someone to bring it up. Demanding a black coach is very very very similar in nature to what this old racist bigot is being accused of. Am I wrong to see it this way? In some ways I see it as even worse because he said it publicly (knowingly publicly).

Nothing will be said in regards to this or what Barkley said. This is what really gets me..............I agree old man sterling made some racists comments and shouldn't have, but when CP or Barkley says it it's ok.

If folks are so sensitive about this lets cut all the comments out, rappers, players, race baiters, owners, the media, everyone.

Sometimes you just have to take dumbass comments for what they are and move on.

I can remember when Noah and Kobe made remarks that were thought to be demeaning towards homosexuals it seems like they were fined the next day. They didn't go through some long drawn out process to prove rather or not Kobe or Noah said what they were accused of. Now all of a sudden they have to make sure and go to the constitution and all that BS. I can remember how they made up rules to address the way guys like Iverson were dressing. All of that stuff was done so that they could simply make sure that the league was looking the way they want. Now they have another chance to define what there league looks like and they are failing so-far. This guy is getting more due process than the players get.

I can remember when Noah and Kobe made remarks that were thought to be demeaning towards homosexuals it seems like they were fined the next day. They didn't go through some long drawn out process to prove rather or not Kobe or Noah said what they were accused of. Now all of a sudden they have to make sure and go to the constitution and all that BS. I can remember how they made up rules to address the way guys like Iverson were dressing. All of that stuff was done so that they could simply make sure that the league was looking the way they want. Now they have another chance to define what there league looks like and they are failing so-far. This guy is getting more due process than the players get.

I don't remember the Kobe story but the Noah one he made the remarks on national TV. Big difference between that where you are obviously at fault and some audio tapes that could easily be manipulated. Not saying that's the case here as this guy is very likely guilty but he deserves his day in court.

I don't remember the Kobe story but the Noah one he made the remarks on national TV. Big difference between that where you are obviously at fault and some audio tapes that could easily be manipulated. Not saying that's the case here as this guy is very likely guilty but he deserves his day in court.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6579408

Here is an article on both Kobes and Noah's incidents. I disagree with you the NBA came down quickly on Noah because he admitted to it and did not try and lie out of it and claim that he didn't say it. I also disagree about the whole this guy deserves his day in court sentiment. IMO people expressing such are simply trying to take up for this guy on the low or don't understand that there is nothing such as due process in every situation. They also don't understand that courts and laws do not reflect the facts. The courts simply represent a way for this guy to acquit himself legally but he will never be acquitted himself in the court of public opinions which means just as much or more than a legal court because people have figured out that the legal courts don't represent truths or facts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6579408

Here is an article on both Kobes and Noah's incidents. I disagree with you the NBA came down quickly on Noah because he admitted to it and did not try and lie out of it and claim that he didn't say it. I also disagree about the whole this guy deserves his day in court sentiment. IMO people expressing such are simply trying to take up for this guy on the low or don't understand that there is nothing such as due process in every situation. They also don't understand that courts and laws do not reflect the facts. The courts simply represent a way for this guy to acquit himself legally but he will never be acquitted himself in the court of public opinions which means just as much or more than a legal court because people have figured out that the legal courts don't represent truths or facts.

The difference here is huge though and it's not because of anyone admitting it. Big difference when you say something on national TV and there's audio AND video of it and there's no question it's you.

Sorry that you have trouble with how in America you are innocent until proven guilty but it's something I actually appreciate about this country and it's legal system.

The difference here is huge though and it's not because of anyone admitting it. Big difference when you say something on national TV and there's audio AND video of it and there's no question it's you.

Sorry that you have trouble with how in America you are innocent until proven guilty but it's something I actually appreciate about this country and it's legal system.

I am sorry that you have not experienced enough life to know that you are actually guilty until proven innocent. Even sorrier that you would rather argue a wrong point instead of researching. I still wish you well in life.

I am sorry that you have not experienced enough life to know that you are actually guilty until proven innocent. Even sorrier that you would rather argue a wrong point instead of researching. I still wish you well in life.

Oh nah in 37 years living all over the US and world I've never experienced life. You are confusing the court of public opinion with real court and I'm sorry that you are having trouble with that.

Oh nah in 37 years living all over the US and world I've never experienced life. You are confusing the court of public opinion with real court and I'm sorry that you are having trouble with that.

You are the one having trouble. Fact is when a person is charged with intent to distribute just because they have a certain quantity of drugs that is guilty to proven innocent. Just because you have the quantity that will allow them to charge you with intent to distribute does not mean you had intent to distribute. You have to then defend yourself against this charge that is guilty until proven innocent.

Edited by MrMeltdown

• Moderators

You are the one having trouble. Fact is when a person is charged with intent to distribute just because they have a certain quantity of drugs that is guilty to proven innocent. Just because you have the quantity that will allow them to charge you with intent to distribute does not mean you had intent to distribute. You have to then defend yourself against this charge that is guilty until proven innocent.

I don't think you have a big understanding of burdens of proof.

Either way, the NBA needs to take some time to work this out because the goal isn't to fine Sterling and just move on like they did with Kobe and Noah. They could probably do that now. They need to let this stew and try to work out a buyout behind the scenes to get rid of Sterling for good. Since they can't force him to sell, they need to see public sentiment build on this to the point where he feels compelled to sell.

I don't think you have a big understanding of burdens of proof.

Either way, the NBA needs to take some time to work this out because the goal isn't to fine Sterling and just move on like they did with Kobe and Noah. They could probably do that now. They need to let this stew and try to work out a buyout behind the scenes to get rid of Sterling for good. Since they can't force him to sell, they need to see public sentiment build on this to the point where he feels compelled to sell.I

There is nothing such as burden of proof. That term is created by the courts and that issue has nothing to do with this. In the mental health field they lock people up everyday who have not committed a crime and whom they can not even prove are mentally ill. Those don't get due process or representation before they lock them up. The whole innocent to proven guilty thing is not factual. Burden of proof has absolutely nothing to do with the idea of innocent to proven guilty

Edited by MrMeltdown

• Moderators

Burden of proof has absolutely nothing to do with the idea of innocent to proven guilty

Let's just agree to disagree. I don't think there is much to be gained from going back and forth when this is your starting point.

Let's just agree to disagree. I don't think there is much to be gained from going back and forth when this is your starting point.I

I didn't engage you you engaged me. There is nothing to agree to disagree about you didn't make any point. You simply accused me of not understanding burden of proof, something that has absolutely nothing to do with anything that is being discussed and something that you can not prove. I will end just like I started in my first post about this topic there is absolutely zero need to get courts involved because there verdict will not represent the truth or the facts.