• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

To what degree would Horford made a difference in...

sturt

A lot of these 3's we have been shooting and making would not be happening because Al would naturally command a lot more possessions down low where the Pacers defend well. Im not sure he would be a good thing for us vs the Pacers.

I was thinking along those lines too. As innovative as Bud is, I wouldn't be surprised if he sat anyone other than DeMarre for any amount of time at any juncture to maximize the matchups he likes.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I think Al would be used for pick and pop exclusively and Sap would get it down low. Als ability to space the floor with his medium range shot paired with Pero and Korver providing spacing from deep would give Sap plenty of room to operate with his clever moves in the paint

• Premium Member

With Al, we would have been a different team. Not worse... but different. More offense run threw Al, less run threw Teague and less spread over the floor. The good thing is that Al can score consistently. I think However, for this series, it would have caused more problem than good. Our advantage here is that West, Scola, and Hibbert are all slow foot guys who don't want to go to the perimeter. Antić makes them respect the perimeter (supposed to). Al plays high post which would have kept those guys in their confort spot. So while Al is a better scorer which would significantly help us against the Heat and the Wiz... against the Pacers, it lets them get back to their defensive stretch.... unless Bud play Al and Antić together?

Antić, Al, Sap... as our frontcourt would cause problems because Sap can shoot now.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

With Al at center i agree it causes pacers less of a problem but with Al at PF and a C who is supposed to be able to knock down 3s that changes matters. I dont think Bud would play Al at C if he were available in this series.

Honestly, the Pacers have played so poorly this series that whatever perceived advantages they'd have on us with Horford playing would go out the window. Hibbert doesn't become useful just because Horford is on the court. He's taken himself out the game- there's no other way to put it.

• Premium Member

So you guys are trying to make the case that Pero/Brand at center > Horford at center in this series??

tumblr_magi6wGiCn1qzi80do2_r1_500.gif

No. Just noting that with Pero at C, we can stretch the defense completely out and have lanes for Teague and Millsap to work. Like I said before, Horf is a more efficient scorer than all the threes we have been taking so the gameplan would be different if he were playing 5.

No. Just noting that with Pero at C, we can stretch the defense completely out and have lanes for Teague and Millsap to work. Like I said before, Horf is a more efficient scorer than all the threes we have been taking so the gameplan would be different if he were playing 5.

Pero barely plays 1st of all and secondly, the guy isn't stretching anything. He has hit 3 shots over a 4 game period and is not only a foul machine but isn't a rim protector. Horfort would be a huge boost to our offense, defense and rebounding. And by the way, Horfort can spread the floor better than any front line player on the Hawks team since he is by far our best perimeter shooting big man.

Pero barely plays 1st of all and secondly, the guy isn't stretching anything. He has hit 3 shots over a 4 game period and is not only a foul machine but isn't a rim protector. Horfort would be a huge boost to our offense, defense and rebounding. And by the way, Horfort can spread the floor better than any front line player on the Hawks team since he is by far our best perimeter shooting big man.

HorforD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would still throw Hibbert into numerous high pick and rolls testing his foot speed. Pero's advantage is that he's involved off the ball forcing Hibbert to recover over a greater distance after ball watching but Vogel has since countered with switching him onto Sap. Bud countered with high pick and rolls which have worked in either forcing a switch where Hibbert is at a disadvantage against Jeffrey and the Pacers have to shade help towards Sap on George/Hill (which gives Demarre and Kyle seams to navigate) or Hibbert is at a disadvantage guarding a player 20 feet out that can either shoot or penetrate to the basket. In the latter regard Sap is a better ball handler and sets up Hibbert with the dribble but Horf has a superior first step, size and quickness that Hibbert has to contend with even with the slightly lesser range.

Oh, let's not forget Horf's ability to also push the ball on the break which would further test the Pacers' D both in transition and scrambling to their assignments if the initial break is stopped.

• Like 3

Bud would get the matchup he wanted against Vogel regardless. 9 times out of 10 they're confused about who's screening for who, if the screen is actually being used, and how a big just got on an island with a guard. NBATV broke down how Sap freely manipulates the angles of his picks. It's actually a miracle we don't get called for piles of illegal screens: Pero and Sap always seem to get away with little shifts, tugs, and pulls. Dwight Howard or KG would foul out of every game in this offense.

Now that I think of it, Al gets called for his fair share, but Bud has really put an emphasis on the ballhandler being patient and governing the screen properly, something Mack doesn't get enough credit for. Just copped my tickets for the game too. Imma be in that b&@ch going ballistic.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

We COULD play Millsap at the three too. Honestly, I think the Pacers are going to dump Evan Turner next year and I think he would be a perfect two for us. Imagine this lineup, Teague, Turner, Millsap, Horford, Nogueira/Antić/Scott or Korver at the two or three with Turner being the backup. We could beat just about anyone. Then you could have Millsap posting or Horford or Teague penetrating. In this series, you couldn't have George guarding Teague. Wouldn't happen.

Pero stretching the defense is the biggest urban myth ever. You have to make shots to stretch a defense. Dude has been terrible offensively in this series, and he's playing less and less. Pacers are stupid for even giving Pero so much attention.

• Like 1

Pero stretching the defense is the biggest urban myth ever. You have to make shots to stretch a defense. Dude has been terrible offensively in this series, and he's playing less and less. Pacers are stupid for even giving Pero so much attention.

Granted he has not been hitting his WIDE open shots it's the threat that he might is screwing up the Pacers. It also pulls his defender away from the paint allowing Teague and Milsap more room to operate.

Granted he has not been hitting his WIDE open shots it's the threat that he might is screwing up the Pacers. It also pulls his defender away from the paint allowing Teague and Milsap more room to operate.

So you think that they would leave Horford wide open if he was at the 5 instead of Pero?umnik.gif

So you think that they would leave Horford wide open if he was at the 5 instead of Pero?umnik.gif

If he were behind the 3pt line I doubt they'd be any closer. And Horford had really worked on his 3 this past offseason too so I believe he could be as much of a threat back there as Antić is.

• Like 1

I'll cosign with the majority of the posters here. If Al Horford was healthy, the Hawks likely would've won 10-15 more games and finished with the 3rd seed. Which means they would've been playing the Pacers in the second round and STILL kicking their hindparts up and down the court. I'll even go a little further by stating that with Horford, the series would've been over in five at the latest.

WIth Horford back in the lineup, they would've been gearing up for the Lebrons in the ECFs. Brooklyn would've stretched them to six but the Pacers wouldn't have stood a shot. Especially the way Hibbert's been playing lately...