• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Superman's guaranteed success didn't work.

Gray Mule

We've just gotta have a super star and we missed out on two of them

last off season. CP3 & Superman went elsewhere.

Surely we would have won it all if just one came here. Think, with both

we would never get beat.

Houston just got sent home in the first round and took Superman with them.

What? They had their super star and still couldn't win? Yep, afraid so.

We're still alive after six. Houston lost in six. And, we're playing the #1 seed!

Superman had a great game last night, yet he couldn't do enough to ensure

victory for his new team. Also, I'll bet he takes a huge chunk out of the payroll.

So, who is better off now?

If our beloved Hawks win this evening and move on to the second round, I'll

bet a few of those "tank" fans fall of their wagon and start to really like us

just the way we are - - Without that expected super star lottery pick.

(Hope it's not a bad sign, the way the Atlanta Braves are playing right now)

GO ATLANTA !!

• Like 3

I started a thread in Around the NBA, maybe it'll be merged with Dwight being a hometown boy and the fascination many fans have/ had of him. I never understood it personally. He's an AAU hack with no character. Without his physique he'd be overseas-worthy, except he isn't dedicated enough to make it off the court over there. Christian Missonary my azz. All he's done is had babies out of wedlock and cause locker room dissension.

I watched or listened to over 70 Hawks games this year. With him in the fold, I probably would've had enough after the All Star Break when Bud sent him to the doghouse. He lacks the intelligence and comradely needed to be here. If Hakeem can't help his post game and James can't help him hit free throws, Bud's staff has no time to fool with him f&@king up the flow of the offense and always blaming others for defensive breakdowns.

It's certain players you know will have no place in the league after they retire. Guys like Kyle and Elton have coaching or front office jobs waiting on them. Dwight? Keep your smile bright for those commercials and silly movie roles.

Edited by benhillboy

Nice post GM. Still doesn't mean much though in the grand scheme of things. You need guys playing at superstar level to win championships. You also need a squad that is a top 10 offensive AND defensive team most times. Houston is great offensively but flawed defensively, especially out on the perimeter. On that last play, Lillard got his good look because Harden didn't switch out on him. No defensive awareness whatsoever.

Winning a title isn't easy, as you know.

Having said that, it would be hilarious to see him out, and us going to Round 2.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Nice post GM. Still doesn't mean much though in the grand scheme of things. You need guys playing at superstar level to win championships. You also need a squad that is a top 10 offensive AND defensive team most times. Houston is great offensively but flawed defensively, especially out on the perimeter. On that last play, Lillard got his good look because Harden didn't switch out on him. No defensive awareness whatsoever.

Winning a title isn't easy, as you know.

Having said that, it would be hilarious to see him out, and us going to Round 2.

Adding to that...I think GM (and many others) oversimplify the argument. None of us believe that having a superstar guarantees a playoff series win. Let alone a championship. It's hard for some to understand that, because they can't see past the "win now" mentality. Everybody understands that you need a complete team to contend. I don't think the team is complete until you have a go-to scorer - someone who can answer the call when you're in a close out game like the one we just played.

I also don't think it's fair to contrast our success to the shortcomings of a Western Conference team. If the Hawks were seeded out west, we'd be 11 games out of the playoffs - and that's just based on our EC record. I shudder to think what that would look like if we actually played out west...where we are 10-20.

Regardless, I am a Hawks fan of 30 years. If we advance, I will probably be happier and more relived than most posters on this site. If we make it out of the 2nd round, and don't get swept by Miami in the ECF's, I will bow my head and admit that perhaps it can be done the way Ferry is doing it. Until then, I'm not going to celebrate. I'll just watch and wait.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Dwight played well in that series, it wasn't his fault they lost. It took a miracle shot for the Blazers to send them home.

You still need superstars to win titles. There is honestly no debating that issue.

• Like 1

the blazers had two superstars in Lillard and Aldridge.

In the series Aldridge averaged

29pts 11.2 rebs 2.7 Blks 48 FG%

Lillard averaged

25 pts 6 assist 6 rebs 47 FG%

Without those two playing at an ALL NBA level, the blazers would of been sent packing quickly. So the superstar argument still stands.

Edited by yungsta

We've just gotta have a super star and we missed out on two of them

last off season. CP3 & Superman went elsewhere.

Surely we would have won it all if just one came here. Think, with both

we would never get beat.

Houston just got sent home in the first round and took Superman with them.

What? They had their super star and still couldn't win? Yep, afraid so.

We're still alive after six. Houston lost in six. And, we're playing the #1 seed!

Superman had a great game last night, yet he couldn't do enough to ensure

victory for his new team. Also, I'll bet he takes a huge chunk out of the payroll.

So, who is better off now?

If our beloved Hawks win this evening and move on to the second round, I'll

bet a few of those "tank" fans fall of their wagon and start to really like us

just the way we are - - Without that expected super star lottery pick.

(Hope it's not a bad sign, the way the Atlanta Braves are playing right now)

GO ATLANTA !!

Portland played like a real team and Indy played like crap a lot of the second half. That Portland team would have swept this Hawk team and it wouldn't have been pretty.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Moderators

Houston was poorly constructed and coached. Dwight is not a good fit for Houston cause he takes up the space that Harden use to thrive in. Harden doesn't attack the lane as efficiently and doesn't get to the line as often anymore. I like the backcourt of Beverly/Harden, but the type of team Dwight thrives in is one that is surrounded by shooters and has a 4 that can shoot the grid. I'm telling ya, he should have signed with the Hawks. Dwight, Horford, Teague, and Korver would have been something great.

• Like 3