• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

AJC: An Unfamiliar Buzz About the Hawks

PSSSHHHRRR87

I hope this is right. That remains our best path forward to a star, IMO, even though a 15th pick qualifies as a very low % shot. Teague maintaining the aggressiveness from the playoffs is the biggest player development issue. It is do or die time for Jenkins while Bebe and Dennis should have the chance to earn regular rotation spots. Scott is an almost sure resign - if some other team doesn't get crazy with an offer. It will be interesting...

It is a long shot; but with a deep draft its probably a better shot than most years. SG/SF are the hardest positions in the NBA to fill IMO. Not so long ago that was the center spot for decades. But with all the length in the league now, forwards being a better play at center, the game has changed.

We have enough cap to chase a starter; but I don't think that cap will get us a all-star. Draft, draft, draft as you stated.

• Premium Member

Which would almost surely put us right back in the 'win one or no playoff series' category of playoff, non-contender teams.

Exactly. And if that's the case, they'll most certainly lose any good will built with the fans from the playoffs.

That's not accurate at all. There are plenty of serviceable players taken outside of the draft lottery and there are a few very big names that have been taken late. However, when you look at the total number of players taken, there is a microscopic number of actual stars. I think we can find a good player where we're picking, but I'm sure Ferry's focus will be on FAcy.

Key word is all-star; not star. Examples: Jameer Nelson, Carlos Boozer, have both made all star teams but I don't see them as HOF type stars by a long shot.

We only have 8 to 11 in cap. Does anyone really think we can sign a future star\hall of famer, who is not on his last legs, with that? I sure a hell don't.

How do you see that possibly working with the salary cap? I don't think we have room for Monroe let alone Monroe and Hayward.

I am no cap expert nor claim to be one but getting Lou off the books should help.. Hell even trading Sap would put us at a better position then we are current

If the Hawks are relying on the 15th pick to make them significantly better, they're dreamin'. He'll likely be behind Dennis in the rotation next year.

I hope like hell we can do better than Dennis in this deep of a draft. Shit he was 17th in probably the weakest draft in the last five years...maybe ten?

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Key word is all-star; not star. Examples: Jameer Nelson, Carlos Boozer, have both made all star teams but I don't see them as HOF type stars by a long shot.

We only have 8 to 11 in cap. Does anyone really think we can sign a future star\hall of famer, who is not on his last legs, with that? I sure a hell don't.

Danny Granger, David Lee, Rondo, Millsap, Marc Gasol, Hibbert.

These are your "All-Stars" from 180+ picks over a 4 year sampling from 2005 - 2008 outside of the lottery. That's like...a 3% chance to land a player of that quality. A couple of those guys are 2nd rounders - where most players play little to no role on an actual NBA team.

• Like 1

Danny Granger, David Lee, Rondo, Millsap, Marc Gasol, Hibbert.

These are your "All-Stars" from 180+ picks over a 4 year sampling from 2005 - 2008 outside of the lottery. That's like...a 3% chance to land a player of that quality. A couple of those guys are 2nd rounders - where most players play little to no role on an actual NBA team.

Everyone of those is a first round pick; none are 2nd. Cut you sample to 1st round only to be accurate.

Is anyone watching the 2nd best team. Indy just lost home court again. Its not going to take a lot to leap frog them. Seriously, we were right behind them with Horford....

• Premium Member

Is anyone watching the 2nd best team. Indy just lost home court again. Its not going to take a lot to leap frog them. Seriously, we were right behind them with Horford....

Indy is not the second best team. The Wizards are more talented and that will show in this series. Man I wish the Hawks could get a guy like Beal!

Also, the Hawks can't rely on hoping other teams fall apart for ascension. That's what they were doing and it's a losing strategy.

• Like 1

There's a lot of fans here who think we need a reworking or something. Trade Sap, Horford, Lou etc...I don't feel that at all. We had to start Antić, Ayón, and Brand in place of Al. I can do without Lou, but I like Horford and Sap on the same team....

Indy is not the second best team. The Wizards are more talented and that will show in this series. Man I wish the Hawks could get a guy like Beal!

Also, the Hawks can't rely on hoping other teams fall apart for ascension. That's what they were doing and it's a losing strategy.

I am not hoping for anything. With Horford we are better than Indy right now.

• Premium Member

I am not hoping for anything. With Horford we are better than Indy right now.

We'd like to think so, but that is yet to be determined as fact. They still beat the Hawks. Also, the goal shouldn't be merely to leap frog the Pacers.

How do you see that possibly working with the salary cap? I don't think we have room for Monroe let alone Monroe and Hayward.

Its called fantasy trades. Trade Sap for Monroe, the difference in contracts will eat up 3 to 5 million. Then trade Lou and maybe someone else for Hayward with whats left wink3.gif

In the mean time, Hayward and Monroe state they will only accept a contract from us......

Edited by Buzzard