• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

AJC: An Unfamiliar Buzz About the Hawks

PSSSHHHRRR87

Id only trade lou. Than use whats left in free agency

Yep - I'll trade Lou for even a future 2nd to just clear cap space, that $5.4mil. Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Time for more reality from Diesel.

We got lucky this playoff season. We caught a fragile team whom we had a matchup advantage and we played it out for what it was worth. Now, i wouldn't be surprised to see Washington with their bigs and their shooters 4-0 Indy.

What we have to do is realize our strengths, weaknesses, and address them.

We definitely have coaching strength. We definitely have shooting strength. But where we are weak is on the boards. In the post. And in players who can score when called on. Horford will help with Boards. However, I have never viewed Horf as a down low guy. He doesn't have the moves to be that. Whereas Millsap has more moves down low than Horf, I don't think that's his game either. So what should we do.

IF we want to continue gaining traction with the type of play we did against Indy... You get Hawes. He's a damn near 50% from three guy. But he's Charmin soft.

I don't think we should get Monroe from either a money point of view or a Position point of view. He's not a 5. He doesn't play downlow. He's a poor man's Horf.

Gortat and Dalembert are manly men who will be available... but BBIQ? Still both can play defense down low.

On the wingman side of things, there are two guys that stick out to me: Trevor Ariza and Loul Deng. I also like Afflalo but that's a trade...

Ariza gives you a guy who is still young, still healthy, can shoot and can defend. Deng gives you an old guy who is falling apart but could be a solid defender. Deng wouldn't fall apart so fast with us because he'd split time with Korver and DMC.

What will we do: Ive said it. Patty Mills and Hawes. The money fit. The players are Ferry type players.

If we are going after 'Charmin tissue soft' Hawes then we need to get another big like Jordan Hill who can do some dirty work on the board and in the paint.

• Premium Member

Indy is not the second best team. The Wizards are more talented and that will show in this series. Man I wish the Hawks could get a guy like Beal!

Also, the Hawks can't rely on hoping other teams fall apart for ascension. That's what they were doing and it's a losing strategy.

Beal would be absolutely perfect for this team. But I think the Hawks can find a taller version of him in the draft in James Young.

What we have to do is realize our strengths, weaknesses, and address them.

.....We definitely have shooting strength. But where we are weak is on the boards. In the post. And in players who can score when called on. Horford will help with Boards. However, I have never viewed Horf as a down low guy......So what should we do.

IF we want to continue gaining traction with the type of play we did against Indy... You get Hawes. He's a damn near 50% from three guy.

/Does not compute.

I don't understand why on one hand you say shooting is a strength and that we need a big to play down low, hit boards, etc (and I'm going to guess you are talking about needing someone who plays more than spot minutes off the bench) then your first move we need to do is get a soft big who plays outside and shooting is his one strength.

Not that I would hate having Hawes mind you, it just seems contradictory to the point you were trying to make.

I know not many would like to have him, but I'd like it if Ferry were to try to make a trade for Larry Sanders. He isn't a big banger, but can play down low, rebound, play D, and I think could be available for the right package. Especially if they end up drafting Embiid or something. I think he would bounce back to what he was capable of when he got that contract if he got out of the black hole called Milwaukee.

• Like 1

/Does not compute.

I don't understand why on one hand you say shooting is a strength and that we need a big to play down low, hit boards, etc (and I'm going to guess you are talking about needing someone who plays more than spot minutes off the bench) then your first move we need to do is get a soft big who plays outside and shooting is his one strength.

Not that I would hate having Hawes mind you, it just seems contradictory to the point you were trying to make.

I know not many would like to have him, but I'd like it if Ferry were to try to make a trade for Larry Sanders. He isn't a big banger, but can play down low, rebound, play D, and I think could be available for the right package. Especially if they end up drafting Embiid or something. I think he would bounce back to what he was capable of when he got that contract if he got out of the black hole called Milwaukee.

Larry Sanders comes with an $11 million dollar price tag until the 2017/2018 season - Who are we including in a trade for him?

Lou ($5.4 mil) and who?

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Larry Sanders comes with an $11 million dollar price tag until the 2017/2018 season - Who are we including in a trade for him?

Lou ($5.4 mil) and who?

Ah, well, you know, that's Ferry's job to figure out, not mine. This is a message board and my only responsibility is to be an ideas man and shoot my mouth off. If I got paid like Danny, I could figure it out.

JK.

In all honesty, if I weren't typing like a monkey from my phone, I'd actually try to look up salaries and such, but I'm only committed so much when I'm mobile.

• Like 1

Lou ($5.4 mil) and who?

Ah, well, you know, that's Ferry's job to figure out, not mine. This is a message board and my only responsibility is to be an ideas man and shoot my mouth off. If I got paid like Danny, I could figure it out.

JK.

In all honesty, if I weren't typing like a monkey from my phone, I'd actually try to look up salaries and such, but I'm only committed so much when I'm mobile.

• Moderators

No thanks on Larry Sanders. That dude is overpaid, had one good half season, and is a head case. Not a Ferry guy. Plus, he is a converted PF. And you know who Larry Sanders reminds me of? Lucas "Bebe" Noguiera who will prolly be on the roster next season on ROOKIE salary and isn't a head case.

bebe.jpg

• Like 1

I am not all that hyped about this seasons free agent class. Ariza and Gortat? I know Bron, Wade, Bosh, and Melo could be; but after them its slim pickings. Valued UFA's don't move much and I expect at most two or three will move this off season.

The new NBA cap/luxury penalties will be on the minds of Indy, Detroit, Washington, and a few others. But the projected cap rising 5 million dollars is a double edged sword. It helps us by increasing our free cap; but helps others by keeping them below or within the 1st penalty level...

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

If we are going after 'Charmin tissue soft' Hawes then we need to get another big like Jordan Hill who can do some dirty work on the board and in the paint.

That's what Horf is for. He's 10 rebounds walking.

A lot of you who are advocating keeping most of this roster together, and just adding role players, are falling into a dangerous trap.

The Hawks were so fragile this year, that anytime we had Horford + another rotation player out of the lineup, this team basically collapsed. As much as I like guys like Mike Scott and Shelvin Mack, it's really no way they should be back here, if we're serious about challenging for an East title. And we can't keep throwing out a starting lineup of Carroll and Korver, and expect them to outscore the opposing wings . . . because it didn't happen for most of the year.

We are not falling into a trap. It is not like any fan can make such a decision for our team; and that includes you and I.....

Calling us fragile when our best player gets injured is ludicrous. If the Clips lose Paul or Blake they will be fragile lmao....

With all this being said, I want an upgrade at SG/SF. I do think Horford and SAP equal one of the best overall one/two front line combos in the league. And I do think Teague is well above just being a serviceable starting Point Guard...

We need help and I am in agreement, we can't throw our money out there only because we have it. Quality is what we need. If we cannot get that in free agency this season, then one year deals and try again next season. I think Ferry is plenty smart enough and will not lock us into any bad long term contracts that cripple us. He dumped all those as you pointed out.

His experience in Cleveland was with a desperate spend now/win now owner. We are not that team and he knows this. Until we can compete for a championship; our long term payroll will always be flexible enough to make a great move if and when one arises...

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

/Does not compute.

Well, first and foremost. I didn't say "our first move should be...." I said if you want to continue to play the way that we played against Indy THEN we should get Hawes.

Here's the rationale.

What we did against Indy was put our 5 out on the perimeter and used our guards to penetrate when they could with the advantage of knowing that if the defense collapsed there were 4 other guys who can hit a three pointer. In my day, it was a zone buster offense. It took advantage of slow footed defenders who didn't want to leave the paint. The key is that the three pointer is a weapon. Teams that can hit the three with efficiency will kill their opponents simply by breaking them. If a team is trading 2s with 3s, eventually they will break. We were able to do this to Indy until they realized that Antić was shooting 13% and that the only nonstreaky guys out there were Korver and Mack.

So what do you do if you want to play that "3ball offense". You get a 5 who can hit the three more than 40% of the time. That's Hawes. He will actually stretch the defense.

The 3ball offense is not my cup of tea but it fits perfectly with Bud because he does the team defensive rebounding, the getting back on defense and not getting offensive rebounding and Very high pick and roll.

I'm more of a Pick and Roll (Jerry Sloanlike) type of guy. Where you can either have a pick n roll, pick and pop, or pickett fence offense.

Lou ($5.4 mil) and who?

We don't have to include anyone else. With Lou's 5.4 being moved in the deal we have more than enough cap to eat the rest of Sanders contract. In all likelihood the same with Monroe in a SNT, and the same with a lot of players. Problem is, most teams will want more than just Lou for a valued player on a somewhat reasonable deal. A pick and/or another player....

Edited by Buzzard

@Diesel - Per Danny Ferry (on radio this morning) the 5 out 3 ball was a direct side effect of Al getting hurt.

He and Bud got together after Al got hurt and it was determined the team would have to take at least 30 3's a game. With Al back it's more PnR/PnP.