• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Hawks greatest opponent = Inertia.

Diesel

I would consider Josh a draft success at 17 considering Jay Bilas said he would be the bust of the draft. Coaching failed Josh (though some of that is also on him).

Jameer Nelson was taken 18th. Not saying Jameer is a world beater; but that would have saved us a good bit of money and wasted draft picks looking for a starting PG back then.

• Premium Member

Back to inertia. We have found that inertia (mostly under Sund's watch) is just as big a killer as drafting wrong. I fear that we will develop a case of inertia based on our playoff performance when the truth is that the playoffs are a very bad barometer. Instead, we should shoot for trying to fix areas where we know we are weak. I hate to use the phrase but by any means necessary. That means that one of the fan favorites may be traded.

• Premium Member

In my opinion, the fact Horford will be back next year guarantees we will have a much better season. No inertia. We are getting better. DF will make the moves he deems necessary, and I don't really think trading for the sake of trading is in his plans for the future.

• Premium Member

Watched the Heat beat Brooklyn and it confirmed that we don't miss Iso Joe at all.

In other words (especially in this last game, you watched the Heat cheat their way to victory. Refs didn't bring out the Heat whistles. Obvious fouls not being called. Somebody needs to fix this fixed game.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

In my opinion, the fact Horford will be back next year guarantees we will have a much better season. No inertia. We are getting better. DF will make the moves he deems necessary, and I don't really think trading for the sake of trading is in his plans for the future.

So, you think that Horford comiung back is a fix all for us and puts us into championship contention??

based on what? Our 36 wins? You think Horf is worth more than 14 wins? That only gets us to 50 wins. Again I say.... don't go by how good we looked in 1 playoff series, but go by our struggle in the reg season. Even with Horf, we were just a little better than .500. Inertia.

• Like 2

So, you think that Horford comiung back is a fix all for us and puts us into championship contention??

based on what? Our 36 wins? You think Horf is worth more than 14 wins? That only gets us to 50 wins. Again I say.... don't go by how good we looked in 1 playoff series, but go by our struggle in the reg season. Even with Horf, we were just a little better than .500. Inertia.

I really don't think it is, either. We're talking about the team being a serious championship contender, not just winning 45-50 games and getting their ish pushed in come Round 2 of the playoffs. That kind of end game would've been okay this season if we had been the #3 seed and pushed the Lebrons to six games before jobbing out; especially given how putrid the East was this year. But now, it should be all about what they are adding ON TOP of just bringing Horford back.

If Ferry is going to differentiate himself from his predecessors, he has to do more than just hope that Al comes back healthy. It starts with selecting someone in the draft who can PLAY; if that guy can't be found with the 15th pick, trade the pick for a vet who can. I'm not saying to break the bank on someone like Luol Deng or Rudy Gay but an attempt to do better than just hope for Demarre Carroll to transform into an All-Star has to be made this offseason...

• Moderators

Watched the Heat beat Brooklyn and it confirmed that we don't miss Iso Joe at all.

I don't know. I saw Joe hit that clutch 3 at the end and was like damn he'd be great on this hawks team then i saw him spaztically unable to even get a shot up in 4 seconds while he dribble into a wedge and lost the ball and thought...well maybe not. Of course he did carry brooklyn for much of the season.

• Premium Member

I really don't think it is, either. We're talking about the team being a serious championship contender, not just winning 45-50 games and getting their ish pushed in come Round 2 of the playoffs. That kind of end game would've been okay this season if we had been the #3 seed and pushed the Lebrons to six games before jobbing out; especially given how putrid the East was this year. But now, it should be all about what they are adding ON TOP of just bringing Horford back.

If Ferry is going to differentiate himself from his predecessors, he has to do more than just hope that Al comes back healthy. It starts with selecting someone in the draft who can PLAY; if that guy can't be found with the 15th pick, trade the pick for a vet who can. I'm not saying to break the bank on someone like Luol Deng or Rudy Gay but an attempt to do better than just hope for Demarre Carroll to transform into an All-Star has to be made this offseason...

Exactly.

With Al, we projected (in the weak part of our schedule) to be a 46 win team. A 46 win team has many places to improve. Ferry has to break the cycle of inertia and go out and continue building a contender. Honestly, we can say that Ferry has thus far lucked his way to where we are. Sap was a good addition but would he have been an allstar if Horf not have gone down. I credit Ferry with finding Bud. I think so far, Bud has been the true difference maker. However, we will need more than smart coaching. We need talent. And talent in places where we are weak.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't know. I saw Joe hit that clutch 3 at the end and was like damn he'd be great on this hawks team then i saw him spaztically unable to even get a shot up in 4 seconds while he dribble into a wedge and lost the ball and thought...well maybe not. Of course he did carry brooklyn for much of the season.

I saw Joe carry them through Toronto. I saw him go head to head with Lebron. Still, Joe don't have the League on his back like Lebron does so Lebron can foul Joe and never get called. The fourth qtr of last night's game was a Joke. It's just more proof that the game is fixed.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I saw Joe carry them through Toronto. I saw him go head to head with Lebron. Still, Joe don't have the League on his back like Lebron does so Lebron can foul Joe and never get called. The fourth qtr of last night's game was a Joke. It's just more proof that the game is fixed.

I pretty much feel that way too especially when joey crawford is on the floor. But the truth is that Joe was not fouled on that last play. He blew it.

• Premium Member

I pretty much feel that way too especially when joey crawford is on the floor. But the truth is that Joe was not fouled on that last play. He blew it.

Actually, if the shoe was on the other foot and Ray Allen had grab Lebron's legs and thighs, I think the ref would have blown the whistle.

• Moderators

Actually, if the shoe was on the other foot and Ray Allen had grab Lebron's legs and thighs, I think the ref would have blown the whistle.

Don't get me wrong. I totally believe things are in Lebron's favor in general and that makes it near impossible to beat the heat. But you can't call a foul on this play. Ray slaps the ball away and there is just some incidental contact at that point but its a loose ball. There isn't a call here in preseason much less the end of the game.

• Moderators

The bigger point is why Joe gets in this situation (like we've seen many times). He should have been rising up to shoot much sooner. I mean he's 10 feet away and has a good chance of getting a real foul with as tight as Lebron is on him.

Exactly.

With Al, we projected (in the weak part of our schedule) to be a 46 win team. A 46 win team has many places to improve. Ferry has to break the cycle of inertia and go out and continue building a contender. Honestly, we can say that Ferry has thus far lucked his way to where we are. Sap was a good addition but would he have been an allstar if Horf not have gone down. I credit Ferry with finding Bud. I think so far, Bud has been the true difference maker. However, we will need more than smart coaching. We need talent. And talent in places where we are weak.

Which is what I've been preaching for decades now. It has to be about more than just bringing the gang back after they make a run at (insert heavily favored opponent here) before coming up short in the first or second round. Save for one offseason (1988-89 when they brought in Moses and Theus) that's been their mantra since arriving here. While other teams in the conference made waves by bringing in REAL players, the Hawks sat on their hands and trotted out the same guys under the 'WLOC' concept. Every now and then, they'd strike gold (see Mutombo or Jamal Crawford) but for the most part, their offseason acquistions were made up of vets five years past their prime, journeymen looking for one more trip to the pay window before going away, and busters who couldn't scratch Georgia State's lineup (no small feat nowadays). That has to change...

• Premium Member

Exactly.

with Al, we barely knew what system we were playing. It's silly to think that the Hawks wouldn't get real good post AS break.

• Like 2