• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks pursuing Asik

Vol4ever

Like I said...if this happens I'm cool with it as long as we don't trade sap. But I will say you guys really ignore the offense side of the ball when asik is in the game...so much that it's amazing!

But hey I can roll with it but as soon as we need some offense and defense in late stretches I wouldn't be surprise if sap is put in over asik or at the 3.

I guess my biggest thing about adding asik is just that...in the situation we need both offense and defense in the game, what lineup is bud going to turn to? Will sap be on the bench? How about asik riding the bench when it really matters? Or will both be in the game?

That's a huge question that should be answered before making such a move for asik.

If we've got Asik on the floor with Millsap or Horford we'll have a 4 to stretch the floor and hopefully we'll have a good SF who can create his own shot, hit the 3 and/or be good at moving without the ball. Offense should never be a problem for us but we really need someone who can create 2nd thoughts in the paint for opposing players and while Asik isn't an elite shot blocker, he challenges a ton of shots unlike any C we've had since Theo.

• Premium Member

Aisk ain't starting if we got Horf and Sap. No chance in hell and I don't like Horf at C either. But that should open up our options and give Antić some time at PF as well.

I would say it's matchup dependent.

I would say it's matchup dependent.

You are going to give up 8 PPG at the Center spot. We did something similar this past season and it got us the 8th seed and a less than .500 season record.

We just do not have the offensive firepower to get away with that.

• Premium Member

You are going to give up 8 PPG at the Center spot. We did something similar this past season and it got us the 8th seed and a less than .500 season record.

We just do not have the offensive firepower to get away with that.

I think we should always go with the best matchup. I watched Vogel almost lose to us because of his stubbornness to change his matchup. IF having a big lineup against a certain team gives us a matchup advantage, then I go big. If going small is to our advantage then I go small. I don't get your 8 ppg nonesense.

• Moderators

I think we should always go with the best matchup. I watched Vogel almost lose to us because of his stubbornness to change his matchup. IF having a big lineup against a certain team gives us a matchup advantage, then I go big. If going small is to our advantage then I go small. I don't get your 8 ppg nonesense.

He's saying you take an 18/10 center and replace him with a 10/12 center. We're pulling points out of the lineup if we go Horford/asik instead of millsap/horford.

And let's admit that this is being EXTREMELY generous to Asik. He's had exactly one year of being a 10/12 guy. To say he's anywhere near the center that Horford is is bunk in my opinion.

• Moderators

On the attitude, Asik and disgrunted comes up with matches and includes articles by legit NBA men like:

Adreian Wojnarowski

In an effort to unload disgruntled center Omer Asik, the Houston Rockets have engaged in trade talks with multiple teams and are demanding an impact player in return, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Marc Stein

The center was scratched from Saturday's home game against Denver essentially because he's so unhappy with his new role that he's in no state to play. Word is Asik has been asking the Rockets pretty much once a week, since Dwight Howard's arrival in July, to please trade him elsewhere. And now losing his starting spot, on top of what was already a reduced role, has clearly knocked the 27-year-old back.

Sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com that Asik was challenged by coaches and teammates this week for not being "engaged" in the wake of the lineup change, which took effect when Asik was moved to the bench for Wednesday's game in Philadelphia. And he hasn't played since the challenge, logging zero minutes Thursday night in New York while in uniform and not even dressing against the Nuggets.

He started his first 90 games as a Rocket after signing as a free agent in the summer of 2012 before declaring himself unavailable to play the Knicks in New York on Nov. 14, snapping a streak of 239 consecutive games played in the regular season. Asik is averaging 18.3 minutes per game, down from last season's career high of 30.3, and is averaging just 4.4 points and 6.8 rebounds.[/quote]

Ken Burger

Etc. Etc.

The guy even fired his agent because he failed to get him traded quickly enough. His attitude was bad last season - I think that is beyond dispute. It is obviously not in the same realm as Horford.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The Hawks were 29/30 in rebounding in 2014.

The Hawks were 26/30 in Blks/Stls in 2014.

The Hawks were 21/30 in opponent shooting% in 2014.

In regards to the attitude, what is wrong with wanting to play? The guy has a desire to compete.

I dont want to here the Chris Humphries crap, he doesnt play a lick of defense.

Edited by Vol4ever
  • Like 1

• Moderators

In regards to the attitude, what is wrong with wanting to play? The guy has a desire to compete.

Wanting to play is good. Refusing to play when you don't get the minutes you think you deserve is not.

Would it be good if he refused to come on the floor in Atlanta when we determine that we match up best with Sap/Horf starting?

I don't think his attitude is a complete killer by any means but he had the chance to ask for trade and embrace a more limited role on a winning team in the meantime and chose to pout instead. We should exercise some caution in figuring how he would fit with Sap and Horf if Sap can't play large minutes at SF -- especially if starting is important to all three of them. I don't expect that problem because Sap has embraced an off-the-bench role in the past for the good of the team.

• Like 3

• Moderators

The Hawks were 29/30 in rebounding in 2014.

The Hawks were 26/30 in Blks/Stls in 2014.

The Hawks were 21/30 in opponent shooting% in 2014.

I dont want to here the Chris Humphries crap, he doesnt play a lick of defense.

Go on the court and earn your time. If you're better than Dwight then you'll play. I can't believe how much attention this guy gets as a career 5/7 center.

Wanting to play is good. Refusing to play when you don't get the minutes you think you deserve is not.

Would it be good if he refused to come on the floor in Atlanta when we determine that we match up best with Sap/Horf starting?

I don't think his attitude is a complete killer by any means but he had the chance to ask for trade and embrace a more limited role on a winning team in the meantime and chose to pout instead. We should exercise some caution in figuring how he would fit with Sap and Horf if Sap can't play large minutes at SF -- especially if starting is important to all three of them. I don't expect that problem because Sap has embraced an off-the-bench role in the past for the good of the team.

Most NBA Players want to start. They come into the NBA having done so all their lives. But the reality of being at the highest level is this: out of over 350 NBA players only 150 get to start.

The players that adjust the best are the ones who care just as much about winning as they do starting. Most of these vets over the last five years asked for trades because they want to win. And they did not tank on their team mates to force the issue.

Asik just wants to start. Instead of embracing a new role on what many thought was a championship contender, Asik threw in the towel. Ask for a trade that you think is in your best interest, then lace up and play to win every day. Its not like he took a cut in pay when D12 came on board.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

Yeah, I don't get it. It was overkill with folks here being down on Smith for his supposed attitude. Can you imagine the sheer, unadulterated venom that would be spit at that guy had he literally asked out of games (while healthy) the way Asik supposedly did? That's showing a desire to compete?

I'll grant that he would fit a need and it sounds good on paper, but what happens if Asik doesn't want to rotate with Horford? Because he didn't want to rotate with Howard.

Yes, I know I'm being a little extra with this, but it's a question we need to consider.

They are valid questions due to a litany of reasons because you have to consider the salary you are paying him versus his production, what you give up to get him and what it would take to keep him. Suppose instead of just demanding a trade every week he says "okay, I know where I'm not resigning next year"?
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don't get it. It was overkill with folks here being down on Smith for his supposed attitude. Can you imagine the sheer, unadulterated venom that would be spit at that guy had he literally asked out of games (while healthy) the way Asik supposedly did? That's showing a desire to compete?

I'll grant that he would fit a need and it sounds good on paper, but what happens if Asik doesn't want to rotate with Horford? Because he didn't want to rotate with Howard.

Yes, I know I'm being a little extra with this, but it's a question we need to consider.

They are valid questions due to a litany of reasons because you have to consider the salary you are paying and what you give up to get him especially as it pertains to his impending free agency. Suppose instead of just demanding a trade every week he just says "okay, I know where I'm not resigning next year"? And you have individuals on here talking about flipping picks or Sap for what could easily turn out to be a situation similar to Bynum part II.

Hmm, I didn't think my first post made it through the subway. Kudos to you, NSA.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...