• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Kings interested in Dennis Schröder? (Putting #8 pick on trading block)

GameTime

The best things that Schröder has going for him is defensive awareness and offensive passing. His shot is not impressive. His control and attitude makes him less desirable as a point. He wants to hotdog instead of win. That's why he turns it over so much. He wants to be the attraction. Impress me with your ability to lead your team to win. If we don't trade Schröder at draft time, he better show that he has worked on his shooting and his attitude. However, Teague has a stranglehold on that position. He not only delivered, he led.

His shooting form is actually impressive, he's just very streaky and needs to learn consistency with it. But let's not act like he looks awkward and has a weird stroke. He's also incredibly adept at getting around his man and setting up passes off of the PnR.

Let's not forget that until the final month of the season, Teague was looking abysmal and his shooting was as bad as Schroders.

• Like 2

Did you see Kobe's first year with the Lakers? I think that this draft is the best we will see for a while. I watched these guys purposefully (except for Exum who I really think will be great). There are a few who just really speak to me strongly and there are some who got hype and I still don't see why. However, those 5 are going to be really, really good and teams that miss out on them will hate themselves. It's been a long wait. Having 1 really really good player in the draft and such... but this year, the basketball gods have granted the league a gift. This class. This may be a stronger class than Howard's.

Pro scouts are not seeing the same thing as you, which is why they've cooled considerably on this draft class. Maybe they will end up being great but you're comparing these guys to some of the all-time greats and that's just a very unrealistic comparison.

• Premium Member

This was a from last year during the Hoop Summit where all the top guys in this years draft were prominently featured. Dante Exum (# 7) even makes a few appearances.

Dennis Schröder Atlanta Hawks Draft Pick - Nike H:

Well, let's send this tape over to Orlando and see if they will give us #4 for Dennis.

What about Randle is questionable?

Moreover, in a good draft, you take the best player available. I'm not saying that any current player is safe. Especially considering the nature of our frontcourt's contracts. Trades can be made... especially trades that make the team better.

Randle is a tweener with unimpressive measurables. 7' wingspan is just awful for a guy who's 6'9 in shoes. He's also got small hands and if I showed you a list of PF's who were significantly quicker than him in the agility drills you'd probably spit your drink out.

I don't agree with taking the BPA when it's a position that we've been log-jammed at now for it feels like forever.

His shooting form is actually impressive, he's just very streaky and needs to learn consistency with it. But let's not act like he looks awkward and has a weird stroke...

OK, Ok, ok...his shooting is NOT impressive at all (unless you are pulling for the other team)...when they say you need "consistency" that means you are bad...generally. In fact he does look awkward...but has a decent stroke when left wide open....he could improve to borderline with work...or we could just get a guy better than him already and not "F" with the science project.

• Premium Member

Well, let's send this tape over to Orlando and see if they will give us #4 for Dennis.

I like Dante Exum and think he has the tools to be really good. But he'll have a transiton to make and so will all the other first year players. My point is that Dennis is really talented. Despite his struggles last season, it's way too early to make conclusions one way or the other as to what he'll be as a player.
  • Like 2

OK, Ok, ok...his shooting is NOT impressive at all (unless you are pulling for the other team)...when they say you need "consistency" that means you are bad...generally. In fact he does look awkward...but has a decent stroke when left wide open....he could improve to borderline with work...or we could just get a guy better than him already and not "F" with the science project.

Sorry DJ you know I like you as a poster but I can't take some of the stuff you say seriously. Schröder has beautiful form on his jumper and that's a good start. In his seasons in Europe he got progressively better shooting the ball and shot a higher and higher percentage and that's what we should be expecting from him as well.

You crack me up though saying his shooting is not impressive and at best he could improve to borderline. Funny that Teague has the far uglier shot and was shooting about the same percentages on jumpers that Schröder was until the final month of the season but I don't hear you clamoring to replace him. Only took him 5 years to get his act together to be a guy we believe should be the starter and yet Dennis gets 1 year as the 3rd string PG and you're desperate to replace him.

• Like 3

Despite his struggles last season, it's way too early to make conclusions one way or the other as to what he'll be as a player.

No..it's not...we all love our draftees but Dennis is bust city.

It's OK...may get DF away from trying to hope for the next Tony Parker.

Edited by DJlaysitup

Did you see Kobe's first year with the Lakers? I think that this draft is the best we will see for a while. I watched these guys purposefully (except for Exum who I really think will be great). There are a few who just really speak to me strongly and there are some who got hype and I still don't see why. However, those 5 are going to be really, really good and teams that miss out on them will hate themselves. It's been a long wait. Having 1 really really good player in the draft and such... but this year, the basketball gods have granted the league a gift. This class. This may be a stronger class than Howard's.

This was supposed to be the best draft class since the LBJ draft right?

2003 Draft Class:

LeBron James, Darko Milicic, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade, Chris Kaman, Kirk Hinrich, T.J. Ford, Mike Sweetney, Jarvis Hayes

4 of 10 are bonafide Stars

2004 Draft Class:

Dwight Howard, Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon, Shaun Livingston, Devin Harris, Josh Childress,Luol Deng, Rafael Araujo, Andre Iguodala,Luke Jackson

1 bonafide star, 1 allstar.

A survey of most draft classes will show that less than half will not develop to what you project.. 1 or 2 stars/a few will be good starters/role players other will be meh.

I don't feel this draft class meets the 2003 standard.

• Moderators

This was a from last year during the Hoop Summit where all the top guys in this years draft were prominently featured. Dante Exum (# 7) even makes a few appearances.

Dennis Schröder Atlanta Hawks Draft Pick - Nike H:

The advantage Schröder has is being 19 and playing against 17 year olds. I definitely love watching that, though!

I have eyes...and so does Bud...Dennis is a guy with quickness that whooped up on the 6-6" white guys - his speed is nothing that special in the NBA and he has little other than speed. Can't shoot, borderline passer, not a dunker, He is an oddity that we took a chance on...like Bebe.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Moderators

Randle is a tweener with unimpressive measurables. 7' wingspan is just awful for a guy who's 6'9 in shoes. He's also got small hands and if I showed you a list of PF's who were significantly quicker than him in the agility drills you'd probably spit your drink out.

I don't agree with taking the BPA when it's a position that we've been log-jammed at now for it feels like forever.

Randle is the only guy on that top 8 list who I think is hard to fit in the rotation but he is no harder than Schröder trying to get minutes with Teague and Mack.

I think Randle is going to score the ball reasonably well and will be a plus rebounder, dribbler and passer as a PF. If he is the worst case scenario for our team, I feel very good about that. He is going to be a productive pro.

The big difference is that Sap is an UFA after next year while Teague is going to be getting the bulk of the PG minutes for the next 3 years. Mack and Scott are similar level backups. Randle is also under a team control for another year after Schröder hits free agency. I think Randle makes for better trade bait in a Love scenario as well.

Doesn't change my analysis on Schröder for #8.

Oh please...who was our all-star last year? Paul Millsap!...LT...not some foreign goomer. Without Paul Millsap we miss the playoffs...best player on the team...Dennis was sitting while Mack played and Bebe was in Europe. Bud didn't sit Dennis because he wanted to "shield him"....Mack was better.

Simple as that.

The NBA isn't Germany against Uruguay.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Moderators

Pro scouts are not seeing the same thing as you, which is why they've cooled considerably on this draft class. Maybe they will end up being great but you're comparing these guys to some of the all-time greats and that's just a very unrealistic comparison.

I still think this will be a very good class when it is all said and done but Diesel's comparisons are wildly optimistic. Granting that, these guys can all fall way short of his predictions and end up being high impact players. They won't all be but there will be a lot more of them out of this top 10 than last year, for example.

Randle is the only guy on that top 8 list who I think is hard to fit in the rotation but he is no harder than Schröder trying to get minutes with Teague and Mack.

I think Randle is going to score the ball reasonably well and will be a plus rebounder, dribbler and passer as a PF. If he is the worst case scenario for our team, I feel very good about that. He is going to be a productive pro.

The big difference is that Sap is an UFA after next year while Teague is going to be getting the bulk of the PG minutes for the next 3 years. Mack and Scott are similar level backups. Randle is also under a team control for another year after Schröder hits free agency. I think Randle makes for better trade bait in a Love scenario as well.

Doesn't change my analysis on Schröder for #8.

For me I'd just prefer to go with the guy who's a physical mismatch in the good way vs the bad way. That's why Schröder is more attractive to me than Randle as I just don't trust him being short with short arms, small hands and poor agility time.

• Like 1

I still think this will be a very good class when it is all said and done but Diesel's comparisons are wildly optimistic. Granting that, these guys can all fall way short of his predictions and end up being high impact players. They won't all be but there will be a lot more of them out of this top 10 than last year, for example.

I would expect that 4-5 of the top 10 will be impact players to some degree and the rest will either flop entirely or will be journeymen at best as we've seen that's the trend even in the best years. If we took one of those guys who ended up being an impact player I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if he didn't end up being as good as one of the best players at his position of all time, but I really don't see that much talent or drive in most of these guys.