• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Ferry has been great but he drafted poorly last season

LastDon

Who did we draft that has the potential of Kobe?? Schröder will be Teague backup for the next 4 seasons. .We didn't need a point guard and drafted one anyway..and this year we are goin to draft another small guard like Gary Harris who is the same player as John Jenkins. .no way I'm getting my hopes up that we will draft any player I like..I like CP the year we took Marvin, Iguadola the yr we took Childress,liked anyone but Shelvin Williams so I know how this hawk thing goes..

Edited by LastDon

Who did we draft that has the potential of Kobe?? Schröder will be Teague backup for the next 4 seasons. .We didn't need a point guard and drafted one anyway..and this year we are goin to draft another small guard like Gary Harris who is the same player as John Jenkins. .no way I'm getting my hopes up that we will draft any player I like..I like CP the year we took Marvin, Iguadola the yr we took Childress,liked anyone but Shelvin Williams so I know how this hawk thing goes..

You think Kobe was a slam dunk back then? Look at his scouting report, then consider how bad his rookie season was (15 mpg, 7 ppg, 41% shooting). Think everyone was feeling rosey about him?

Strengths:

Kobe's number one strength is his maturity. He is a lot more mature than a lot of the college players and some NBA players as well. This is a huge asset because he isn't going into this without thinking like some people might think. Extremely intelligent player and student. Sees the floor very well because of his height and is an excellent finisher. Knows the game of basketball and what needs to be done to win (won the state championships without his point guard and top outside shooter). Is a true leader who often dominated games with triple teams most of the time. Can hit from three with accuracy (good %). Fierce competitor with a lot of determination. Played all 5 positions in high school so he can also work down low. Has perfected the turn around fall-away jumper (Jordan's trademark) A lot of people think he doesn't like to lift to bulk up but he'll do whatever it takes to make it in the league.

Weaknesses:

True, he is 17 (close to 18) which is huge but as his dad said "he's 17 going on 25". Has questionable ball handling skills (to be a projected point guard). May not be ready for the rigors of the NBA life and does not have the body for it right now (although his father, exx-NBA player, will be with him most of the time). Does not have a true position. Played all 5 in high school and didn't perfect any one of the five. Is very good at all 5 but not great.

I project him just as everyone else going no lower than 12 or so and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes much higher. Don't everyone jump on me at once who read this but I read that the 76ers might be interested in keeping him home. He practiced with them in the summer and they loved him. Even said they would draft him when he came out.

General Info:

Led his team to the state championship, while averaging 30 ppg. He's currently 17 years old.

Comments:

Has been compared to Grant Hill, but some scouts feel he doesn't have the ball handling and shooting skills to be an effective guard.

Summary:

He'll likely be a top 20 pick.

Also, we ABSOLUTELY needed a PG as Teague was a FA and we thought he was gone until the final minute when we matched and we had Mack but he was totally unproved and didn't think he was coming back either.

• Like 2

No, We needed a PG - Teague was a RFA, what if he was offered a ridiculous contract and Ferry decided not to match?

We had Shelvin Mack and could have resigned Devin Harris for crumbs. .and plus Lou Williams was still under contract. .I like Schröder, but do I think he will be better than Tim Jr? NO!

Devin Harris was injured, Shelvin not a starter and also a free agent, Lou is not and will never be a PG.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

We had Shelvin Mack and could have resigned Devin Harris for crumbs. .and plus Lou Williams was still under contract. .I like Schröder, but do I think he will be better than Tim Jr? NO!

So you'd rather have a chucker who doesn't play D? You think Hardaway would have looked anywhere near as good on our team where he didn't have the freedom to ISO? Now he may end up being a good player but he's never going to be a star or lead his team at the most important position like Schröder might be capable of doing.

And don't pretend like Shelvin Mack was anything or that we knew what we'd get from Lou returning from a blown ACL or that perpetually injured Devin Harris was a good idea.

And then we also traded for Cunningham so you guys are right that drafting Schröder made sense..but enough with drafting micro sized guards, the yr we drafted John I personally preferred his Vandy teammate Jeffery Taylor who showed alot of potential before the knee injury. .

And then we also traded for Cunningham so you guys are right that drafting Schröder made sense..but enough with drafting micro sized guards, the yr we drafted John I personally preferred his Vandy teammate Jeffery Taylor who showed alot of potential before the knee injury. .

Cunningham was just a trade filler.

Jenkins shot almost 39% from 3 as a rookie, which is very impressive. Way too early to write him off but if you can find a bench sniper to come in and get you points in the late 20's you are doing pretty well as you can never have enough shooters.

I also prefer SG's who are a legit 6'6 and PG's who are a legit 6'3 - 6'4 but those guys aren't always available.

• Moderators

I project him just as everyone else going no lower than 12 or so and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes much higher.

Summary:

He'll likely be a top 20 pick.

What a poorly written piece.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't see how you can judge either draft yet.

Jenkins had a good rookie year for player selected in the 20's. He should fit perfectly in Coach Bud's system when healthy. The back surgery made him miss year 2. Any reasonable person would grade that as an incomplete.

Schröder was drafted as a 19 year old PG. Grading him after one season is simply "dumb"...............for lack of a better word.

BeBe played in Spain last year and was only 20 year old. Grading him before he has played an NBA game is simply "dumb"........for lack of a better word.

Coachx has it right. Even more so when you consider we had the option of keeping these guys over seas to keep cap space available for CP3/Dwight.

• Moderators

That's after I cleaned up a bunch of typos as well. But people didn't think Kobe was going to be a superstar that's the important part.

I think a lot of people viewed him as having that potential but also a huge risk because (1) he was a more raw high school player and (2) his agent told people he wouldn't play for them.

SI says this:

He would have gone higher if not for some predraft machinations. The Nets seriously entertained picking Kobe at No. 8, but they reportedly backed off after word spread through Bryant's agent that the Philadelphia prep star wouldn't play for them.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/gallery.nba.draft.steals/content.8.html#ixzz32ZmAla00

• Moderators

Asking rookies to perform in a new system is impossible.

Virtually every rookie plays in a new system. Some are very productive. Definitely not impossible, but isn't going to happen for everyone.

Also, we ABSOLUTELY needed a PG as Teague was a FA and we thought he was gone until the final minute when we matched and we had Mack but he was totally unproved and didn't think he was coming back either.

Most of HS forgets Dennis was superior to Mack in SL. What happen is simple, once we started playing our system, Dennis had a hard time cutting down on turnovers and playing within the offense as well as dealing with NBA PG's. He needed to learn and kick out some of the bad habits he had in Europe.

• Like 1