• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Was it a mistake or was it the system? Elephant in the playoffs!

Diesel

• Premium Member

Elephant in the playoffs for Hawks fans:

Boris Diaw.

We dare not speak his name too loudly since we drafted him. However the other day I was listening to Ginobili talking about Diaw and he said:

"Everybody loves playing with him. He is smart! He knows what to do! "

Now I look up and he's the leader of the "Foriegn Legion"

When we had him... all I remember was "He sucks. He sucks. He doesn't have good BBIQ. He's threatening to go back to France."...

That being the threat, it made the JJ trade easy for me. It was like losing a player we never had. However, over the years, we have watched him FIT with the old guys. However, nobody ever mentions that he was a Hawk. Not here. Not anywhere. Was Boris Diaw a Mistake or was it just finding Popp?

Elephant in the playoffs for Hawks fans:

Boris Diaw.

We dare not speak his name too loudly since we drafted him. However the other day I was listening to Ginobili talking about Diaw and he said:

"Everybody loves playing with him. He is smart! He knows what to do! "

Now I look up and he's the leader of the "Foriegn Legion"

When we had him... all I remember was "He sucks. He sucks. He doesn't have good BBIQ. He's threatening to go back to France."...

That being the threat, it made the JJ trade easy for me. It was like losing a player we never had. However, over the years, we have watched him FIT with the old guys. However, nobody ever mentions that he was a Hawk. Not here. Not anywhere. Was Boris Diaw a Mistake or was it just finding Popp?

He didn't suck here. He was a good player but he was timid and refused to shoot the ball and the team we had we just couldn't have that type of liability on the team. Steve Nash and crew really broke him out of his shell.

• Moderators

He didn't suck here. He was a good player but he was timid and refused to shoot the ball and the team we had we just couldn't have that type of liability on the team. Steve Nash and crew really broke him out of his shell.

We could have absolutely had him on the team if we had focused on developing him instead of trying to fit his round body into a square hole. Terry Stotts was a dead man walking and then you got one of the worst coaches for utilizing a player like Diaw: Woody.

There is almost no way a young player like Diaw could ever have succeeded under Mike Woodson.

• Like 2

We could have absolutely had him on the team if we had focused on developing him instead of trying to fit his round body into a square hole. Terry Stotts was a dead man walking and then you got one of the worst coaches for utilizing a player like Diaw: Woody.

There is almost no way a young player like Diaw could ever have succeeded under Mike Woodson.

I agree that he wouldn't have developed the same under Woody but you can't just give Diaw a pass. He has no problem at all shooting the ball now when he's open but back then he'd be open by 10' and still wouldn't take the shot. That hurts the team and considering that he could actually shoot the ball pretty well, it was extremely frustrating.

Don't forget that Diaw was skinny once. He got to PHX where they played 5 guards and then he became 260 pounds and became a great center in Bud's Pop's offense.

And today if he wanted to play for the Falcons he'd be the biggest lineman you guys have! 6'9 300 something he'd be a monster LT.

• Like 1

He has no problem at all shooting the ball now when he's open but back then he'd be open by 10' and still wouldn't take the shot.

Like Pop said "it's a contract year for Boris" lol.

I do remember him being super timid with the Hawks and frustrated about it myself. I saw potential in him but the coaching staff typecast him wrong and wanted him to be something he wasn't. I honestly was happy when he left because I didn't think Atlanta was going to do his career any good. Spurs are the perfect fit for him now.

He was always a great interior passer and he's continued to improve his game over the years. The Hawks just didn't have the patience and the right coaching staff to mold him into what he is now.

Because BK was asking him to play the 1 (the opposite of the 5).

True. How weird is that? Boris has one of the weirder skill sets you'll ever see. Pop is better than all of his former coaches combined so there's that. Smart coaches know how to run the ball through a great passing Big like Noah instead of trying to make him initiate everything like Stotts did. If he weren't with the Spurs he'd be out the league no question. Love watching him play, though. If he started his career with SA, he'd be more beloved than Parker and Ginobili.

True. How weird is that? Boris has one of the weirder skill sets you'll ever see. Pop is better than all of his former coaches combined so there's that. Smart coaches know how to run the ball through a great passing Big like Noah instead of trying to make him initiate everything like Stotts did. If he weren't with the Spurs he'd be out the league no question. Love watching him play, though. If he started his career with SA, he'd be more beloved than Parker and Ginobili.

How so? He was a stud in Phoenix and that's under D'Antoni.

So was Amare

Amare actually was a stud until his knees fell apart. But you're not giving credit to D'Antoni and Phoenix for making Diaw the player he is today. He was as good or better in Phoenix than he's been in San Antonio.

• Like 1

So was Amare

Injuries derailed Amare.

I remember Diaw tearing it up in Phoenix - I was pissed wondering why he didn't give us half that in Atlanta - he wasnt ready and like I said - miscast in his role here.

Edited by JayBirdHawk