• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks are like Spurs topics

Dirtybird26

So this series makes me believe that what we are (at this stage) to the Spurs is as James McAdoo is to his father.

I really hope that the FO aims to use the base and create something different but still as effective as opposed to striving for a carbon copy.

Edited by Mdizzle5

• Moderators

Probably already on this thread somewhere but I'm too lazy to check... from June 2013 C-Viv interview w/ Popovich on Budenholzer and Ferry...

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-hawks/2013/jun/03/full-q-and-gregg-popovich-mike-budenholzer/

Q. What do you think Bud’s biggest, most lasting contribution to this run of success has been?

A. ...I think the last question, as I’m thinking about this, if you want a real specific on his importance, as I said there is not one event, somebody’s importance develops over time, your owners asked me a question – what is one example of something that is really significant that affect the team that would be the George Hill-Kawhi Leonard trade. Bud was all over me for that one. I didn’t want to do it because George Hill was one of my favorite players all-time. I had a real special relationship with that kid. To this day, we still work together on a couple of community things in San Antonio and Indianapolis. I did not want to do it but Bud was the driving force behind it. He was hammering myself and R.C. because we need a 3, we need a bigger 3. George Hill would have continued to play behind Tony Parker probably, in all logic I assume that would have been true. With Manu [Ginobili] at the 2, George wasn’t going to get all the minutes he deserved. With a need at the 3 so Manu wouldn’t have to play the position, or Danny Green, we thought this would make some sense. I remember right up until draft night, I’m sitting up there with Peter Holt, our owner, and Bud is done there hammering on R.C. and looking up at me. They are looking up, at me and I’m thinking “I don’t want to do this. Jesus I don’t want to do this.’ He made me pull the trigger and it’s been a great trade for both teams. That was something very specific that he had his hand in.

BqOJEYBCYAAPwh1.jpg

Kawhi Leonard was the 15th pick of the 2011 NBA Draft, selected by the Pacers and traded to the Spurs. Coincidentally, as of now, Budenholzer's Atlanta Hawks will pick 15th in the 2014 NBA Draft.

~lw3

• Like 2

Probably already on this thread somewhere but I'm too lazy to check... from June 2013 C-Viv interview w/ Popovich on Budenholzer and Ferry...

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-hawks/2013/jun/03/full-q-and-gregg-popovich-mike-budenholzer/

BqOJEYBCYAAPwh1.jpg

Kawhi Leonard was the 15th pick of the 2011 NBA Draft, selected by the Pacers and traded to the Spurs. Coincidentally, as of now, Budenholzer's Atlanta Hawks will pick 15th in the 2014 NBA Draft.

~lw3

C-Viv was slinging that story around last week for new material. It was really strange.

BqOJEYBCYAAPwh1.jpg

~lw3

The difference is . . . will our GM listen to Bud . . or will the GM go with what HE feels the team needs the most?

Bud isn't the problem here. We all know that. It's the GM and his decisions, that are the problem. He's the guy that has to give Bud the right pieces to work with.

Congrats to the Spurs Dynasty. The ball movement, spacing, and running wasnt surprising: I watched it all year with us. But they have 2 more ballhandlers than us, a defensive anchor in Tim, two-way stud in Leonard, and the shooting coach Chip Engleman who Ferry needs to wrestle away from them. Pop doesn't even like the three, some of them they were stroking (mainly Patty and Tony) seemed like they went in magically. Some were off balance, rushed, and out of rhythym, still money. All their perimeter players must've shot 1,500 threes every practice this series.

The trend is officially going to start now of finding all the types of guys associated with the Spurs catchphrases like "team oriented", "high IQ", and "low-maintenance" who are in great shape and can hit free throws. Thing is no one has the military background to drill his guys into a battalion like Pop, but we're definately the best candidate to replicate their style having his right hand. Hopefully Bebe can be special and Bud finds that 15th Pick magic again.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3

The difference is . . . will our GM listen to Bud . . or will the GM go with what HE feels the team needs the most?

Bud isn't the problem here. We all know that. It's the GM and his decisions, that are the problem. He's the guy that has to give Bud the right pieces to work with.

Careful not to pull something while you're reaching so far.

If there's one thing I'm not concerned with it's the relationship and respect between Bud and Ferry.

Please don't turn this into a Jefferson should have been signed so Ferry's decisions are questionable thread.

• Like 2