• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Insider info about Horford trade / Cleveland from Hairydawgz

Admin

This was posted in the trade forum but it's great info and should be shared here.

As some may know, I have a buddy of mine that I email occasionally asking about rumors I hear of. He is a smaller business partner with Hawks owner Gearon, but they talk basketball all of the time. I mentioned the Horford to Cleveland deal and this was his response.

"Sorry I passed this over the other day, just now getting to it! Cavs are not alone in hunt for Horford, but it doesn't look bright for them. They are attempting to ship Luol Deng here to Atlanta, but would like to swap him for Horford, where the Hawks want a pick included somewhere, preferably a first rounder swap."

So what I take away from this is that Cleveland doesn't want to give up any picks for Horford. And it looks like other teams may be in position to make better offers for Horford. I Don't blame Hawks for passing on that offer. Especially when we could just sign Deng outright this offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My perfect scenario would be shipping Horford / 15th to Cleveland for Deng / 1st and then moving Schröder to the Kings for the 8th pick. We'd have a nice young talented roster to build with but we'd also have some solid vets mixed in at PG, SF and PF. Maybe we take Embiid 1st overall and Smart at 8 if he's still there?

Teague
Smart
Deng
Millsap
Embiid

smile3.gif

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'd pull my hair out if we got the 1st pick overall for Horford. I hate tough decisions and having to wait to see who Ferry decides on would drive me crazy! But at least we'd get our star. Hard to pass up on Embiid when we have talked about true centers for years, but I think it'd be harder passing up on Jabari or Wiggins. If we take on Deng at $12 mil and then Embiid 1st overall, we'd have a pretty stout starting lineup w/ Embiid/Millsap/Deng/Korver/Teague.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be seen as a move to clear cap space.

He's a free agent already, you want to clear cap....don't resign him. And there's still Almenesty if the Hawks want out of Al bad enough to not get any value.

Deng also can't be sign and traded during the draft....or without him actually deciding to come to Atlanta.

This reads as purely what was considered at the last trade deadline (ooooo Fanatic is going to seeth if the Grantland guys are right) of moving him for Horf but apparently Cleveland wasn't interested in attaching any picks (that would have been great)

Edited by MaceCase
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I'd have to think that Cleveland would want to create capspace, but with Deng? Nah.

Here's where the deal can be made if Cleveland can stomach it: Horf/#15/2016 First (protected) for Bennett/Jack/#1. This deal works from the standpoint that Cleveland clears capspace. Cleveland gets a real Big. Cleveland gets rid of it's biggest bust ever and Cleveland still gets a shot at a good player at #15.

It sets the table for a big try for Lebron. They bring in Lebron, give him a coach: Mark Jackson or David Blatt

Jack makes it easier to move Dennis to the Kings.

But the real question is this:

Why is Horf on the blocks? His salary is reasonable. He's signed to two more years. He's a very good PNP guy. His defense is OK. He's a fast center. Does Bud see something else that he wants more (Embiid)?

I'd have to think that Cleveland would want to create capspace, but with Deng? Nah.

Here's where the deal can be made if Cleveland can stomach it: Horf/#15/2016 First (protected) for Bennett/Jack/#1. This deal works from the standpoint that Cleveland clears capspace. Cleveland gets a real Big. Cleveland gets rid of it's biggest bust ever and Cleveland still gets a shot at a good player at #15.

It sets the table for a big try for Lebron. They bring in Lebron, give him a coach: Mark Jackson or David Blatt

Jack makes it easier to move Dennis to the Kings.

But the real question is this:

Why is Horf on the blocks? His salary is reasonable. He's signed to two more years. He's a very good PNP guy. His defense is OK. He's a fast center. Does Bud see something else that he wants more (Embiid)?

You're missing Deng, whom I'm 99.9% certain is Ferry's #1 target this offseason.

• Premium Member

You're missing Deng, whom I'm 99.9% certain is Ferry's #1 target this offseason.

Deng can definitely be picked up in FAcy in my description.

So, if wetraded Horf/#15/2016 first for Bennett/Jack/#1. Then Sent Dennis to Kings for #8, here's how I have it:

#1 = Embiid.

#8 = Smart.

Sign Deng/Mack/Muscala/Scott

Teague/Jack/Mack

Korver/Smart/Williams

Deng/DMC

Sap/Scott/Bennett

Embiid/Muscala/Antić

The question is... how good is this team? It's a very young team but it has some good points.

Deng can definitely be picked up in FAcy in my description.

So, if wetraded Horf/#15/2016 first for Bennett/Jack/#1. Then Sent Dennis to Kings for #8, here's how I have it:

#1 = Embiid.

#8 = Smart.

Sign Deng/Mack/Muscala/Scott

Teague/Jack/Mack

Korver/Smart/Williams

Deng/DMC

Sap/Scott/Bennett

Embiid/Muscala/Antić

The question is... how good is this team? It's a very young team but it has some good points.

The question for me is whether Bennett / Jack is worth our 2016 1st and I think the answer to that is no based on what Bennett has shown thus far and Jack's age.

He's a free agent already, you want to clear cap....don't resign him. And there's still Almenesty if the Hawks want out of Al bad enough to not get any value.

Deng also can't be sign and traded during the draft....or without him actually deciding to come to Atlanta.

This reads as purely what was considered at the last trade deadline (ooooo Fanatic is going to seeth if the Grantland guys are right) of moving him for Horf but apparently Cleveland wasn't interested in attaching any picks (that would have been great)

Grantland puts out so many rumors/stories that they are bound to get one right. Then they can claim to be "insiders" while everyone forgets all of their false positives and ability to make a claim "hey they always talk!"

And everyone knows that I'm the original source of the Amnesty Al movement. So once it happens, I want everyone to know I am an insider by definition.

As a matter of history, we apparently got offers for Smoove too but never pulled the trigger. So that must mean DF has a clear idea of what he wants for Horf and that he's not moved unless the trade meets the expectation. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

I love the intrigue about the upcoming draft.

• Like 3

I like that a lot honestly no matter what we got at 8.

As a side note, isn't it cute how@Dolfan23 puts his trade threads on the general board while he moves everybody else's. gamer1.gif

1. Read the board rules as to what's considered a "trade idea" and what's considered a rumored trade discussion.

2. It wasn't my trade, it was one that @Hairydawgz said is a rumored discussion between Cleveland and Atlanta.

3. The other day I mentioned that I didn't really know you were a hater as without an avatar you didn't stand out as being on any of my lists. Now that's changed.

Clearly Ferry feels like I do about Al's probability for further major injury: not very good. I'm all for moving him while we can. He's missed what, 139 games over the last 3 years? To grow in Bud's system, you got to be out there. We simply cannot afford another pec tear at any cost.

• Like 2

1. Read the board rules as to what's considered a "trade idea" and what's considered a rumored trade discussion.

2. It wasn't my trade, it was one that @Hairydawgz said is a rumored discussion between Cleveland and Atlanta.

3. The other day I mentioned that I didn't really know you were a hater as without an avatar you didn't stand out as being on any of my lists. Now that's changed.

1272414407007s.jpg

Sounds to me that ferry knows he can move horford and his reasonable contract to crack into the top 10...well I'm glad the draft is around the corner, so we will know what happens very soon.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Sounds to me that ferry knows he can move horford and his reasonable contract to crack into the top 10...well I'm glad the draft is around the corner, so we will know what happens very soon.

We'll see if he can. While Horford isn't the problem Josh was, Ferry has and should be thinking about what's looming with Horf after this season. And just like with Josh, if the Hawks wait until he enters his final year, the offers are going to be weaker.
  • Like 1

We'll see if he can. While Horford isn't the problem Josh was, Ferry has and should be thinking about what's looming with Horf after this season. And just like with Josh, if the Hawks wait until he enters his final year, the offers are going to be weaker.

True which is probably why ferry is trying hard now. Personally I don't think there were any good offers for smith and I think just letting help walk didn't effect us since ferry picked up a better player in milsap.

Also ferry may gamble on keeping horford if he can't find a trade for Jim he likes and if horford goes through the next season without any injury successfully I can see ferry keeping him around.