• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Taking a break from the draft to improve the NBA All-Star Game

sturt

• Premium Member

If I'm NBA Czar, here's how I set this up to maximize interest in the age of technology...

- 5 All-Stars are elected in the traditional manner from each division, plus 3 additional selected by the conference ASG coach; thus, three 8-player teams show-up in the arena for each conference on ASG weekend.

- Random drawing determines which division all-star team from the East plays the 1st quarter against what which one from the West; then, same for the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

- Different from a "normal" game, there is a 10-minute period following the end of each quarter (i.e., shorter than the 15-minute NBA halftime, but longer than the 2.5 minute NBA break between quarters).

- Here's where ASG meets American Idol...

During that 10-minute period, based on in-game electronic/cyber voting that takes place, fans select 1 player from each of the division teams to play in the 4th quarter; players vote similarly to select 1 additional player from each of the division teams; and finally, the conference ASG coach selects 1 final player from each--a total of 9 players for both conferences, then, are eligible to play in the 4th quarter.

- And finally, here's where ASG meets Celebrity Apprentice...

At the beginning of each quarter, each of the players announce a charity for whom they are playing. The team winning that quarter earns for each of their charities a split of $1,000,000... except for the 4th quarter, which is set at $2,000,000. So, $5,000,000 total is up for grabs, and if a player ends up being selected to play in two quarters, of course, he gives his charity twice as much of a shot.

Bottom-line, players have some explicit motivation to put out their best effort for two reasons--first, you don't want your division to be responsible for putting the rest of the conference's divisions behind, and second, you want to do well for your charity.

All in favor, say "aye." :D

• Premium Member

Nooooo!!!!

This is very dangerous thinking. I think the worst thing that can happen to the league is too much fan influence. I really see the league considering having fans pick the lineups for a coach in an effort to make the games more watched. And what you have proposed is the first step to that. SO I say NO.

Can you imagine what would happen if after each timeout and tv timeout, the fans get to make a substitution?

I can see the headlines now...

Hawks Fans Asleep at the Wheel.. Loses 3rd playoff game in a row.

"2400 Hawks fans selected to replace the hot handed Paul Milsapp with the fan favorite Mike Scott in the midst of back and fourth action against the Boston Celtics in round 1 of the playoffs. Boston coach says he was very happy to see Millsap sitting on the bench. Coach Budenhozler said that he didn't know what the fans have against his team winning. He wished more Hawks fans would vote and overthrow the small majority that has taken over coaching decisions during timeouts and breaks. When asked why he voted to bench Millsap, one cyberfan said " I attended UVa and Mike Scott was the life of the party, I have nothing against Millsap"

• Like 1

I think we should just accept the All Star game for what it is. It's really tough to add any additional motivation unless you make it affect the current season. The MLB did that by having winner get home field in the World Series but I don't like that when a team works hard during the regular season for home field advantage only to see it go up on smoke because of an All Star game.

So basically we should just enjoy it as is and basically that it's a way for players to showboat, have fun, and provide entertainment. At least it's not the Pro Bowl....does anybody watch that?