• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Budz talking Spurs success and Kawhi Leonard on SiriusXM

Admin

Watching Kawhi Leornard play, his demeanor never changes. He's so young, and Finals MVP. I think the fact his father was murdered has a lot to do with how he handles himself... Who wouldn't? Geez... But I also think Pop is a father figure. I think Bud knows the model. I think we're lucky to have him. I also think once Duncan and Pop retire together, Bud is gone. Back to SA.

• Like 1

Watching Kawhi Leornard play, his demeanor never changes. He's so young, and Finals MVP. I think the fact his father was murdered has a lot to do with how he handles himself... Who wouldn't? Geez... But I also think Pop is a father figure. I think Bud knows the model. I think we're lucky to have him. I also think once Duncan and Pop retire together, Bud is gone. Back to SA.

Disagree with the last bit. Why come here when he could just stay on their bench? We weren't the first team to inquire about him, we're just the only team he joined. He's here for the long haul.
  • Like 2

Disagree with the last bit. Why come here when he could just stay on their bench? We weren't the first team to inquire about him, we're just the only team he joined. He's here for the long haul.

I dunno man. I think this is a learning experience for him. He was there 17 years?? Training to me. He's the perfect successor.

I think Bud will be here long-term. The cycle of the East being the weaker Conference is seemingly at its lowest point, no better time than the next few years to empty the clip and strike with a carbon copy of the most successful brand of ball the last 15 years. If he brings us a title, he's arguably instantly as iconic as Bobby Cox and Vince Dooley. The Spurs were hurt and from what I've read a little surprised he left, but they got over it pretty quick. He'll forever be known as a basketball genius for begging Pop and RC to do the Hill/ Leornard transaction. I hope like hell he can beg Ferry to take our Finals MVP at 15 or pull a vice versa and flip it for him.

Edited by benhillboy

I dunno man. I think this is a learning experience for him. He was there 17 years?? Training to me. He's the perfect successor.

I remain optimistic. He knew Popovich's time would come to an end. He came here for a reason. In some ways I feel like he chose us over San Antonio. He knew what he had there (best organization in basketball), but he chose to start his own story with Ferry.
  • Like 1

I do think if we have any success in the next coupla years and the SA job comes open we've got a problem on our hands. Are any of the other branches from that tree having any success? I don't see Philly doing anything in the near future. Who else is there?

That doesn't make any sense. If he's successful here and Popovich/Duncan retire within 2-3 years, what is he returning to?

I remain optimistic. He knew Popovich's time would come to an end. He came here for a reason. In some ways I feel like he chose us over San Antonio. He knew what he had there (best organization in basketball), but he chose to start his own story with Ferry.

Good points, I hope you're right. I think he's the best coach we've had since Lenny... Losing Quinn hurts though

• Like 1

You can't see a guy leaving an organization that's maybe won 2-3 years to go back to one that's been a winning organization for nearly 20 straight years of which you were a part of 17?

I'm not saying it's gonna happen but to totally dismiss it as a possibility isn't reasonable.

I go back and forth on this a lot..what does Bud want?

He goes to SA post Duncan--can he win like Pop did and if he doesn't how do they react to that? I can see the second coach after Pop having less pressure than the guy that replaces him.

He stays in ATL and anything he does beyond first round wins is considered a huge success. I believe he wants a challenge and isn't settling for winning first round series, but it's also easier to please our fan base than San Antonio's.

If our ownership supports him and gives Bud/Ferry the players they need I think he stays.

If we struggle because of lack of talent and SA struggles after their initial post Pop hire I could see him going home.

You can't see a guy leaving an organization that's maybe won 2-3 years to go back to one that's been a winning organization for nearly 20 straight years of which you were a part of 17?

I'm not saying it's gonna happen but to totally dismiss it as a possibility isn't reasonable.

lets say we ARE winning. Dennis will have started to blossom, players have just begun mastering the system, and we become a serious contender in the mold. Why on earth would he leave something he developed as his own? A franchise that he resurrected from quick rebuild. Players he hand-picked.

I just fail to see the logic in him leaving something he built and is successful for a franchise where he will always live under the shadow of Coach Pop.

• Premium Member

I think the only no brainer is Bud going to San Anton. He goes back because he spent 17 years there. He made relationships. Sure they will look at other guys like TT, Avery, and Monty. However, I can't see them not going after Bud. I can't see Bud not saying yes.

Finally, somebody said why would he want to live in Pop's shawdow? Isn't he already there?? You can't mention Bud without saying that his team plays like Pop's.

I think the only no brainer is Bud going to San Anton. He goes back because he spent 17 years there. He made relationships. Sure they will look at other guys like TT, Avery, and Monty. However, I can't see them not going after Bud. I can't see Bud not saying yes.

Finally, somebody said why would he want to live in Pop's shawdow? Isn't he already there?? You can't mention Bud without saying that his team plays like Pop's.

What? Where is this even coming from? If his tenure here ends up as a failure then sure, I can see him go back. But if what we're building here comes into fruition, why would he throw that away? It's not like he's Larry Brown, jumping from project to project. He's our coach, and I think he intends on starting his own legacy here.

What? Where is this even coming from? If his tenure here ends up as a failure then sure, I can see him go back. But if what we're building here comes into fruition, why would he throw that away? It's not like he's Larry Brown, jumping from project to project. He's our coach, and I think he intends on starting his own legacy here.

exactly.

As if being here is just a practice run to becoming a "real" coach. Thats like a player telling a team to trade him so he can develop, then he promises to comeback 3 years later when he has reached his potential. Doesn't make sense one bit.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I wouldn't forget the personal relationship between Bud and Ferry. It would seem they have great respect and admiration for one another and I don't think Bud easily walks away from that to go back to a place where many of the key guys he worked with would be gone.

I will say that only making to the second round will not be viewed as successful. It wasn't viewed that way with Woodson or Drew and will not be with Bud.

• Premium Member

The problem is culture. Bud doesn't have to change a culture in San Anton. 4 of their 5 championships were with Bud. Here its a struggle to get fan support media support or even owner support. His saving grace is Ferry. Wouldn't you want to be somewhere where your work was appreciated? plus he would still have Leonard and Parker!

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk