• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Free Agency: Deng or Ariza?

Diesel

Deng has never struck me as having an alpha dog attitude. He never pouted when DRose was the man. I think he was forced to score more when DR got injured twice and I don't think carrying the scoring load was best suited for him.

He always gave his all defensively.

These things stand out:

Chicago had a better winning% after Deng was traded. In fact Chicago had the best record in the East after the all star break. I like Deng a lot and would not have a problem if we are able to get him. But remember this: Chicago did get better after the trade and the Cavaliers did not get much better....I think Ariza is a better team fit and he might be a little cheaper.

These things stand out:

Chicago had a better winning% after Deng was traded. In fact Chicago had the best record in the East after the all star break. I like Deng a lot and would not have a problem if we are able to get him. But remember this: Chicago did get better after the trade and the Cavaliers did not get much better....I think Ariza is a better team fit and he might be a little cheaper.

You really think that Deng could do anything with that hot mess in Cleveland?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/02/report-luol-deng-shocked-at-mess-that-is-the-cavaliers/

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/outside-shot/Chicago-Bulls-Luol-Deng-Cleveland-Cavaliers-243322111.html

I think he could be a great fit in this system 

Exactly. Parson's will come at slightly more than Deng, but without the mileage, injuries, and is younger. You go after Parsons day 1 of FA and then go to Deng if the Rockets match. 

Cleveland was hoping Deng would bring maturity and a winning attitude along with his skills. At the time, I thought it was a great move for the Cavs and a small tank type move for the Bulls. The post trade results indicate the opposite of what I thought would happen and I am sure Cleveland expected better results as well.

Cleveland was hoping Deng would bring maturity and a winning attitude along with his skills. At the time, I thought it was a great move for the Cavs and a small tank type move for the Bulls. The post trade results indicate the opposite of what I thought would happen and I am sure Cleveland expected better results as well.

That's what happens when you have the inmates running the asylum.

• Moderators

Deng is a decent player but he is exactly that.  Citing those "pity" All-Star appearances (where they were rewarding Chicago's record more than Deng's play) will give you a false sense of his impact.  For a better sense of his impact, look at what Chicago did last season with and without him.  

• Like 1

Deng is a decent player but he is exactly that.  Citing those "pity" All-Star appearances (where they were rewarding Chicago's record more than Deng's play) will give you a false sense of his impact.  For a better sense of his impact, look at what Chicago did last season with and without him.  

Exactly, he is a good player. If we get him and added another SG/SF or Defensive Post presence, that may be enough to make us a top contender in the East. But we need more than Deng, by himself, to put us in that category.

Plenty of work to be done; and it starts tonight with the draft.

Lance Stephenson

Just remember that name folks, when that kid really blossoms into a borderline All-Star caliber player.   But knowing Hawks fans, they'll rationalize that he could've never done that here . . . like they rationalized with Al Jefferson's success in Charlotte.

No one has forgotten him....but he has flaws just like everyone else not named Bron in this free agent class.

Lance Stephenson

Just remember that name folks, when that kid really blossoms into a borderline All-Star caliber player. But knowing Hawks fans, they'll rationalize that he could've never done that here . . . like they rationalized with Al Jefferson's success in Charlotte.

He's already borderline all star player.

• Premium Member

That's fools gold AHF.  Deng's leaving is not responsible for their bump.  The emergence of DJ Augustin and Jimmy Buckets is responsible for the bump more than anything else.  Augustin gave them a scorer off the bench (which they didnt have before).

• Premium Member

Exactly. Parson's will come at slightly more than Deng, but without the mileage, injuries, and is younger. You go after Parsons day 1 of FA and then go to Deng if the Rockets match. 

Don't think Parsons play the defense as well either.  Parson has his own points though.

• Premium Member

Exactly, he is a good player. If we get him and added another SG/SF or Defensive Post presence, that may be enough to make us a top contender in the East. But we need more than Deng, by himself, to put us in that category.

Plenty of work to be done; and it starts tonight with the draft.

I disagree.  We're going to get a big bounce with Horf coming back.  IF Bebe can offer anything in the way of defense for 10 mpg then I suspect we will be top 3 in the East.

If we get to the point that we can put Bebe, Horf, Deng, DMC, and Dennis out there and shut down other teams... And Horf, Sap, Deng, Korver, and Teague out there to pull ahead of other teams, we will be damn near unstoppable.

• Moderators

That's fools gold AHF.  Deng's leaving is not responsible for their bump.  The emergence of DJ Augustin and Jimmy Buckets is responsible for the bump more than anything else.  Augustin gave them a scorer off the bench (which they didnt have before).

I didn't mean that Deng leaving was responsible for the better record.  I mean that they didn't really miss him at all.  I don't think the Bulls were any better for Deng's absence but I do think it was telling that his absence didn't slow them down one bit.

• Premium Member

I didn't mean that Deng leaving was responsible for the better record.  I mean that they didn't really miss him at all.  I don't think the Bulls were any better for Deng's absence but I do think it was telling that his absence didn't slow them down one bit.

That's the same thing.  If he would have stayed and they picked up Augustin, they would have been much better than they were.  Whenever you see a team lose it's lead scorer and still manage to stay afloat, it's a testament to their PG.  In this case, they got a mighty point Guard reserve in Augustin.  When you consider Deng, up until he was traded his was having a career year in Scoring and assists and he was having a really good year vs. his history in FG%.  When Deng was there,they spent too much time on offense trying to force the ball to Boozer.  When Augustin showed up, he put a stop to that because Boozer was inefficient.

• Moderators

That's the same thing.  If he would have stayed and they picked up Augustin, they would have been much better than they were.  Whenever you see a team lose it's lead scorer and still manage to stay afloat, it's a testament to their PG.  In this case, they got a mighty point Guard reserve in Augustin.  When you consider Deng, up until he was traded his was having a career year in Scoring and assists and he was having a really good year vs. his history in FG%.  When Deng was there,they spent too much time on offense trying to force the ball to Boozer.  When Augustin showed up, he put a stop to that because Boozer was inefficient.

I disagree on Deng (agree on Boozer).  I think they gave him up to Cleveland because they knew they weren't going to miss him very much and they didn't.  Had they had Deng he would have helped a little but not much.  Bear in mind that Deng is also offensively inefficient.  Augustin put up a .574 TS% last season with the Bulls so anyone like Boozer or Deng who took shots away from Augustin would have been a problem on offense.

Deng shot .517 TS% last season and that was his best number in 3 years.  The guy is just not that good of a jump shooter:

3-10 feet:  .358 FG%

11-16 feet:  .329 FG%

16 feet - 3pt:  .410 FG%

3pt range:  .302 FG%

These represent 75% of his shot attempts.  That is not good.

• Premium Member

I disagree on Deng (agree on Boozer).  I think they gave him up to Cleveland because they knew they weren't going to miss him very much and they didn't.  Had they had Deng he would have helped a little but not much.  Bear in mind that Deng is also offensively inefficient.  Augustin put up a .574 TS% last season with the Bulls so anyone like Boozer or Deng who took shots away from Augustin would have been a problem on offense.

Deng shot .517 TS% last season and that was his best number in 3 years.  The guy is just not that good of a jump shooter:

3-10 feet:  .358 FG%

11-16 feet:  .329 FG%

16 feet - 3pt:  .410 FG%

3pt range:  .302 FG%

These represent 75% of his shot attempts.  That is not good.

And that's what we can use to give him a lowball prove it to me contract.  Remember, we don't need another Jumpshot for the jumpshooting team, we need somebody who can put the ball on the floor and score in the paint or post up.

Honestly, we will have Sap and Horf Midrange and Korver outside.