• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Your prediction: What's next on the Danny Ferry agenda?

sturt

I know everyone is goo goo for pretty boy Parsons but I think Hayward is the more complete player when they both are done. I say go hard for Hayward and let Houston figure some other way to sign Melo.. just my 2 cents

• Moderators

When comparing guys who are contemporaries and especially so when on teams with similar records WS is great. Even with different qualities of teams WS/48 is still probably the best single star to use if you have to use one.

It is a very useful stat but is limited like pretty much every other NBA stat.  It isn't the equivalent of OPS variants in baseball, for example.  Like other stats, you should use it as one piece of a larger puzzle.

• Like 2

I know everyone is goo goo for pretty boy Parsons but I think Hayward is the more complete player when they both are done. I say go hard for Hayward and let Houston figure some other way to sign Melo.. just my 2 cents

Gordon shot extremely poor this past year. 41% from the field and 30% in 3's. Might as well sign Deng if you're going to bring in someone like that.

His shooting (for the most part) was went down as his role has increased year by year:

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4249/gordon-hayward

We have a system and a style of play where shooting is really important and it's self defeating to bring in guards and forwards that shoot poorly.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

Gordon shot extremely poor this past year. 41% from the field and 30% in 3's. Might as well sign Deng if you're going to bring in someone like that.

His shooting (for the most part) was went down as his role has increased year by year:

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4249/gordon-hayward

He did have a off year last year indeed and could probably benefit from some good coaching.. You will see now that he has some , but I stand by what I say that he will have the better career. He does not have the benefit of Harden or D12 to leave him open looks.

It's a no brainer what Ferry should do the minute FA opens up. He should offer a max deal to either Parsons or Hayward. I would offer it to Parson's personal even though I really like Hayward as well but Utah will match instantly. Parsons is the player we can get as Houston can't match anything if they want Lebron or Melo. They already are paying tons of money to Howard and Harden.

Teague

Korver

Parsons

Milsap

Horford

That lineup is downright nasty all around. We would average 100pts a game easily.

He did have a off year last year indeed and could probably benefit from some good coaching.. You will see now that he has some , but I stand by what I say that he will have the better career. He does not have the benefit of Harden or D12 to leave him open looks.

Outside of his 3pt shooting in year three it seems that his shooting has went down every year.

I like that he can handle the ball some, but that's about all that impresses me about him. Playing with Harden is a two way street. He is a black hole on offense if anything.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

I also want to say that with our shooters and offense... Players will get the shots. So to say that having Harden makes it easier for someone like Parsons to get shots means nothing to me. Parsons would get the open shots here.

It seems that Deng proves that defense, Haywood provides the ball handling and Parsons provides the best shooting. I guess you just have to make a choice.

I think when you talk about the starting lineup you have to decide what is the strength of your team. Ours will be shooting, and hustling and unselfish play. You have to decide who fits that the best.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 2

It's a no brainer what Ferry should do the minute FA opens up. He should offer a max deal to either Parsons or Hayward. I would offer it to Parson's personal even though I really like Hayward as well but Utah will match instantly. Parsons is the player we can get as Houston can't match anything if they want Lebron or Melo. They already are paying tons of money to Howard and Harden.

Teague

Korver

Parsons

Milsap

Horford

That lineup is downright nasty all around. We would average 100pts a game easily.

Wing slashers would have a field day on us. Niether Korver nor Parsons can defend quick shooting guards.

Either Korver or Parson would come off the bench. You have to start Carroll for his defense.

I'm fine adding Parsons here. Long term he is a good fit. Not sure how well he and Korver will defend the wings though.

I have wouldn't say I have disproven all correlation but comparing the numbers between Tony Parker, Jeff Teague, Ty Lawson and Isaiah Thomas is illustrative.  Clearly it is player performance that is the big driver.

It uses basic box score statistics. There is a league level adjustment so that you can compare across years, but there is no team adjustment for Win Shares as far as I know. A Team Level adjustment is where you can start to see the phenomenon of a good player on a bad team being the same as an average player on a good team. This does occur with Wins Produced from Dave Berri, he essentially uses a fudge-factor (residual) in giving players on a team "defensive" credit.

I am a bit embarrassed to admit this, but I haven't finished reading Dean Oliver's Basketball On Paper which is where defensive win shares is explained. So once I finish that, then I'd have more to say about Wins Shares. I'm not sure if this is a funny aside or not, but I actually chatted with Dean Oliver for a decent amount of time in person. He's a really nice guy and extremely intelligent. Of course I told him I thought his book was great, but I had only casually glanced at the first few chapters. My motivation is/was low on finishing it, player analytics isn't as exciting to me and there is a great deal in the book devoted to how to scout/score a game. He makes an interesting comparison between scoring a basketball game like a baseball game, and it kind of works. But he'd be the first to admit that it (as well as metrics) are rules of thumb and help out for *general* scenarios. For particular scenarios, you always have to look deeper.

I missed that day of class.

I have major problem with Win Share being any deciding factor though. Heck, DeAndre Jordan had the 10th best win share last year. Does that make him a top 10 player .

I agree it shouldn't be a deciding factor any more than any other single stat should be.  

11 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks and 68% shooting uhh yeah you could easily argue his position as 10th best last year. 

It is a very useful stat but is limited like pretty much every other NBA stat.  It isn't the equivalent of OPS variants in baseball, for example.  Like other stats, you should use it as one piece of a larger puzzle.

Agreed

Let's keep it real...

Hawks have 16 players, don't want to pay 15...
Who's getting traded?

Payne guaranteed...several others not...
Mack, Scott tendered Qualifying Offers...
Smart money is they accept offers...

Muscala on hot seat...
Patterson like Andre Miller...has shooter's chance... 
Tavares draft + stash...

Nogueria on hot seat...
Antić proved serviceable...

None or all could make roster...
Pencil in 1st rd. pick Nogueria...
Tavares, Muscala to NBADL/Europe...

Schröder, Jenkins guaranteed...
Both promising, young, skilled, cheap...
Add Mack, Patterson to that mix...

Lou Will expiring k, coming off injury...
May be difficult to move b4 Feb. - good!!!

Teague $8M/3yrs., odd man out...
Schröder, Mack, Patterson hold it down...
Lou Will, Jenkins really combo guards...
Making Teague further expendable...

(Spurs model freaks: Parker, Mills, Bellinelli...
combo guards + shooters - Teague not)

Korver $7M/3yrs. premium skill set...anchor...
DMC defensive skills may be kept...

Millsap $10M/1yr may be on the move...
Allstar w/ expiring k is attractive...
Nice piece for re-tooler...Boston/LA/Hou perhaps?
Plus, Horford/Payne/Scott/Antić are PF...

Horford $12M/2yrs injured, cant be moved...
Needs to move to PF for health reasons...

Teague $8M/3yr + Millsap $10M/1yr...in play

Pau Gasol anyone? 

Lou, Mack, Schröder
Korver, Jenkins, Patterson
Scott, DMC
Horford, Payne
Gasol, Antić, Nogueria

• Premium Member

Let's keep it real...

Who's getting traded?

Muscala on hot seat...

Tavares draft + stash...

Nogueria on hot seat...

Pau Gasol anyone?

Lou, Mack, Schröder

Scott, DMC

Horford, Payne

Gasol, Antić, Nogueria

Pau Gasol is a free agent. Also, if you're moving Teague and Millsap, you'd better be getting a better player than Pau Gasol.

I also want to say that with our shooters and offense... Players will get the shots. So to say that having Harden makes it easier for someone like Parsons to get shots means nothing to me. Parsons would get the open shots here.

It seems that Deng proves that defense, Haywood provides the ball handling and Parsons provides the best shooting. I guess you just have to make a choice.

I think when you talk about the starting lineup you have to decide what is the strength of your team. Ours will be shooting, and hustling and unselfish play. You have to decide who fits that the best.

I think part of Hayward's issue is he was the #1 option, so he was jacking up some long-twos. I think he proved he's not that #1 guy. He'd be wicked as another cog on our squad though. Of the three, I think he provides the best combination of handling, defense (very solid defender, really underrated here) and shot-creation. Unfortunately, Utah matches whatever we throw at him. I might offer a $9Mish deal at him anyway, and if they match move on to someone else.

Does drafting rodney hood and dante exum make them less likely to match a big hayward contract?

I doubt they match anything over $10M to begin with because that's an overpay and they've got Snyder over there now. Hopefully it makes them not match a $8-9M. Hayward would fix a lot of our issues.

• Like 1

Let's keep it real...

Who's getting traded?

Muscala on hot seat...

Tavares draft + stash...

Nogueria on hot seat...

Pau Gasol anyone?

Lou, Mack, Schröder

Scott, DMC

Horford, Payne

Gasol, Antić, Nogueria

Holy crap that lineup is awful! Seriously we are better than that now by a long shot.

• Like 1