• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do you think...

Diesel

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Payne and Sap seem the most redundant. I can see us trying to move Sap for a SG. I could see us moving Al for the right piece but neither Sap nor AP can play C so I don't see them both being in our future plans.

• Premium Member

Payne and Sap seem the most redundant. I can see us trying to move Sap for a SG. I could see us moving Al for the right piece but neither Sap nor AP can play C so I don't see them both being in our future plans.

Or Major Payne is just BU C/PF.

i see this having an effect on Antić's minutes and therefore, I have to believe that Antić, Muscala, and Ayón are in jeopardy.  Scott is a tweener the other way but he has friend urging him to go Join Harris in Cleveland.

It does if Bebe doesn't come over. Without question it does.

They aren't similar players. Sap progression from his rookie yr to now is nothing short of amazing. He wasn't expected to be even a good role player, he's a good player and fringe All Star.

So you are okay with Payne being drafted with his ceiling being a backup? I'm not. You should always expect a first round pick to be a starter. We already have JJ, Dennis, Bebe. All first round backups for the foreseeable future.

So you are okay with Payne being drafted with his ceiling being a backup? I'm not. You should always expect a first round pick to be a starter. We already have JJ, Dennis, Bebe. All first round backups for the foreseeable future.

Who said his ceiling is a backup ?

Who said his ceiling is a backup ?

Well Supe was making a point for Sap (which I agree with). But, the way I see it, if Al and Sap are in the starting lineup, Payne is not. Unless one of them can play SF. I think a better option is to trade one of our assets for a position of need. Am I wrong?

• Like 2

Why should all first founders be expected to be starters? I would say that for lottery picks but once outside the top 12-14 you are moving into a lot of uncertainty on how guys will develop. Certainly some lower picks become solid starters but many won't  even make a second contract. I hope Payne can be a solid starter for the Hawks but if he becomes a solid rotational guy then he's a good pick at 15. I do see him as a guy who can stay in the NBA for 10+ years and give you good production but nothing special.

• Like 1

When you don't have Superduperstars I think it's important to have quality rotation players off the bench.

There is absolutely no need to just jump in a trade Sap or Al RIGHT now. (Unless it's some other worldly offer).

I think if Payne understands the offense and more importantly the team DEFENSE, he will bump Scott and be Sap's backup.

The big question is - will Bebe be signed this season?

I'm wondering if Horford will be seeking a trade at some point due to being forced into the C spot.

Is Payne insurance?

He can if he wants to. I'm over it.

Just play basketball Al.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

He can if he wants to. I'm over it.

Just play basketball Al.

Exactly I love big al but get over it. I'm sure bud will switch the lineup up when they face off against a bigger center.

As for what happens with sap. We are keeping him and horford. You guys jump to conclusions as if we have a hall of fame big man and we don't. I'm sure ferry will try his best to keep sap and horford here longer and in the future sap may come off the bench for Payne if not traded.

We may not have a true center but this is the first time in a long while that we have a good big man rotation. If we are trying to be the spurs east we need to make sure we keep these guys...all of them. Next we need to bring in a vet center)

Horford, Sap, Payne equals quality big man rotation for the future.

For shame.

We expect our #15 pick to come right in and start, day one?  Get real.

Expect him to replace someone way down in the pecking order and

that he will be an upgrade there.

As we go into the season, expect him to get some playing time but not

a lot to begin with.  If he's as good as most of us believe, he will gradually

get more time on the floor as he learns Bud's system and he bonds with

all the rest of the Hawks.

Now, if we were talking about those first two or three picks from the lottery,

we would be very upset if they weren't starting soon after the season opens.

Already, we can see a much different team than we saw the final game last

season.  With the return of JJ and Horford from the disabled list and the addition

of Payne and maybe Patterson and the addition of Babe, several players have

no spot on the roster.  Listed above are 5 new guys.  That means that 5 guys

on our last roster are gone.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a D-league team for every NBA team and they were

allowed to assign players to their team, the entire roster, and could retain their

rights to them for two years without having them on the NBA roster.  Then, they

would be free agents, available to whichever NBA team wanted to sign them.

Just some rambling thoughts from the old man.  What do you think?

• Like 1

I'm wondering if Horford will be seeking a trade at some point due to being forced into the C spot.

Is Payne insurance?

I really do not see this happening. It's not in Al's nature.

I really do not see this happening. It's not in Al's nature.

I don't know if it's in his nature or not but coming off another pec injury his bargaining strength is somewhat diminished.

I guess he can tell DF he won't resign but I'll worry about that bridge when it's time to cross.

As of today he is our starting C. We will see if that changes after FAcy.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

It's hard to get behind the idea that Payne was the best player available.  With Gary Harris sitting there and a need for someone like him, it's hard to believe.  

I am not sure what drafting Payne means if anything at all.  Scott and Payne can definitely be on the floor together.  Similar type games although I think Payne is a better player, especially in the paint.  I could see Antić not coming back even before our draft.

Al

Paul

DMC

Kyle

Teague

Mack

Lou

Scott

Payne

Bebe

• Premium Member

Well Supe was making a point for Sap (which I agree with). But, the way I see it, if Al and Sap are in the starting lineup, Payne is not. Unless one of them can play SF. I think a better option is to trade one of our assets for a position of need. Am I wrong?

Well, first off Payne is a rookie.  Secondly, he's playing behind two allstars.  Just like you wouldn't put Payne at SF, you shouldn't put Sap there.   Therefore, his role for now is BU.  Learn the team. Learn the game at this level... He also gives us leverage in dealing with Sap at the end of the year.

Well, first off Payne is a rookie. Secondly, he's playing behind two allstars. Just like you wouldn't put Payne at SF, you shouldn't put Sap there. Therefore, his role for now is BU. Learn the team. Learn the game at this level... He also gives us leverage in dealing with Sap at the end of the year.

Makes sense. But is extremely short sighted IMO. At some point we have to not look only season-to-season but more towards the future. Out organization lets too many assets go for nothing by waiting out their final year of their contract before making a decision on them. If we were a contender then this wouldn't be as big a deal. But we aren't. If Payne is in the future plans and Paul is not, we need to get something for Paul while we can. If Paul is is our future plans, then it appears that Payne is a BU (unless one can play C or SF). That's all I'm saying. Seems like a reasonable assessment from where I am standing.

• Like 1

Makes sense. But is extremely short sighted IMO. At some point we have to not look only season-to-season but more towards the future. Out organization lets too many assets go for nothing by waiting out their final year of their contract before making a decision on them. If we were a contender then this wouldn't be as big a deal. But we aren't. If Payne is in the future plans and Paul is not, we need to get something for Paul while we can. If Paul is is our future plans, then it appears that Payne is a BU (unless one can play C or SF). That's all I'm saying. Seems like a reasonable assessment from where I am standing.

that's what he said.