• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks trade Bebe and Lou to Toronto for Salmons

GrimeyKidd

I'd feel a lot better about this if it hadn't been 18 years since the last marquee free agent was interested in Atlanta.

Right and it seems every other day there is a thread about the need to get premium talent. As it stands now we are in a position to get a top tier FA while keeping out entire team from last year intact. Whether or not FA have wanted to come here in the past, we can't give up on trying for them. Eventually our "culture" and premiere coaching will attract one.

• Like 2

1. I go to my HS reunion come back and see 200 posts.

2. Bebe n Lou aren't really worty Salmons but maybe worth what we do wit him.

3. Ferry should be/better be up to some stuff

4. Loved the reunion ;-)

Right and it seems every other day there is a thread about the need to get premium talent. As it stands now we are in a position to get a top tier FA while keeping out entire team from last year intact. Whether or not FA have wanted to come here in the past, we can't give up on trying for them. Eventually our "culture" and premiere coaching will attract one.

We aren't all the way there unless they take a fairly large paycut. Lebron can get 21 or 22 million in Miami and I believe Melo can get the same in NY.  We are closer to 15 than we are to 20. 

4. Loved the reunion ;-)

We waived Salmons, so going into free agency we have anywhere near $18,000,000 to $25,000,000 to spend. 

Oh and how long has it been since you've graduated highschool?

4. Loved the reunion ;-)

They are going to cut him to free up more capspace.

We aren't all the way there unless they take a fairly large paycut. Lebron can get 21 or 22 million in Miami and I believe Melo can get the same in NY. We are closer to 15 than we are to 20.

But we are a lot closer than we were. I guess my dislike for Lou and his contract/role might be affecting my perspective on this a bit.

• Premium Member

We waived Salmons, so going into free agency we have anywhere near $18,000,000 to $25,000,000 to spend. 

Make that 15 mil

You are way over on your estimates of our cap space.  We've got at least 45 million committed right now after extending QO's to Mack and Scott plus we've got empty slot cap charges and that doesn't include Muscala either. We are much closer to 15 million free actually. 

But we are a lot closer than we were. I guess my dislike for Lou and his contract/role might be affecting my perspective on this a bit.

Trust me I'm happy, nah thrilled, that we won't have to see Lou out there next year, but I guess I honestly believe we could have gotten more for these 2. At least that will be my belief once we miss out on adding a superstar with this newfound space. 

My biggest fear now is this allows us to overpay on non-superstar talent. 

Ferry has obviously decided that Bebe isn't worth keeping. It sucks, but there's no sense in holding onto a player that has no value (in your own eyes) just because you drafted him. 

So it's not a good sign when it comes to Ferry's ability to draft then.

• Like 1

Trust me I'm happy, nah thrilled, that we won't have to see Lou out there next year, but I guess I honestly believe we could have gotten more for these 2. At least that will be my belief once we miss out on adding a superstar with this newfound space.

My biggest fear now is this allows us to overpay on non-superstar talent.

I hear ya. I could see us paying a small premium but I don't see Ferry giving a second or third tier talent a massive contract. I think this is simply to allow us the flexibility to be players without relying on 3 way trades or sign and trades.

Like so many others, I'll withhold judgment until the smoke clears from free agency. That is where the rubber hits the road. No one on this board, much less folks around town will buy 'wait until 2015 or 2016' come October if they come up craps in this poker game.

I'll have a real hard time digesting this off-season if the best thing they can do is scramble to add some jabronie like Marvin Williams because the much bigger names took their talents back to South Beach or Chicago.

• Like 2