Merged: Hawks trade Bebe and Lou to Toronto for Salmons

GrimeyKidd

This is awesome.  While I expect Ferry to at least have a conversation with Melo or Bron (or their agents), I really don't expect them to sign here.  Looks like they're targeting Deng, another asset, and resigning Scott. Payne will not replace Scott, I think they'll move Scott to the 3 as backup.  Payne effectively replaced Bebe (who was always going to be a bit of a project, although I did like his potential).

Anyone know which year the 2nd round pick is?

Edited by ATLSmith

I just performed a generic calculation of the Hawks’ salary obligations.

These numbers include trading Lou, waiving Antić, waiving Salmons, keeping Mack, Scott, Muscala.

44.38 mil (give or take).

Al – 12 mil

Sap – 9.5

Teague – 8.0

Korver – 6.254

Carroll – 2.443

Schröder – 1.69

Payne – 1.546

Jenkins – 1.31

Mack – 1.148

Scott – 1.115

Muscalla - .817

+ Salmons buyout 1.0                                                       

That is 11 players.

Until dealt with we will still have cap holds of 4.8 (Brand), Ayón (2.85), Martin (.915).

The current salary cap for 2013/14 was 58.7. Assuming a raise in the cap to 60 million, the Hawks only have 15.6 million in cap space.  This is a direct result of last off-season where the Hawks were over the cap and couldn’t sign players beyond the minimum and exemption.  The above numbers are estimates only and do not include trades or players lost.

Cut it with the pipe dreams. The deal to drop Lou was to clear space to get a wing.  Expect Tavares to stay overseas, and Patterson to get the 13th roster spot.  Bron and/or Melo can’t come here without a trade or taking 8 million less than they could get elsewhere.

The Lou deal was a good one, but it still doesn’t taste right.

Edited by thecampster

I just performed a generic calculation of the Hawks’ salary obligations.

These numbers include trading Lou, waiving Antić, waiving Salmons, keeping Mack, Scott, Muscala.

44.38 mil (give or take).

Al – 12 mil

Sap – 9.5

Teague – 8.0

Korver – 6.254

Carroll – 2.443

Schröder – 1.69

Payne – 1.546

Jenkins – 1.31

Mack – 1.148

Scott – 1.115

Muscalla - .817

+ Salmons buyout 1.0                                                       

That is 11 players.

Until dealt with we will still have cap holds of 4.8 (Brand), Ayón (2.85), Martin (.915).

The current salary cap for 2013/14 was 58.7. Assuming a raise in the cap to 60 million, the Hawks only have 15.6 million in cap space.  This is a direct result of last off-season where the Hawks were over the cap and couldn’t sign players beyond the minimum and exemption.  The above numbers are estimates only and do not include trades or players lost.

Cut it with the pipe dreams. The deal to drop Lou was to clear space to get a wing.  Expect Tavares to stay overseas, and Patterson to get the 13th roster spot.  Bron and/or Melo can’t come here without a trade or taking 8 million less than they could get elsewhere.

The Lou deal was a good one, but it still doesn’t taste right.

HawksFanatić has an excellent article detailing the current salary cap.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/6/30/5855968/atlanta-hawks-salary-cap-lou-williams-trade

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

The complaint aren't based on last year alone, they're based on the history of this franchise in Atlanta.  When was the last time capspace benefited us?  The Dikembe signing?  That was about 20 years ago.

No one is longing for the capped-out/maxed-out days, but at the end of the day losing is losing.  I like flexibility as much as the next guy, but the reality is if we can't use the capspace effectively it might as well not be there.

But, but everybody wants to tank???!!!  It is not even July 1 yet.  Lets see what happens.  

It's funny that when we didn't have capspace, we talked about how valuable it was.  Now that we have it people act like you can't do anything with it.  I mean we missed on 2 stars last offseason, and people are acting like we will never sign anyone based off that experience.  Just like with fishing, you have to cast the line many times before you get a bite.  Some are longing for Joe Johnson back, ridiculous.

I will maintain that a huge difference between now and WLOC days, is that as long as our roster is not championship level at least we have flexibility.  

1996. That's the last time that a marquee free agent wanted to come to an up and coming Atlanta team as a free agent.  Almost 20 years ago. 

I don't think the old man in the sea even cast his line that many times trying to catch the big fish. 

• Like 1

1996. That's the last time that a marquee free agent wanted to come to an up and coming Atlanta team as a free agent. Almost 20 years ago.

I don't think the old man in the sea even cast his line that many times trying to catch the big fish.

So to sum up: we can't attract major free agents with our capspace when we have it, when we get high lottery picks we can't pick the right one - where does that leave us.

This is what we get for trading Nique :-).

So to sum up: we can't attract major free agents with our capspace when we have it, when we get high lottery picks we can't pick the right one - where does that leave us.

Well the good news is that it only took the Red Sox 80ish years to break their Babe Ruth curse after trading him. So only 60 more to go Hawks fans! 

• Like 2

• Moderators

The complaint aren't based on last year alone, they're based on the history of this franchise in Atlanta.  When was the last time capspace benefited us?  The Dikembe signing?  That was about 20 years ago.

No one is longing for the capped-out/maxed-out days, but at the end of the day losing is losing.  I like flexibility as much as the next guy, but the reality is if we can't use the capspace effectively it might as well not be there.

Cap space benefited us last offseason when we signed Paul Millsap.

• Like 2

Cap space benefited us last offseason when we signed Paul Millsap.

When you've got the ability to sign BOTH CP3 and Dwight (from a cap space perspective), signing Millsap isn't exactly something worth being proud of. 

It's like trying to pick up a hot pair of twins at the bar and ending up at home with the ugly girl who'd put out... but was really good at it. In the end you had a good night but not something you'd brag about. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

When you've got the ability to sign BOTH CP3 and Dwight (from a cap space perspective), signing Millsap isn't exactly something worth being proud of. 

It's like trying to pick up a hot pair of twins at the bar and ending up at home with the ugly girl who'd put out... but was really good at it. In the end you had a good night but not something you'd brag about. 

You know my view on last offseason:  

Plan 1 - Sign Dwight and/or CP3

Plan 2 - Tank

So I didn't have a "put together a first or second round exit team" on my agenda but it has to be said, IMO, that the cap space had some value when you were able to pick up an All-Star and a great role player (DMC) with that space.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

IMO I think Luol Deng is still a very good productive player and will fit our system like a glove.  He is 29, averaged 19/6.9/3.7 on .490 fg and .814 on ft with Chicago before being traded to Cleveland.  He still managed over 16.0/3.7 with the new atmosphere and screwed up franchise in Cleveland.

We are never going to sign a superstar player, first and foremost the ownership group will not do it.  Second of all Deng is about as high as we will go.  

Edited by Vol4ever

Plan 2 - Tank

So I didn't have a "put together a first or second round exit team" on my agenda but it has to be said, IMO, that the cap space had some value when you were able to pick up an All-Star and a great role player (DMC) with that space.

It did have some value, yes. If both DMC and Millsap continue to get better and outplay their contracts then it looks even better. 

Plan 2 - Tank

Plan 2 - Tank

While maintaining the flexibility to throw a max offer out to top player this year or shop for other upgrades.

Edited by coachx

IMO I think Luol Deng is still a very good productive player and will fit our system like a glove.  He is 29, averaged 19/6.9/3.7 on .490 fg and .814 on ft with Chicago before being traded to Cleveland.  He still managed over 16.0/3.7 with the new atmoshpere and screwed up franchise in Cleveland.

We are never going to sign a superstar player, first and foremost the ownership group will not do it.  Second of all Deng is about as high as we will go.  

His jump shooting is getting worse and worse over the last 2 years and the further you get from the basket. I think it was @coachx who broke down the #'s but it doesn't look good.  He's also played significantly more minutes than other guys we could be considering so his body has a lot of mileage on it. 

• Premium Member

and............we actually drafted Pau Gasol and look how that turned out.

So did anyone else besides Viviana report that we got a 2nd rounder from the Raps? 

USA Today:

The Toronto Raptors have agreed to send veteran small forward John Salmons and a second-round draft pick to the Atlanta Hawks in exchange for veteran guard Lou Williams and 21-year-old center Lucas Nogueira, two people with knowledge of the deal confirmed to USA TODAY Sports.