• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wojo: Deng Strong Candidate for Hawks

PSSSHHHRRR87

As a geologist, I know if some guy shows a tiny piece of rock to 50 geologists, he's probably get 49 different stories about that rock. Any move DF makes, we'll all have different opinions about it.

But at the end of the day, it is what it is...

Ya........carbon dating is a crock of horse manure.

I love how they call it "science" when there is little fact to carbon dating and basically boils down to opinions.

• Premium Member

yea if were going to overpay Deng might as well over pay a BETTER play and a YOUNGER play in Chandler Parsons and sign him 4-5 year deal to let him get better in Buds system

Parsons is a good idea, but there are several teams that want him and Houston is going to match any offer, so he's is not really available.  Bron and Melo are not going to Houston, they can forget that.  Bron going back to Miami and Melo will go to Dallas or Chicago.  A lot of folks think that Melo is going back to NY but I get the feeling that Phil is not all that enamored with Melo.  

If Danny can get the money right Id say that Luol Deng will be a Hawk.

• Premium Member

Braves have the same problems they had during the cox era and pretty much haven't done anything to improve/evolve the franchise.

The falcons have stuck with the same coach who has squandered potential Super Bowl contending teams threw or four times

See everything sucks

Except auburn war eagle

The Braves issue is the manager and GM.  Freddie is not a major league coach and that cf that we would not sign for 10 mil is playing really well as usual and the cf that occupies that position now has gone completely dan uggla.

• Moderators

So again we're looking at best a 2nd round team. This team literally hasn't changed in a decade and that's not a good thing. We have terrible expectations for our favorite basketball franchise. At least when we were in the lottery we had actual hope for landing a star. Now the franchise gives us false hope with "flexibility" that leads to nothing but the same old playoffs appearances that end badly.

A lineup of Horford, Sap, Deng, (insert SG), Teague w/ Mack, DMC, KK, Scott, Payne, Scroder, and Pero is very capable of getting to the CF in the East. If we sign Stephenson, Granger, or Hayward to be that 2 guard, we'd be a great team. A tough team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's see, Deng to the Hawks = 2nd rnd ceiling = Ferry staying employed and fooling everyone into thinking he had a plan.  Meh, seems about right.

Ferry is signed for 4 more years, tell me when the ASG has ever fired anyone under contract.  I sincerely doubt he's worried about his employment.but hey, much like you predicted the trade you also predict the impetus behind it.

• Like 1

I don't hate a move for Deng. Not ideal, but it makes us a better team.

We looked good in the playoffs.. Add a legit 2 way wing player, a healthy Al, and one other piece (which has to be part of the plan), and we atleast have a roster capable of the ECF IMO.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Deng is a good player on the right contract but a mistake on the wrong contract.  The interesting thing is that I don't think we needed to clear cap space to sign Deng so the clearing of cap space signals something more to me.  Wouldn't surprise me to see us throwing our hat into the Love discussion.  

We'll have to see.

• Like 2

I'm thinking Deng isn't plan A, but he might be among the more obtainable options. (Maybe we see if we can make anything happen with Carmello or Love, explore potential restricted free agents, then move to Deng?)  Or maybe we'll do like we did with Millsap and target Deng, show up on his doorstep at 12:01 a.m., and make him feel like our top priority.  I have no clue, but if we can get Deng for a reasonable deal I wouldn't mind - same goes for a few of the other wings out there on the market.  Adding Horford and a legit starting SF to our roster makes us pretty competitive in my opinion (hopefully good enough to beat Indiana, for instance), especially if Payne also turns out to be a quality player.

• Moderators

Not sure anyone looked at that deal and thought "Wow" other than the amount of cash spent on a guy with bad knees.

That deals shows two things:  (1) the Knicks were a desirable location because Amare had his choice of a number of places to land and (2) that was just one of many, many mistakes made but that version of Knicks management.

If Deng (or Parsons) is the best player we're going to sign with our cap space, Ferry needs to find a good second player as well. Otherwise it will be a disappointing offseason. That said, I think we would absolutely compete for the conference finals with Deng and some luck in the health department. 

• Like 1

Not sure anyone looked at that deal and thought "Wow" other than the amount of cash spent on a guy with bad knees.

Really? Amare was a very desirable player! He put up 25 and 9 with 2 blocks his 1st year in NY and 23 and 9 his last year in Phoenix.

• Like 1

Lol, good point.  I still don't think Ferry is some genius of GM-idery.  The trade coming out of left-field doesn't somehow enhance it.  What makes you so confident in him?  Just curious.

Well as AHF has pointed out right below your post, he didn't need to facilitate this trade in order to be able to sign Deng so why is it that you can say with so much faith that said trade was executed in order to be able to sign a player of Deng's caliber?

That's not me being hopeful, that's me being logical.  I guess the number one reason why I'm neutral on Ferry rather than assuming all his moves are going to work or going to suck is that I don't have my own personal idea in mind that I feel he's either living up to or not living up to.  I mean I do but I guess I don't get near as mopey when I don't see a player I wanted drafted or signed or traded off etc. etc. 

I look at the facts, I look at the myriad of factors present both internally and externally of the franchise and I look at the goals that can be achieved.  I leave my personal desires out of it thus why I can argue on either side of the tank v. not-tank fence or why throwing richer contracts at Jefferson and Ellis level free agents isn't a requirement at all to maintain a mediocre squadron.

Where I get snarky is when I see knee-jerk reactions or full on psychically gleamed posts on Ferry that ignore the facts around his moves and seem like nothing more than personal bias.  Could the team end up with Deng at the end of the summer?  That's very possible.  Is that the absolute goal that can be determined from moves that are unnecessary towards achieving that goal?  Absolutely not.

• Like 1

Where I get snarky is when I see knee-jerk reactions or full on psychically gleamed posts on Ferry that ignore the facts around his moves and seem like nothing more than personal bias.  Could the team end up with Deng at the end of the summer?  That's very possible.  Is that the absolute goal that can be determined from moves that are unnecessary towards achieving that goal?  Absolutely not.

Welcome to the Internet and Hawksquawk.  If we took away knee-jerk reactions and physically gleamed posts this place would be dull and boring and dead long ago. 

Really? Amare was a very desirable player! He put up 25 and 9 with 2 blocks his 1st year in NY and 23 and 9 his last year in Phoenix.

He still had bad knees though.  His contract was uninsured from the get go and only NY offered him that much guaranteed money thus why he went there.  The allure of the NY market is greatly overrated, look at the Nets too who played in the same market and were already set to move deeper into it in a little over a year.  They came away with Travis Outlaw, Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar and a resigned Humphries as their prized acquisitions that same summer.

Had one good season, sure, but it's not like they were a threat to go to the Finals. 

But back to my original point, if NYK was such an awesome destination, the Knicks would have been the Yankees of basketball. Instead they are more like the Orioles of basketball. A good season here or there, but pretty much an afterthought. Seems to me like players always mention them because you have to so they feel better about themselves.

He still had bad knees though.  His contract was uninsured from the get go and only NY offered him that much guaranteed money thus why he went there.  The allure of the NY market is greatly overrated, look at the Nets too who played in the same market and were already set to move deeper into it in a little over a year.  They came away with Travis Outlaw, Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar and a resigned Humphries as their prized acquisitions that same summer.

Doesn't matter that he had bad knees.  The point was that he was a very desirable player who chose NY as his destination, refuting the point that no marquee FA's wanted to play there.