• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Who am I ?

coachx

Why would you want a guy who can no longer shoot the ball? Regardless of the price I have no interest in that, especially not with the minutes he's logged on his body over his career.

I just think that Bud can control Deng's minutes. Much like Pop does with Duncan, Manu, Parker. Deng has a lot of years ahead if him. He might not do one thing great but he does a lot of things well. Prototypical Ferry guy I think. Always been a huge fan of Deng's. He seems to have killed us for so many years in a Bulls uni. Would be nice to have him on our side for a change.

I just think that Bud can control Deng's minutes. Much like Pop does with Duncan, Manu, Parker. Deng has a lot of years ahead if him. He might not do one thing great but he does a lot of things well. Prototypical Ferry guy I think. Always been a huge fan of Deng's. He seems to have killed us for so many years in a Bulls uni. Would be nice to have him on our side for a change.

You can't unring that bell Spudz. The guy has an insane amount of minutes on his body thanks to Thibs and he's breaking down. He's got a wrist that's pretty much ruined right now that for some reason he's elected not to have surgery on for 2 years and as such he's no longer a reliable jump shooter. 

He's missed 19, 7, 28, 0, 12, 33, 19 games over the past 7 seasons due to injuries.

Check out these numbers:

26,167 minutes in 725 career games including the playoffs. 36 mpg average over 10 seasons.

Now compare that with Manu:

26,909 minutes in 975 career games including the playoffs. 28 mpg average over 12 seasons.

In 2 entire more seasons plus a lot more playoff games, Manu has barely played more total minutes and has averaged 8 less minutes per game on his body.  That's a lot of wear and tear, plus you gotta see how tough that Thibs was on him to play lock down D all those years as well. 

I used to like Deng a lot but this past 2 years have really shown that he's on the wrong end of his career and trending down.

You can't unring that bell Spudz. The guy has an insane amount of minutes on his body thanks to Thibs and he's breaking down. He's got a wrist that's pretty much ruined right now that for some reason he's elected not to have surgery on for 2 years and as such he's no longer a reliable jump shooter.

He's missed 19, 7, 28, 0, 12, 33, 19 games over the past 7 seasons due to injuries.

Check out these numbers:

26,167 minutes in 725 career games including the playoffs. 36 mpg average over 10 seasons.

26,909 minutes in 975 career games including the playoffs. 28 mpg average over 12 seasons.

In 2 entire more seasons plus a lot more playoff games, Manu has barely played more total minutes and has averaged 8 less minutes per game on his body. That's a lot of wear and tear, plus you gotta see how tough that Thibs was on him to play lock down D all those years as well.

I used to like Deng a lot but this past 2 years have really shown that he's on the wrong end of his career and trending down.

Yikes! I don't like the 33 and 19 games missed the last 2 years. Why won't he get surgery? Ya I mean I guess I love the Deng that actually plays, but Deng in a suit on the pine I'm not signing up for whatsoever. So he didn't even get surgery this summer? Dang Deng (lol) you need to repair your wrist, it's kind of a big deal in basketball.

My issue with Ariza is his offense has been sporadically good at best, and on top of that we already have our 3&D wings in Korver and Carroll. I'd like some two-way creators. Bring on Hayward and Deng.

I would just like some clarification here. Did you really mean to include Korver when you said we've got our 3&D wings?

Check out these numbers:

In 2 entire more seasons plus a lot more playoff games, Manu has barely played more total minutes and has averaged 8 less minutes per game on his body.  That's a lot of wear and tear, plus you gotta see how tough that Thibs was on him to play lock down D all those years as well. 

Damn. They ain't lying when they say Thibs runs his players into the ground, that's crazy.

Check out these numbers:

In 2 entire more seasons plus a lot more playoff games, Manu has barely played more total minutes and has averaged 8 less minutes per game on his body. That's a lot of wear and tear, plus you gotta see how tough that Thibs was on him to play lock down D all those years as well.

Seeing those numbers made me shudder.

I would just like some clarification here. Did you really mean to include Korver when you said we've got our 3&D wings?

Yes. Korver being a bad defender is a myth. I think he's a good defender going by the eye test, most metrics have him as a great one. He locked up Stephenson pretty good in a couple of games.

But let's just say I'm wrong (happens all the time) and advanced stats are as well. He's at the very least an adequate defender, when coupled with his ridiculous shooting I think they balance out to make his two-way impact similar to last-year's (outlier) version of Ariza.

Edit: Coupled with that, neither Ariza nor Korver create any offense. So if they have a similar impact on the game overall (and most years Korver has been a much better player) and play in a similar way, one being a better shooter and the other a better defender, if Ariza is a 3&D player Korver is one as well in my eyes.

Edit #2: I like Korver's defense better at the 2, for the record. And I don't mean to hate on Ariza, he just seems redundant to me with Korver and Carroll on the team.

Edited by TheFuzz
  • Like 1

Yes. Korver being a bad defender is a myth. I think he's a good defender going by the eye test, most metrics have him as a great one. He locked up Stephenson pretty good in a couple of games.

But let's just say I'm wrong (happens all the time) and advanced stats are as well. He's at the very least an adequate defender, when coupled with his ridiculous shooting I think they balance out to make his two-way impact similar to last-year's (outlier) version of Ariza.

Oh no I know that Korver is a good team defender and he tries hard as heck, but PG/Stephenson absolutely took him to school the last 2 years in the playoffs. 

I like Korver a lot, I just want to see us upgrade his spot with a far better defender like Ariza and bring Korver off the bench. 

I'd rather bring in some creators. Different strokes for different folks.

I know a lot of you guys want that but I don't see it being necessary. The Spurs have gotten by just fine with the only non-PG doing that for them being Manu coming off the bench. I think we should try and find a guy like that, maybe even Jamal as @Diesel wants, but I don't think we need to go looking for a starter who can do that. 

• Moderators

Edit: Coupled with that, neither Ariza nor Korver create any offense. So if they have a similar impact on the game overall (and most years Korver has been a much better player) and play in a similar way, one being a better shooter and the other a better defender, if Ariza is a 3&D player Korver is one as well in my eyes.

Edit #2: I like Korver's defense better at the 2, for the record. And I don't mean to hate on Ariza, he just seems redundant to me with Korver and Carroll on the team.

Korver has a MUCH bigger impact on offense.  Korver creates space on the floor for other players and stretches defenses.  Even when he is not taking shots, he has one of the biggest impacts on our team on offense by opening up driving lanes for Teague, etc.

• Like 2

Good points. 

I will add this. You need a dependable 3 man front court rotation and you need a dependle 3 man wing rotation.

I like the idea of Korver, Ariza, and Carroll. I do believe they are a bit redundant too in that none of them are comfortable handling the ball. That is where Deng would balance things out some as he has pretty good handles for his size.

Hayward is the best ball handler and passer of the group but he is also the least probable to be available.

Korver has a MUCH bigger impact on offense.  Korver creates space on the floor for other players and stretches defenses.  Even when he is not taking shots, he has one of the biggest impacts on our team on offense by opening up driving lanes for Teague, etc.

Definitely.

I know a lot of you guys want that but I don't see it being necessary. The Spurs have gotten by just fine with the only non-PG doing that for them being Manu coming off the bench. I think we should try and find a guy like that, maybe even Jamal as @Diesel wants, but I don't think we need to go looking for a starter who can do that. 

True, but we need our Manu. Ariza's contract will hamper that some as he's gonna get paid in the $7-8M range, possibly more, which is why I'd pursue Hayward first. I know he's probably the least likely, but I'd at least find out if the price will be too steep.