• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ALmesty: Should we legitimately discuss amnestying Al?

Admin

Should we amnesty Al  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The deadline to amnesty our only eligible player is July 18th.  It would free up 12 million more, giving us roughly 27 million in cap space. 

I know this sounds crazy and it's been a tongue-in-cheek joke for @hawksfanatic but with 2 season ending injuries in 3 years and us being a pretty tough opponent in the playoffs vs Indy without him, maybe it's gotta be discussed. 

• Premium Member

Valid points Dolf, but unless you know for certainty you'll get an upgrade in free agency or via a lopsided trade where the Hawks take on more money than they send out, then you have to trade Al rather than amnesty. Perhaps the Hawks use some of the cap space they acquired in in the Lou deal to trade Al in a deal where they have to take back more salary than they send out.

Valid points Dolf, but unless you know for certainty you'll get an upgrade in free agency or via a lopsided trade where the Hawks take on more money than they send out, then you have to trade Al rather than amnesty. Perhaps the Hawks use some of the cap space they acquired in in the Lou deal to trade Al in a deal where they have to take back more salary than they send out.

I agree you can't just do it willy nilly and I think we all know that Ferry won't do that. My point here is what if there's a legit plan in place with some inside knowledge of it being a guarantee?  Could we be okay with saying goodbye to Al? 

That should be the last option. I'd only amnesty him if we don't get any good offers for Horford.

The point isn't to replace Al, it's to create a boatload more of cap space to go after 2 big time players this summer. If we trade Al then we're not opening up that cap space... unless it's for the superstar that we're signing. 

Is it ridiculous if like @coachx says it brings in 2 superstars to play with Millsap, Teague, Korver or DMC in the starting lineup?

Or what if it gets us Melo plus a healthy, younger and bigger Monroe to play the 5?

It's not ridiculous, but you should be able to find value for Al in a trade with his injuries. I don't know how the rest of the league views him, but I'm confident Al can return to an All-star level.

• Premium Member

No amnesty. If you put him on the market this morning with the caveat that you only will take future draft picks in return, it's my estimation that you'll have a dozen offers by this afternoon, and you send him to the highest bidder.

No amnesty. If you put him on the market this morning with the caveat that you only will take future draft picks in return, it's my estimation that you'll have a dozen offers by this afternoon, and you send him to the highest bidder.

You think so?  There are roughly 9 teams not including the Hawks who could make that trade right now. I've removed the few teams who are barely able to as they probably can't with cap holds and what not. 

• Premium Member

I agree you can't just do it willy nilly and I think we all know that Ferry won't do that. My point here is what if there's a legit plan in place with some inside knowledge of it being a guarantee? Could we be okay with saying goodbye to Al?

If that were the case, absolutely. The Hawks aren't married to the notion of keeping Al at all costs and Al won't be married to the idea of staying here once he hits free agency if he gets there as a Hawk.

• Premium Member

Eh, this feels like a reaction to the Lou/Bebe trade. Here, you're saying:

The point isn't to replace Al, it's to create a boatload more of cap space to go after 2 big time players this summer. If we trade Al then we're not opening up that cap space... unless it's for the superstar that we're signing. 

In the Lou/Bebe trade thread, you said:

1996. That's the last time that a marquee free agent wanted to come to an up and coming Atlanta team as a free agent.  Almost 20 years ago. 

I don't think the old man in the sea even cast his line that many times trying to catch the big fish.

Unless the Hemingway reference was meant sarcastically, it seems like you're barking up two different trees. Whether or not we should move Al might be a discussion worth having, but I'd guess he would be moved by trade.

Edited by supermariowest

• Premium Member

You think so?  There are roughly 9 teams not including the Hawks who could make that trade right now. I've removed the few teams who are barely able to as they probably can't with cap holds and what not. 

Not saying that the deal could be consummated this afternoon, just that you'd have some offers to sift through, some of which could be done today, others of which might require Team X to make another deal before they could actually execute the transaction.

Eh, this feels like a reaction to the Lou/Bebe trade. Here, you're saying:

In the Lou/Bebe trade thread, you said:

Unless the Hemingway reference was meant sarcastically, it seems like you're barking up two different trees. Whether or not we should move Al might be a discussion worth having, but I'd guess he would be moved by trade.

This thread is hypothetical and based on Ferry having some insider knowledge that his plan would be pulled off.  Not based on something I have faith in happening. 

The thing is that most teams with capspace would either be tank..er..rebuilding or in holding pattern over Melo/Bron.  If they facilitate a trade for Al it's likely because they and consequently the Hawks are out of the running thus removing the original reasoning for wanting to get rid of the contract in the first place. 

Either way, no need to rush the Almnesty, still got a year.

Edited by MaceCase

Not saying that the deal could be consummated this afternoon, just that you'd have some offers to sift through, some of which could be done today, others of which might require Team X to make another deal before they could actually execute the transaction.

You'd still only have the same # of teams being able to bid on him as that cap space would just be shuffled around. You're probably right that we could get an offer or more from him but who knows. Maybe those teams with space want to hold out hope for one of the free agents that are on the market, who don't have an extensive injury history. 

Either way, no need to rush the Almnesty, still got a year.

That's my guess is that if we use it, it's probably next year.  But I would think that would only happen if Al had another season ending injury and thus had drastically reduced value around the league. 

BUT... if we had a promise from LeBron and Melo that they'd play here this year, Almesty is something I'd consider, although I'd probably try and SnT Al to one of those teams first. 

Is it ridiculous if like @coachx says it brings in 2 superstars to play with Millsap, Teague, Korver or DMC in the starting lineup?

Or what if it gets us Melo plus a healthy, younger and bigger Monroe to play the 5?

It is ridiculous unless there is a GUARANTEE that you are DEFINITELY getting the two stars.

Which is what you inferred...lol.

Edited by JayBirdHawk